So recently I have managed to get my hands on a really old Mac I was supposed to try and repair, but turns out the motherboard is just so old it just fried, so now I have all these (hopefully working) parts. Sadly, not being well versed in Macs, especially old Macs, I could use a bit of help identifying some of these parts.

this part was attached to the motherboard via the white port thing on the bottom left of the picture. No idea what this is.

prettttty sure this is a video card. But it's strange because right next to this video card was this part

this also seems to be a video card, it says PCI card on the top, but doesn't have the standard monitor port that the other one had. It's really strange. edit: No wait, it is a Digi 001 PCI card. Apparently it might be for music. Probably not a video card.

edit2: this PCI card looks like this one from the side:

any light on the third and first part would be great!
Nice find!
What model is the Mac? It's kinda hard to just say right off hand without knowing where the parts came from Wink
Here's what little info on the third card that I found: http://www.ehow.com/how_8121992_troubleshoot-pro-tools-digi-001.html
Knowing the make and year of the mac is all the difference. I have a MacTracker app that lists info about that computer. It also has pictures, so if you could post a picture I could match it.

If it's an eMac (2005) it would have:

Code:
Built-in Memory   None
Maximum Memory   2.0 GB (Actual) 1.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots   2 - PC-2700 DDR333 184-pin SDRAM
Minimum Speed   --
Interleaving Support   No
Upgrade Instructions   How to remove or install memory
DISPLAY

Built-in Display   17-inch (16-inch viewable) 0.25mm dot-pitch CRT
Brightness   --
Resolutions   640 x 480 @ 120 Hz, 800 x 600 @ 120 Hz, 1024 x 768 @ 89 Hz, 1152 x 870 @ 80 Hz, 1280 x 960 @ 72 Hz
GRAPHICS

Graphics Card   ATI Radeon 9600
Graphics Memory   64 MB DDR
Display Connection   1 - Mini-VGA
Display Modes   Video mirroring only
External Resolution   --
Also, some higher-res pictures might help with reading the text off of components.
The connector on the outside edge of the second card (third photo) is a SCSI connector. That could easily be a SCSI controller.
Second is most likely a video card, as it looks to be an AGP connector. It probably uses the silly Macintosh VGA. (15 pin d sub http://old.pinouts.ru/Video/maclcvideo_pinout.shtml)
Yeah, the second is a video card. But pictures taken with something other than a potato would help to give us further clues and help out more.
Alright, I did some checking and the 2nd card is a video card, while the 3rd picture is of a SCSI adapter.

I'll take a better picture of the first item later today and post it so I can get help identifying that one part, then. Thanks for all the responses.

No idea what model or date the Mac is, but I know it's fairly old. I'll look for that information later today too, when I have some time.
qazz42 wrote:
I'll take a better picture of the first item later today and post it so I can get help identifying that one part, then. Thanks for all the responses.

No idea what model or date the Mac is, but I know it's fairly old. I'll look for that information later today too, when I have some time.

Any chance you can post a picture of the Computer shell/case as well?
pcb_master wrote:
Second is most likely a video card, as it looks to be an AGP connector. It probably uses the silly Macintosh VGA. (15 pin d sub http://old.pinouts.ru/Video/maclcvideo_pinout.shtml)

Going off what qazz42 mentioned in IRC and this post, there is only one AGP PowerMac G4.

Quote:
OVERVIEW

Introduced September 1999
Discontinued July 2000
Model Identifier PowerMac3,1
Model Number M5183, M6921, M7232, M7629, M7824, M7825, M7827
Order Number M7825LL/A, M7825LL/B (450 MHz)
Initial Price $2,499 (400/450 MHz) $3,499 (450/500 MHz)
Support Status Obsolete
Weight and Dimensions 28.7 lbs., 17" H x 8.9" W x 18.4" D

PROCESSOR

Processor PowerPC 7400 v2.9 (G4)
Processor Speed 350, 400, 450, or 500 MHz
Number of Cores 1
Cache 64 KB L1, 1 MB backside (1:2) L2
System Bus 100 MHz (up to 800-MBps data throughput)

STORAGE AND MEDIA

Storage 10 GB 5400-rpm, 10, 20, or 27 GB 7200-rpm
Media 32x CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or DVD-RAM

PERIPHERALS

Peripherals Apple USB Keyboard, Apple USB Mouse

SOFTWARE

Original OS Mac OS 8.6 (Mac OS ROM 2.5.1)
Later OS Mac OS 9.0
Maximum OS Mac OS X 10.4.11
Hardware Test Not Supported
Bundled Software --

FIRMWARE

Firmware Open Firmware
Firmware Update Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8

MEMORY

Built-in Memory None
Maximum Memory 2.0 GB under Mac OS X, 1.5 GB under Mac OS 8/9
Memory Slots 4 - PC-100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM
Minimum Speed 125 MHz (8 ns)
Interleaving Support No

DISPLAY

Built-in Display None

GRAPHICS

Graphics Card ATI Rage 128 or Rage 128 Pro
Graphics Memory 16 MB VRAM
Display Connection 1 - VGA, 1 - DVI-D
Display Modes Single display only

CONNECTIONS

Wi-Fi Optional AirPort card (802.11b)
Bluetooth None
Ethernet 10/100BASE-T (RJ-45)
Modem Optional 56k
ADB None
Serial None
SCSI None
USB 2 - 12 MBit/s
FireWire 3 - 400 MBit/s (1 internal) (15W total power)
Display 1 - VGA, 1 - DVI-D
Audio In 1 - 3.5-mm analog input jack (16-bit 44.1 kHz sample rate)
Audio Out 1 - 3.5-mm analog output jack, Built-in speaker (16-bit 44.1 kHz sample rate)

EXPANSION

Slots 3 - 64-bit 33 MHz PCI, 1 - 2x AGP
Bays 4 - internal 3.5" ATA drive bays, 1 - optical drive bay, 1 - Zip 100/250 bay
Hard Drive Interface Ultra ATA/66 (ATA-5)
Optical Drive Interface EIDE (ATA-3)

POWER

Backup Battery 3.6 V 850 mAh Lithium (922-4028)
Maximum Continuous Power 200 W
Line Voltage 115 - 230V AC
Liquid Cooling None

PROJECT NAME AND TAGLINE

Project Name Sawtooth, P5, Project E
Tagline Move over, speed of light. Introducing the Power Mac G4.

The PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) was a major revision of the PowerMac line. Based on the Unified logic board Architecture, the G4 AGP introduced a number of performance improvements. Improvements included AGP-based graphics, AirPort compatibility, a faster memory bus, DVD-ROM or RAM standard, an internal FireWire port, 2 separate USB buses for a combined 24 Mbs, a 2X (133 MHz) AGP slot, and up to 1.5 GB of RAM. The G4 AGP started at $2499 U.S. for the 450 MHz configuration with a 20 GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM, and $3499 U.S. for the 500 MHz configuration with a 27 GB hard drive and 256 MB or RAM (both included internal Zip drives). There were extreme supply issues with the G4 initially, due largely to Motorola's inability to deliver the 7400 chips in adequate supply. This was further compounded by an "errata" in the initial revision of the 7400 that effectively lowered the ceiling of the chip to 450 MHz. As a result, all models of the G4 were "speed dumped" in October. The $2499 U.S. 450 MHz model was lowered in speed to 400 MHz, and the $3499 U.S. 500 MHz model was lowered to 450 MHz. The price, and all other specs were the same. A 350 MHz configuration was subsiquently added to replace the similar G4 (PCI Graphics) configuration a month later, and the whole line was speed-bumped back up to 400/450/500 MHz in February 2000.
I just checked out my own AGP G4 PowerMac, but unfortunately I couldn't find the part in that first picture.
christop wrote:
I just checked out my own AGP G4 PowerMac, but unfortunately I couldn't find the part in that first picture.

it's a really strange part, it's connected to the motherboard directly by that white piece as seen on the bottom left. I'll be sure to take a good picture of it later this weekend.

comic, thanks for the info on it, that will be very helpful.
That first board looks very much like a modem to me - the coil and (physically) large capacitors are usually part of the phone line interface. The chip in the top left looks like a Conexant part.

Edit: I'll wager that's a WinBond chip in the middle, too. 99% sure it's a modem.
Yeah, I was gonna guess modem myself but I was hoping for a better image before saying for sure.

Also the Graphics card may or may not be the rage 128 due to the fact that the G5's AGP cards could also be used with the G4, as well as some later ATI and Nvidia AGP GPU's that could be reflashed with the IBM/Apple PPC vbios.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours