Pretty much what the post says.

How straightforward would porting be? Is Vi/Vim small enough to fit as an addin?
Sorry for this question, but what is Vim ? (The Linux Text Editor ?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_%28text_editor%29
From the vim developers list:

Code:
zack <at> aquarium:~/pkg-vim/trunk$ ls -l tiny-executables/*/usr/bin/
  tiny-executables/big-features/usr/bin/:
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 zack zack 1112748 2005-11-01 09:35 vim.tiny
  tiny-executables/normal-features/usr/bin/:
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 zack zack 970700 2005-11-01 09:32 vim.tiny

So yes, it's (maybe) possible, since 1MB is near the upper limit of what we can put on the Prizm. Don't forget all the dynamic dependencies, though, like curses/ncurses, the standard library, and much more. I'm inclined to think that with its non-standard keyboard, vim's advantages just won't be that powerful on the Prizm, and therefore not really worth it over a more basic editor.
ah, ok.

is anyone working on a simple text editor right now?
do you think we it would be possible to port this text editor for fx9860 to PRIZM?
I tried once without success. But you may be better than me
what was the sticking-point?
Back to the topic, IMO you should not port vi because it would be useless; its power is based on the standard keyboard. Imagine scrolling with "hjkl" on the prizm's keyboard Wink

It would be cool to have nano on the prizm.
Casimo wrote:
Back to the topic, IMO you should not port vi because it would be useless; its power is based on the standard keyboard. Imagine scrolling with "hjkl" on the prizm's keyboard Wink

It would be cool to have nano on the prizm.
Or any standard text editor, for starters. Smile You make a good point about vi/vim not being well-suited to a Prizm indeed, although I suppose the hotkeys could be modified to fit the Prizm's keyboard better.
flyingfisch wrote:
what was the sticking-point?

There are some built-in text input syscalls, i tried to use them, but everything became chaotic
I am working on supporting nucurses in libfxcg you could help with my fork of libfxcg maybe implement more xterm escape characters. https://github.com/ComputerNerd/libfxcg
Ncurses compiles just fine with this configuration
it works but just displays a bunch of garbage characters on screen.

Code:

./configure --host=sh3eb-elf --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu  CFLAGS="-m4a-nofpu -mb -Os -mhitachi -Wall -I$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/include" CXXFLAGS="-m4a-nofpu -mb -Os -mhitachi -Wall -I$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/include -lsupc++" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/lib -nostartfiles -T$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/toolchain/prizm.x -Wl,-static -Wl,-gc-sections" --without-gpm --disable-database --disable-termcap --with-fallbacks=xterm --with-gnu-ld

Also I have got python to compile. It will run but during start-up it runs out of heap. Here are the instructions on how to compile python2.7
Step 1 create a file called config.site and put in it
ac_cv_file__dev_ptmx=no
ac_cv_file__dev_ptc=no
Step 2 run CONFIG_SITE=config.site ./configure --host=sh3eb-elf --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu CFLAGS="-m4a-nofpu -mb -Os -mhitachi -Wall -I$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/include" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/lib -nostartfiles -T$HOME/Documents/casio/libfxcg/toolchain/prizm.x -Wl,-static -Wl,-gc-sections" --disable-ipv6 --without-threads --without-signal-module
Replace directories with your's
Step 3 edit pyconfig.h and add the following lines
#define DONT_HAVE_STAT 1
#define DONT_HAVE_FSTAT 1
#define PY_FORMAT_LONG_LONG "ll"
Step 4 edit Makefile
Replace all references of -O3 with -Os
Step 5 edit Modules/python.c change main(int argc,char ** argv) to main (void)
After #include "Python.h" add #include <fxcg/terminal.h>
After int
main(void){
Add
FXCGinitTerminal
FXCGgetArgs
NO semicolens needed
(optional but recomeneded)
the line before the }
add
int key;
GetKey(&key);
Step 6 run make python
I wonder if trying to remix PrizmIO with an ncurses backend would make it more or less sane than it already is. I tend to think it would just get less sane, sadly.

Anyway, more on-topic: Have you done some debugging to try to track down why it's displaying garbage?
Not all of the escape codes are implemented yet so they end up getting displayed on screen.
See
http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html
And see
https://github.com/ComputerNerd/libfxcg/blob/master/libfxcg/misc/drawtiny.c
I would like to point out that I wrote a quick example that uses some terminal escape codes that one works good see
https://github.com/ComputerNerd/libfxcg/tree/master/examples/terminal

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours