Late last week, a teacher in need hopped on Cemetech, looking to use Cemetech's newly-unveiled jsTIfied 1.0 online graphing calculator emulator. He soon got on SAX, our in-page chat system, to bring a glitch to my attention: his ROM would not work. The LCD just flickered on and off, he said, and jsTIfied never fully powered on. Baffled, I debugged for a few minutes with him, finally realizing that he was trying to use a TI-83 (non-Plus) ROM image. jsTIfied did not support the TI-83.

Since it seems that many teachers still emulate TI-83s to teach their classes, I worked from waking until sleeping today to build TI-83 support into jsTIfied. I overhauled the structure to more cleanly support multiple calculator models, I wrote the TI-83 support, and I spent hour upon countless hour debugging. Late in the evening I got the calculator properly running, and a few more hours bought functioning file sending, receiving, and listing. You can now emulate your favorite old-school TI-83 calculators, 27KB of user-accessible RAM and all.

As always, please tell me if you run across any bugs or glitches or have suggestions. Up next in the improvement of the Cemetech toolset is a likely upgrade or two to the trusty SourceCoder online TI-BASIC IDE.

Click here to launch the free jsTIfied online TI-83/TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus graphing calculator emulator.

That's great news!

I can't wait too see any more continuation with jsTIfied.
comicIDIOT wrote:
That's great news!

I can't wait too see any more continuation with jsTIfied.
Thanks, comicIDIOT. Smile Next would be TI-73 support, since that's identical hardware to the TI-83 Plus, then TI-82 and TI-76.fr support, which are also identical to each other and very close to the TI-83.
Seems that TI-76.Fr support works already Razz (at least emulation, not skin)
DJ_O wrote:
Seems that TI-76.Fr support works already Razz (at least emulation, not skin)
Ah, you tried loading up a TI-76.Fr? Considering that the hardware is identical, I'm not surprised. Smile I need to find a good photo of the calculator to draw a skin from, though, or at least photograph my own that I won in the TI-Concours contest.
Yep I did and the only issue was the skin showing up as 83 skin Smile
DJ_O wrote:
Yep I did and the only issue was the skin showing up as 83 skin Smile
Thanks to your comment I created and implemented TI-82 Stats.fr and TI-76.fr skins last night; they just need a little tweaking to make the screen show up properly and to align the keys.
I cannot find a 76 on education.ti.com. was this a discontinued model or something?
LuxenD wrote:
I cannot find a 76 on education.ti.com. was this a discontinued model or something?
Not a TI-76, a TI-76.fr. It's a version of the TI-83 hardware for French users. Here's TI Education's page on it:

http://education.ti.com/fr/france/products/calculatrices-graphiques/ti-76-fr
*bump*

Two days after jsTIfied gained the ability to emulate the TI-83, it has five new calculators in it repertoire. With the addition of the TI-73, TI-76.fr, TI-81, TI-82, and TI-82.fr, jsTIfied can now emulate ten different calculator models. Although these five new models are far less popular in the US, they are more popular abroad, particularly the TI-76.fr and TI-82 Stats.fr in France. I hope that these additions will prove helpful to our international friends and colleagues looking to do math, graphing, and programming without carrying their graphing calculators around. As always, please let me know if you have any suggestions or bug reports. It is unlikely that I'll add support for additional calculators like the TI-85 or TI-86, though I may explore the feasibility of emulating the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition when it is released.

KermMartian wrote:
helpful to our intentional friends and colleagues
Nice typo. Smile
Looks like these are just skin mods, or is there a little bit of difference in the hardware to correctly identify the hardware to the OS?
Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
helpful to our international friends and colleagues
Nice typo. Smile
Looks like these are just skin mods, or is there a little bit of difference in the hardware to correctly identify the hardware to the OS?
An excellent question. I did have to create new skins for these calculators. The TI-73 is emulated with the TI-83+ core, the TI-82 Stats.fr and TI-76.fr are emulated with the TI-83 core, and I made a new TI-82 core for the TI-82 and TI-81. The coding included: (1) Adding a "subtype" to be stored, to indicate if a calculator uses a particular emulation core but should be skinned as a different calculator; (2) Finding unique strings in each model's OS (across different OS versions from my different physical calculators) to identify subtypes; (3) Creating a brand-new TI-82 emulation core, for the sake of completeness, even though the TI-82 works pretty well on the TI-83 core; (4) creating new clickable keymaps for the "Parcus"-style cases.
Kerm's on a roll now ! Does anyone use the TI-86 much now ? - I think it's a great machine. I had a TI-89 Titanium but found it just a little too fussy. (I know it's not a techie term but thats how it felt....)
ti83head wrote:
Kerm's on a roll now ! Does anyone use the TI-86 much now ? - I think it's a great machine. I had a TI-89 Titanium but found it just a little too fussy. (I know it's not a techie term but thats how it felt....)
There are still a lot of us that think the TI-86 was a great piece of engineering, but sadly, TI hasn't shown any interest in the model in many a decade, and the larger screen of the TI-84+CSE means that the TI-86's only advantage is the OS's recognition of the paged RAM. IF you mean that the TI-89Ti was too complex for your tastes, that's certainly understandable; it's more of an upper-level science and engineering toool.
The 86's two other advantages are its Memory mapped LCD and its awesome menu system. Plus it supported quite a few mathematical features that they 83 series doesn't by default such as proper vector math and numerical derivatives. Though it lacks some of the statistical functionality as a trade off.
Awesome work on getting these other calculators supported! I'm sad you won't be adding the 85 and 86, as they were great calculators, but I do understand why you aren't adding them.
tifreak8x wrote:
Awesome work on getting these other calculators supported! I'm sad you won't be adding the 85 and 86, as they were great calculators, but I do understand why you aren't adding them.
At some point in the future I might end up adding them, just to have a complete set of all of the z80 calculators supported, but I feel like I'm using jsTIfied to procrastinate on getting my SourceCoder upgrades in place (which in turn is procrastinating from book work and academic work...).
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
At some point in the future I might end up adding them, just to have a complete set of all of the z80 calculators supported, but I feel like I'm using jsTIfied to procrastinate on getting my SourceCoder upgrades in place (which in turn is procrastinating from book work and academic work...).

But its Productive Procrastination, so at least something is getting done!
Yeah, I get it. Smile

I'd love to see Source Coder and Tokens support the full range of Z80 calcs. Just have to get around that whole not having time thing you both suffer from. :<
tifreak8x wrote:
Yeah, I get it. Smile

I'd love to see Source Coder and Tokens support the full range of Z80 calcs. Just have to get around that whole not having time thing you both suffer from. :<
Amen to that. I will be the first to sign up once cloning becomes commercially feasible. Smile I have also been toying with emulating the TI-84+CSE. If the processor is not much faster, and/or it has a graphics coprocessor in the ASIC, then it may be feasible. The bad part is that my skins are all 325x700 or so, and therefore I need to either depart from "realistic" skins or make the TI-84+CSE skin scaled larger than the others (which could cause a need for a lot of scrolling).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours