TI hasn't finished surprising us with with his latest models in the TI-z80 family, after years of development which seemed to focus only on the TI-Nspire family.

After the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition which replaces the old TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, it's now the turn of the TI-83 Plus. Good Idea

In France, here is the new TI-83 Plus.fr for back to school 2013: Surprised

The TI-83 Plus.fr moves to a TI-84 Plus case, but keeps the french keys.

Do you think that it's just a cosmetic change like when the TI-73 Explorer moved from a TI-83 Plus case to a TI-84 Plus case in 2009 without any change to the hardware specifications?
[img]http://tiplanet.org/forum/gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=9&image_id=885[/img]

Well... This time it seems to be more than that.
Have a better look at the TI-83 Plus.fr image above...
Did you notice? You've got MathPrint! Good Idea

So a new TI-83 Plus OS in perspective?

Or is it just TI-84 hardware with a 2.53/2.55MP OS put in a case labeled TI-83 Plus?
When we think back to the current TI-82 Stats which include TI-83 Plus hardware, it wouldn't be so surprising...

What is sure, is that like they did with the TI-73 Explorer, TI will have to design a new PCB in order to move the mini-Jack I/O port from the bottom to the top.

Source:
http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11214&p=135350&lang=en
Are you sure you're not just making another fake calculator, like the TI-84 C Pocket? Razz As far as I can tell, this is just TI-84 Plus hardware labelled as a TI-83 Plus (if it's real).
Why would I post something fake on Cemetech when it's not April 1st ?
Nah, it's real Razz
critor wrote:
Because was it not you who Photoshopped the TI-84 C Pocket? Smile Anyway, assuming this is real, I'm a bit confused what TI's logic behind it is. You can see that it's the exact same case as the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, and TI France seems to be having great fun blurring the divisions between models. The TI-82 Stats.fr is a TI-83, the TI-83 Plus.fr is a TI-84 Plus, ...

Edit: Interesting, I never knew that the TI-73 Explorer in France moved to a TI-84-style case. That's rather interesting. And if the new TI-83 Plus.fr is indeed just TI-84 Plus hardware, they don't need to re-design anything. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
critor wrote:
Because was it not you who Photoshopped the TI-84 C Pocket? Smile

No, that was me Razz
-.-
I actually thought that was real, till Kerm posted otherwise.
LuxenD wrote:
-.-
I actually thought that was real, till Kerm posted otherwise.
Well, I announced it as real because I figured it was a logical step for TI. I'm still not convinced they won't create a pocket TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition eventually; I'm not sure what would be stopping them.
KermMartian wrote:
critor wrote:
Because was it not you who Photoshopped the TI-84 C Pocket? Smile

No sorry, it wasn't me.
It was Adriweb.
I was almost 100% sure that this wasn't real to begin with, mostly because of the bad photo.
Dapianokid wrote:
I was almost 100% sure that this wasn't real to begin with, mostly because of the bad photo.

could just be a crappy camera.
***my own camera sadly walks out the door.

or it could be photoshopped/gimped/ect.
It was Photoshopped. Let's not get hung up on that issue and return to the TI-83 Plus.fr issue mentioned above. Are you guys as curious as I am if they'll start blurring the lines the same way in the US, or if they'll continue to restrict these extra models to France?
if they start blurring stuff in the US, that will be a waste of money to both Us and TI. really, they shouldn't have even done it in the first place. any idea why they ever started?
LuxenD wrote:
if they start blurring stuff in the US, that will be a waste of money to both Us and TI. really, they shouldn't have even done it in the first place. any idea why they ever started?
An excellent question. It's not clear to me why there's a need for these extra models in France to begin with, although perhaps our French compatriots might be able to shed some light on the matter.
A possible item of explanation is that inhabitants of France are, on average, worse at foreign languages than inhabitants of most other Western, non-English-native countries... and the situation is not improving much, because the way foreign languages are taught in France keeps sucking Smile

When I entered my last year of high school, in 2001, for the scientific track, the amount of English classes was further reduced from 3h to 2h, which was, needless to say, flat out silly. That way, classes for the first foreign language and the second foreign language (Italian, for me) had become the exact same length: 1h full classroom + 1h in smaller groups.
However, in my high school, as we weren't enough for splitting the Italian class, we actually had 2 x 1h of full classroom... so we effectively did more Italian classes than English classes.
If you'll forgive me for repeating a false stereotype if this is untrue, it seems to me that France more than many other countries is interested in maintaining the "purity" of French from the invasion of outside languages, especially English. For example, see vocabulary like "computer" and the recent "hashtag". Anyway, I can certainly understand why TI would want to make French-language versions of their calculators, but why not have the TI-83 Plus.fr be a TI-83 Plus in French, a TI-83.fr instead of a TI-82 Stats.fr, and a TI-84 Plus Pocket.fr instead of a TI-84 Pocket.fr? The random mangling of names feels somewhat arbitrary to me in lieu of any easily-found explanations.
It would make more sense to stick to color. I'm sorry, but it's cheaper for them to use standard screens than make the ones in the current editions.
KermMartian wrote:
If you'll forgive me for repeating a false stereotype if this is untrue, it seems to me that France more than many other countries is interested in maintaining the "purity" of French from the invasion of outside languages, especially English. For example, see vocabulary like "computer" and the recent "hashtag". Anyway, I can certainly understand why TI would want to make French-language versions of their calculators, but why not have the TI-83 Plus.fr be a TI-83 Plus in French, a TI-83.fr instead of a TI-82 Stats.fr, and a TI-84 Plus Pocket.fr instead of a TI-84 Pocket.fr? The random mangling of names feels somewhat arbitrary to me in lieu of any easily-found explanations.

I think the reason why the TI-83 was renamed as a TI-82 Stats was because of the incredibly high popularity of the TI-82 in France, even years after being discontinued. Back in 2003-04, when I was very active on http://www.yaronet.com/forum.php?s=493 , almost everyone there had a TI-82 rather than a TI-83 Plus. So they probably renamed it to attract customers.

In Quebec we still have the English calculator models due to the market being much smaller than France, but now the calcs come with the Français APP pre-installed.

Also the TI-84 C Pocket SE was not posted on TI-Planet, despite being affiliated with Texas Instruments, while the TI-83 Plus.Fr redesign was. On top of that, the latter is on http://achat-groupe-calculatrice.com/nouvelles-calculatrices-texas-instruments-2013/ and http://www.boutique-calculatrice-ti.com/calculatrices-graphiques-texas-instruments/36-ti-83-plusfr-nouveaute-2013.html , which are indications that that new 83+ isn't fake. Smile
Some people in France (often derided for being old-fashioned, old-minded, and in fact just plain old ^^) are, indeed, interested in inventing French-like names for various foreign words - the operation of performing "francisation".
But in the vast majority of recent occurrences of "francisation", well, only a minority of native French speakers ends up using the French-like names anyway Smile
Sometimes, words from Québec look better than "francisé" words. The prime example is the "francisation" of e-mail. Official "francisé" for e-mail is "mél", close cousin to "tél" (abbreviation for telephone) but widely considered ugly, especially in written form. Québécois "courriel" quickly became more used than "mél" in mainland France.
Lionel, actually in local newspapers here, they were talking about how Quebec uses too many anglicized words, such as "Wow, c'est vraiment cool!", "c'est full hot" or "Anyway," then when the QC City mayor made a trip to France, he was shocked to learn that the problem was even worse in France, except that the anglicisms used were different than the ones in Quebec. But again, newspapers aren't always reliable for information veracity.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours