Hi all, new guy here. I hope I posted this in the right place. I just came across my old TI-84 Plus today, it's been in storage since I graduated in 2008. I apparently cleared the entire memory at one point in the past as I replaced both the backup and main batteries today and there's nothing in there. So just for the heck of it I thought I'd try to get Mario running on it. I've been working on this for 4 hours with little to no luck.

I've tried both Ion and Mirage OS. Ion I can't even get to run just syntax errors, Mirage OS will run but I can't get any programs to show in it. I've tried using both TI connect and TI connect CE. I was able to successfully update the software version on the calculator but that was it. I've tried moving the program and OS to both the archive and to the RAM using TI connect, I've tried archiving and unarchiving the files. No luck, I've even tried multiple different versions of the game from several sources. I know I had it on there years ago but I don't know how. Also every tutorial I've found has seemed a bit vague as if they're written for people who basically already know what they're doing. I'm usually pretty good with anything computer/software related but this one has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Kyle.
Hi Kyle,

We can try and help you here.

Are you able to link to the exact programs you are trying to run? Did you get them from the Cemetech archives or from ticalc.org?

Also do you know the exact model of your calculator? Just a regular TI-84+ like this:

EDIT - There is a great guide available here as well that could help: https://www.cemetech.net/tools/ti84p
It sounds like what you've done should work; Mirage should happily see any programs on your calculator, and I know of no reason Ion wouldn't work (though there's no real reason to use Ion over Mirage or DCS).

You might try installing a fresh OS, it's possible something's bit-rotted in 10 years of disuse and reflashing everything might fix it.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hi Kyle,

We can try and help you here.

Are you able to link to the exact programs you are trying to run? Did you get them from the Cemetech archives or from ticalc.org?

Also do you know the exact model of your calculator? Just a regular TI-84+ like this:

EDIT - There is a great guide available here as well that could help: https://www.cemetech.net/tools/ti84p

Thanks. I have the TI-84+ Silver Edition. The exact links I'm trying to use are

Mirage OS v1.2 from ticalc.org I sent it to the TI-84 using the device explorer program from TI. I selected to send it to the archive not the RAM. Mirage OS appears when I hit "APPS" and it opens when I hit "Enter"

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/139/13949.html

Then I used this download of Mario

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/369/36981.html

I also sent it to the archive using device explorer but it does not appear in Mirage OS

I don't know if this matters but I'm using a plain old Mini USB cable as over the years I've lost the original TI cables. I was able to install the newest OS version using this cable and TI Connect CE. Could I have possibly messed something up considering I used TI Connect CE to install the OS and the old verion of TI Connect for Mirage OS? It didn't seem like TI Connect CE wanted to allow the installation of Mirage OS.
Tari wrote:
It sounds like what you've done should work; Mirage should happily see any programs on your calculator, and I know of no reason Ion wouldn't work (though there's no real reason to use Ion over Mirage or DCS).

You might try installing a fresh OS, it's possible something's bit-rotted in 10 years of disuse and reflashing everything might fix it.

Thanks, I used TI Connect CE to install the newest OS version, 2.55MP. I then attempted to use the older version of TI Connect to install Mirage OS and Mario as TI Connect CE didn't seem to recognize the files not allowing me to transfer them. Does it matter that I'm using a plain Mini USB cable as opposed to the original TI cable? If I recall correctly the TI cable had some sort of box in the center of it. But I lost it sometime in the past. The regular cable did allow me to install the OS though.
Ok I just tried again using the same files from ticalc.org but I used TI Connect CE. It wouldn't allow me to choose where to send Mirage OS and automatically sent it to the Archive. I tried sending Mario to both RAM and Archive but either way it doesn't appear in Mirage OS. So I assume I'm doing something wrong somewhere.
Try sending Doors CS 7 (dcs.cemetech.net). I found it more easy to use then Mirage OS, and it has ASM compatibility for all shells.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Try sending Doors CS 7 (dcs.cemetech.net). I found it more easy to use then Mirage OS, and it has ASM compatibility for all shells.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Edit: Supposing I did everything right I got Doors to run and I installed the program. When I went to run it I got error 519. I'm starting to think this calculator has major issues that are beyond my ability to diagnose.

I might actually have to go back to using this thing for what it was actually made for. Not that I remember much at all about it 12 years later.
Oh! The Mario file you sent is just levels. The actual program that runs those level packs is Sam Heald's Super Mario 1.2.
Tari wrote:
Oh! The Mario file you sent is just levels. The actual program that runs those level packs is Sam Heald's Super Mario 1.2.

That could very well be my problem, like I said I don't really know what I'm doing here. Also I didn't read anything on ticalc.org when I went there I just hit download and assumed it was the right file.

Edit: Tried this with both Mirage OS and Ion I get an error that one or more files is invalid and cannot be transferred to the calculator with Mario and Ion also gives me the same error
I suspect you tried to send the 83p, not the 8xp.
Tari wrote:
I suspect you tried to send the 83p, not the 8xp.

I don't get it. There's not a single file in that folder that will send.

Edit: I do not know why I was able to put Ion on the calculator yesterday but now I cannot. According to the read me it appears that that version of Mario only works on the TI-83 and not the TI-84. Also I'm obbiously doing someting wrong or using the wrong version of the game as I was able to get a version of frogger to run with no issues whatsoever.
Kyle M. wrote:
I don't get it. There's not a single file in that folder that will send.

I sometimes have an error like that on my Mac. Do you use TI-Connect CE? If you do, try using TiLP, which I believe works a little bit better. If you are still having issues, try Sam Heald's Super Mario 2.0 (It works better, though the version was not officially released on ticalc.org). As Tari said, make sure to send the 8xp, not the 83p.
Kyle M. wrote:
...on the TI-83 and not the TI-84.

Watch out for the difference with the 83 and the 83+ (and the 84 doesn't even exist), these models are extremely different.

Also, try the SAX widget on the left of the site, or if your browser window is small, try the link at the bottom. We'll be able to help you more directly with chat.

Also, sometimes the linking software just errors. Try sending it again.
You need to ensure that you are sending mario.8xp (not .83p) as 8xp is for the 83+ & 84+.

Can I ask what version of TI-Connect you are using?
I personally have had issues sending Super Mario 2.0 with TI Connect CE, could you try with regular TI Connect instead? That worked for me last time I tried.
tr1p1ea wrote:
You need to ensure that you are sending mario.8xp (not .83p) as 8xp is for the 83+ & 84+.

Can I ask what version of TI-Connect you are using?

TI Connect CE
Jeffitus wrote:
I personally have had issues sending Super Mario 2.0 with TI Connect CE, could you try with regular TI Connect instead? That worked for me last time I tried.

Thanks I'll try regular TI Connect
You could try the original "non-CE" version of TI-Connect: https://education.ti.com/en/software/details/en/B59F6C83468C4574ABFEE93D2BC3F807/swticonnectsoftware

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours