I am transfering all of my major files and programs to my external hard-drive (windows is missing a dll, and slows down because of it. This happened on the the other comp too, except that fried the harddrive.), an i was wondering if anyone has a recommended C++ Compiler. Right now I use Crimson editor to create the files (I am only putting n++ on my hard-drive because of you guys Evil or Very Mad ), and I use Dev Bloodshed C++ IDE to compile everything.

P.S. Obvoiusly for a windows system.
I use Dev C++, but don't do a ton of C++ to really know anything. Also, do you have another Windows comp, you can replace the DLL from that one (or chances are you can download it from the Internet, I have 4 XP machines in my house, so I can do a lot if something goes wrong).

Also Kerm, new SAX Bug, (if you don't see it, post here and you will)
its not only that, I am 90% sure Windows is COrrupt, so we are Reinstalling it, but first i am moving all of my files and reinstalling some of my stuff.
if you have an actual Windows CD (not the one your comp manufactor would have given you for restoring it to how they sent it to you), you can do a repair Windows install. I did that once, and my comp worked great after that, and the only thing I had to reinstall was AVG. Not too bad, as all my settings were saved.
Not to mention that we have so many stray files spread throughout the computer that we pretty much NEED a clean install. As long as we back up our main info we are fine, plus this gives me an opportunity to move everything of mine to my hard-drive.

P.S. Is it just me or has Kllrjohn not been on lately? He would have some good advice on the c++ compiler me thinks.
yeah, it does seem he has fallen off of the earth. As to the install, if I were you, partition your drive off to and keep Windows and Programs on one, and your data on another when you install, this way when you have to reinstall (when you have to again), your files are safe from Windows.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, it does seem he has fallen off of the earth. As to the install, if I were you, partition your drive off to and keep Windows and Programs on one, and your data on another when you install, this way when you have to reinstall (when you have to again), your files are safe from Windows.

That is almost ironic, the same info was in our tech section of the paper today Laughing
oh wow, now some people will say not to because it resticts Windows, I found that Windows doesn't even need 20.0 GB for itself (btw, that is what mine is, and I have only about 1/2 of it used.
Will Windows automatically mount the partition with your data on it?
Sorry, I'm just not seeing any SAX bugs here... Edit: Neeeevermind. I already knew about that one. Smile
jpez wrote:
Will Windows automatically mount the partition with your data on it?
Windows will auto mount any drives it can read to a letter (or to a folder if you choose so).
ANYWAYS! Back on topic, are there any other compilers besides Dev c++ that anyone reccomends?
Unless you're willing to pay for a good compiler, Dev-C++ is good enough. It's a compiler and IDE in one easy to use package. The best compilers/IDEs are not free and are best for huge commercial programs, so I think Dev-C++ should be good enough for now.
something1990 wrote:
Unless you're willing to pay for a good compiler, Dev-C++ is good enough. It's a compiler and IDE in one easy to use package. The best compilers/IDEs are not free and are best for huge commercial programs, so I think Dev-C++ should be good enough for now.
I'm going to have to concur with you on that. Go for it. Smile
Harq wrote:
ANYWAYS! Back on topic, are there any other compilers besides Dev c++ that anyone reccomends?

Dev c++ isn't actually a compiler, but an IDE. It uses the MINGW compiler, which is a win32 port of GCC. The best windows compiler I have used is MSVC (Microsoft Visual C++), and you can get the command line version of it (aka, without the IDE and RAD) for free. Otherwise, just uses MSYS w/ MINGW (google for it)

Quote:
P.S. Is it just me or has Kllrjohn not been on lately? He would have some good advice on the c++ compiler me thinks.

I was on a 7 day carribean cruise Razz
That must've been great. I want to go on a cruise some day. Also, he didn't mention it this time but it's Kllrnohj Harq.
Ok, I will look into that.

P.S. Sorry about the name misspelling, I have trouble spelling that sometimes Razz .

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours