Dapianokid wrote:
I suppose I was! Nobody left Casio behind. Smile IMHO Casio calculators are all around better devices, and have better software. The developers at Casio know their stuff, it looks like. They function much better than TI calcs, which is why its such a challenge to make games for TI calcs. Razz
The trouble is the lack of widespread adoption. TI is much more entrenched (in the US market) than Casio, although Casio has a wider following in Europe.
Quote:
Oi, I can play games on my casio? Very Happy hehehe who needs scientific calcs?
Yes, and Cemetech's Casio Prizm Games archives section is the top Google result for Prizm Games.
I know the Prizm has a games archive. Smile
I think the nSpires are like TIís way of saying ďJust math, please!Ē and the CSE is how they are trying to make up for that. The nSpire has so much storage space I would never run out, and the Prizm looks like it only has a moderately sized storage space... How large is 16mb on a Prizm when you compare it to 1.5 mb on an 84+SE?
10x larger than the SE; 5 times larger than the CSE.
Dapianokid wrote:
I know the Prizm has a games archive. Smile
I think the nSpires are like TIís way of saying ďJust math, please!Ē and the CSE is how it is trying to make up for that. The nSpire has so much storage space I would never run out, and the Prizm looks like it only has a moderately sized storage space... How large is 16mb on a Prizm when you compare it to 1.5 mb on an 84+SE?


I will say one thing. I have a 9860 and it has roughly 1.5MB of storage mem. I was always having to delete addins to make room for more.

I have yet to fill my PRIZMs full capacity and I have 5 ebooks, 16 LuaZM progs, and 18 addins on it. Also, the PRIZM's 16MB seems much more "roomy" even though the addins are larger.

BTW, 16MB is a whole lot of ebooks. Very Happy
blue_bear_94 wrote:
10x larger than the SE; 5 times larger than the CSE.
On the other hand, because TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition programs and Apps will continue to largely be hand-written assembly code (and will mostly omit full-screen images because of RAM limitations), they will be substantially smaller than their Prizm C counterparts.
KermMartian wrote:
blue_bear_94 wrote:
10x larger than the SE; 5 times larger than the CSE.
On the other hand, because TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition programs and Apps will continue to largely be hand-written assembly code (and will mostly omit full-screen images because of RAM limitations), they will be substantially smaller than their Prizm C counterparts.


Kermís point is one of the things that I was considering. The writing for 8x series calculators is done by professional, experience coders who put a lot of energy into the enthusiastic hobby that is calculator hacking. They know what theyíre doing, and most of the code I see on here makes everybody look like deities to me.
I was afraid that it may not suit my needs, but flysinfisch makes me feel much better. I mean, the only time I ever run out of room on my TI84+ SE is when I load a TI-boy SE gb/gbc ROM onto it. So the only way I would ever run out of the 16mb I get with the Prizm would be if I tried to port Minetest (Minecraft clone. One older stable release is about 14 mb without any external data, and is written in C) to it. So I understand itís like having a fancy TI84+SE basically. Why on earth do nSpires have 100mb, then...?!
Anyway, the nSpire, Prizm, and CSE all have about the same LCD density, with the Prizm being a bit wider but still about the same size. They all support the standard 16 bit color, and 65535 different colors is more than enough for me. What exactly are ďadd-insĒ?
Dapianokid wrote:

What exactly are ďadd-insĒ?


They are programs written in C/ASM, and they show up on the main menu. So I am guessing they are like ASM apps on TI's except with casio calcs they are right on the main menu. Wink
So like utilities, games, and actual math functionality? Itís like all the folders for [control panel] + [program files] + [desktop] combined into a nice menu?
Dapianokid wrote:
So like utilities, games, and actual math functionality? Itís like all the folders for [control panel] + [program files] + [desktop] combined into a nice menu?


Exactly.

All the modes (graph, run-matrix, stat) are in the main menu, as well as system settings and memory manager. After that, all installed addins are displayed.
I see.
There are sound programs, (although those take up quite some space.) file system browsers, MSDís, and other utilities for Prizms as well, arenít there? I havenít found much stuff anywhere I look as for community created utilities. I am certain the Prizm has a filesystem structure?
Dapianokid wrote:
I see.
There are sound programs, (although those take up quite some space.) file system browsers, MSDís, and other utilities for Prizms as well, arenít there? I havenít found much stuff anywhere I look as for community created utilities. I am certain the Prizm has a filesystem structure?


the filesystem is FAT-16

Utilities by gbl08ma is probably the best utilities addin out there. It has a clock, a filesystem browser, calendar, task manager, overclocker and more. Quite feature-packed.

The PRIZM connects to the computer as an MSD, but there is no current way to connect an MSD to the PRIZM. Wink
:S Iíll learn how to do that. I promise, once I get going with C... I wonít stop. But I probably wonít learn the ASM for whatever processor it has.
Wow he has an amazing utility! Itís like WiixPlorer for a Prizm.
Yes, its really amazing.

The prizm has a Renesas SH-4A processor. And no ASM tutorials that I know of. Wink
Itíd help if it were a standard, well known processor. Of course, the Prizm was definitely too good to be true. Picking an obscure processor is one of the best ways to shatter the dreams of an aspiring programmer!
As flyingfisch pointed out the Prizm has an SH-4A in it, which is a standard and well-known processor.
Perhaps Iím speaking from my limited point of view.
Itís not anything Iím familiar with, but I shouldnít have expected anything familiar anyway. Are there any free emulators out there for it? I canít find one, not that I can use one yet anyway, I still have to wait about a month to get the money for a Prizm.
benryves wrote:
As flyingfisch pointed out the Prizm has an SH-4A in it, which is a standard and well-known processor.
Standard and well-known enough to have a GCC target, no less, which is more than what we can say for our dear z80. Sad Sadly.
My father taught me a lot about what I know about computers. He has been interested in them since he was little, and his first ďtinker toyĒ was a Timex-Sinclair Z80 with 1k RAM and an analog display. Smile He helped me understand a lot about the processor.
What I know about the Nintendo Wii comes from extensive research of the writings by people who actually knew a lot about it, so I had it easy there.
So Iíll learn about the Prizm the way I learned about Wiis.
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
As flyingfisch pointed out the Prizm has an SH-4A in it, which is a standard and well-known processor.
Standard and well-known enough to have a GCC target, no less, which is more than what we can say for our dear z80. Sad Sadly.

Not to mention Visual Studio, but that's perhaps not surprising as Windows CE can run on an SH-4. Smile
Dapianokid wrote:
Wow he has an amazing utility! Itís like WiixPlorer for a Prizm.


Thanks! Utilities still doesn't read connected USB devices, connect to network shares or act as a FTP server (by the way, CALCnet on the Prizm anyone?), and it doesn't play music either Smile

Casio has a free 90-day trial of their Prizm emulator, which they call "fx-CG Manager".
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement