Dapianokid wrote:
Well from everything I hear, this project is a dream come true. Smile

Same Here. Razz
Thanks, guys. I finally was able to (emulate) adding a new calculator from the bridge, which shows this on SAX:
Quote:
[21:49] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'IRCHub' has new calculator 1234567890 from EtherBridge
Unfortunately, it takes three transmission attempts to achieve this, for some reason:

Code:
Init ENC28J60
Init done
ENC28J60 version 7
Requesting IP Address
My IP: 192.168.0.120
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS IP: 6.6.6.6
GW IP: 192.168.0.1
Resolving host gcnhub.cemetech.net via 192.168.0.1
Init ENC28J60
Init done
ENC28J60 version 7
Requesting IP Address
My IP: 192.168.0.134
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS IP: 6.6.6.6
GW IP: 192.168.0.1
Resolving host gcnhub.cemetech.net via 192.168.0.1
Metahub IP: 142.4.211.228
DFC: Data requested. gcnState: 0
DFC: Data requested. gcnState: 1
RC: Data received: ><
DFC: Data requested. gcnState: 2
RC: Data received: >18062FF8900000AAAAAAAAAA90AB495243000002A<
:RESETs
Bridge initialization complete!
RC: Data received: >18062FF8900000AAAAAAAAAA90AB495243000002A<
Well that looks fantastic, could I get details on how u manage to do that?
Now we're one step closer to TI-84+ WiFi Very Happy
I suppose so. Smile I haven't gotten a chance to work on this in a few days; I need to figure out what's up with needing to send the join message multiple times for it to go through. Dapiano, I'll provide more details when I finish it.
looks yummy to me! Smile How much would you expect it to cost to upgrade an existing Arduino based bridge to PC-free status?
elfprince13 wrote:
looks yummy to me! Smile How much would you expect it to cost to upgrade an existing Arduino based bridge to PC-free status?
Whelp, so far it requires only a $5 (or less) EN28J60 and a $0.50 74LS08 (AND) gate plus a handful of resistors that you probably have lying around anyway. If you build it with a programmed Atmega 328 instead of an Arduino, it's probably about $15 of parts, all told. I may consider designing a PCB for it, if it ends up working well.
This is really cool, i think that I'm going to build it (once Kerm gets it working and releases the how-to s)
I'm willing to bet that somebody could use a similar software to use a legit wifi hotspot, or a bluetooth device to connect to your computer while it is running a gcnclient. I mean, has anybody tried those?
Dapianokid wrote:
I'm willing to bet that somebody could use a similar software to use a legit wifi hotspot, or a bluetooth device to connect to your computer while it is running a gcnclient. I mean, has anybody tried those?
You could use a pair of serial bluetooth devices to get the Arduino solution to work wirelessly, sure, but you still need a computer on one end. The goal of this is not to make a wireless bridge, but to make a computer-free bridge. The wireless option is another project entirely.
Ah no, not entirely. If I remember correctly, I would be willing to bet that most hotspot generators (like those ones from verizon) probably come with an ethernet cable. Just plug it in, and (hopefully) it should react like it would to a hardwired connection.

On the other hand, I barely know what I'm talking about. >>

I suppose you've considered some really basic IP stuff? You can ping 127.0.0.1 and does it go to localhost?
I should really look into using the stellaris to make a gcn bridge. It already has drivers to emulate a com port over usb shouldn't be that hard actually.

EDIT: But that defeats the point of having a computer less gcn bridge now doesnt it?

EDIT 2: looks like someone has already ported a networking library for the stellaris using the same ethernet sheild as you Kerm
Roguebantha wrote:
Ah no, not entirely. If I remember correctly, I would be willing to bet that most hotspot generators (like those ones from verizon) probably come with an ethernet cable. Just plug it in, and (hopefully) it should react like it would to a hardwired connection.

On the other hand, I barely know what I'm talking about. >>

I suppose you've considered some really basic IP stuff? You can ping 127.0.0.1 and does it go to localhost?
Uh? You mean in CALCnet or with this ENC28J60 adapter? With the ENC28J60, I've been able to get an IP via DHCP, find the IP of gcnhub.cemetech.net via DNS, connect, and handshake with the server.
Oh sorry, I meant with the ENC adapter. That's really good though that you've gotten so far! What I meant though, was that does it support lo/loopback ? Or is it eth0, outgoing traffic only? Also, could you very much in theory, if you did a big RAM boost, and probably a flash card upgrade too, have a TI-84 calc running as a server? I have quite an idea for this if this is true. It actually probably wouldn't require a RAM or flash upgrade at all...do you have http working? Or ftp?

You said you've been able to ping IP. Try pinging 127.0.0.1 and see if you get a response. That's basic localhost IP protocol, and in theory, you would be pinging yourself Razz

This looks really cool and really worth it. Very Happy
I understood your question, but it's orthogonal to the purpose of this device. You can have other devices on the network acting as storage, and you can indeed use a calculator as a networked server. As you know, Gossamer and Sandpaper are web and FTP clients, respectively, but I don't see calculator-based web/FTP servers in the foreseeable future.
how hard would it be to make a web server that is specific to GCN devices, i wonder?
LuxenD wrote:
how hard would it be to make a web server that is specific to GCN devices, i wonder?

Not hard at all I don't think. Really, it would probably just be a matter of making sure information is formatted correctly...if you ran it off of a calc, it would probably be easier. Maybe...
Roguebantha wrote:
LuxenD wrote:

Not hard at all I don't think. Really, it would probably just be a matter of making sure information is formatted correctly...if you ran it off of a calc, it would probably be easier. Maybe...
No easier or harder that running it as a computer program. It's something that's been suggested before, but since Gossamer is more of a toy that anything at this point, I'd rather focus my time on projects that a lot of people use (Doors CS, jsTIfied, SourceCoder, Cemetech, ...).
Agreed Smile Gossamer is kind of eye candy/calculator candy more than anything else. At this point, it doesn't bear much usefulness. ><
Roguebantha wrote:
Agreed Smile Gossamer is kind of eye candy/calculator candy more than anything else. At this point, it doesn't bear much usefulness. ><

Sandpaper would probably be more useful if it was complete - as would all Cn2 programs that serve some particular purpose. All Gossamer really said was, "It can be done."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours