Abandon the JS-free design?
Yes, and use AJAX and CodeMirror, as described.
 100%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but I'll tell you below how you should change it.
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, that would make it useless to me.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

I have long made an effort to keep SourceCoder free of AJAX and Javascript, at least for core features. Specifically, you can import, edit, and export programs without strictly needing Javascript. The calculator keypad and jsTIfied of course require JS, but they're not core features. I know that many of the teachers and students that use SourceCoder are stuck on whatever browser their school has installed, which far too often is something like IE6.

I have toyed with making importing, exporting, and checking programs take place via AJAX, to make the interface more fluid. In addition, Deep Thought told me about CodeMirror, a rather spiffy-looking JS-powered code editor that supports syntax highlighting and option auto-completion. So the question in the poll: should I/we abandon the JS-free core and use AJAX and CodeMirror? Or abandon the JS-free core and adopt some other system? Vote and please elaborate on your thoughts below.
Totally go for the Ajax Implementation, it's much faster, smoother and cleaner. I also feel as if you integrate it more into Jstified with the JavaScript. For example you could do live editing (say you type in code, it automatically gets edited in-calc program) and vice versa. You also need to fix the html error thing.
You need to give me a more specific MWE for the failure case in the SourceCoder bug reports thread. Yes, I agree that AJAXified saving and other functions would be much cleaner, though the danger of making the tool inaccessible to non-JS users remains.
giac has many frontends, such as on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, etc.. These are just a top-layer of what you are really doing, which is just interfacing with giac.

So long that the site is split up into core components and other juicy features, you can still have everyone benefiting with having access to the core SourceCoder as well as any nicer frontends.
If you want to get fancy, you could maintain a JS-Free version and an AJAX based version. Though, most schools (around here at least) are starting to move towards Windows 7, which comes packaged with IE 9, if I'm not mistaken. IE 9 has no issues with AJAX at all.

EDIT: I can only speak for my own part of the country

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours