Now, before I start, I'd like to say yes, I know this is an old tablet pc. This was just more for fun and to see what would work and what wouldn't.

Windows 8 itself installed flawlessly onto the device, but it left several devices without even generic drivers to use. I was able to get audio working via the Win XP driver, by running it in compatibility mode and running as an administrator, which alerted me to the fact a hardware item is continuously disengaging from the machine. (It keeps making the noise like a flash drive was removed)

I haven't yet figured out what is causing the issue.

I do still need to find a way to get drivers to load for the

"Ethernet controller
Unknown Device
Video Controller"

The XP version of the Video Controller will not install, it encounters a problem. And using the Update driver option from the Device Manager gives an error that the driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows.

I'm going to continue playing with it, see if I can find a way to get these other devices to work, and figure out why this thing keeps telling me a device is being unplugged.
I've had bad experiences recently installing a new OS onto an older system and the drivers not correlating. As far as I can tell, unless you are getting a specific Windows 7 or Windows 8 driver for a device on Windows 8, the device simply won't work.
If you can get the thing internet somehow the motion computing site claims most of the drivers will be pulled automatically from Windows Update. My suggestion would be to find a Wifi adapter or similar that you know you have the driver for and use that to give it Wifi and thus internet access(perhaps at the library) to run windows update.

Actually a quick poking around revealed that the Ethernet adapter is a realtek chip. So appears that you can get the Ethernet driver from Realtek [url=http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true]here.[/ur]

A trick I like to do in these sorts of cases is to look at the name of the XP download and either go to the manufacturers website to find the windows 7 download and if I can't find it there to search for it via your search engine of choice.
I know this is an old thread but I'll add my nickles worth. I bought my LS800 about a year and a half ago and lucked out because it was brand spanking new in the box. After inquiring to a few people at Motion I was told that at the time there were still a little under 300 units floating around the country somewhere that were brand new.

I upped the RAM ro 2GB right away and was content with the 40GB HDD it had. Ive had luck installing pretty much any OS I wanted to on the LS800, various Linux flavors (Iliked Mint and Ubuntu), XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. However, Windows 8 would not function correctly because of the screen resolution expected by the Metro interface, the LS800 is only 800x600, but it did at least install. I have not attempted Windows 8.1.

Currently I am running Windows 7 Professional on my LS800 and its been a great little machine for my artistic needs given its Wacom compatible screen. Its about time for me to move on from it though so I'll probably throw it on eBay or something for $100. I have miscellaneous vids of the LS800 on my YouTube site at http://www.youtube.com/user/stevegossett64. Hope any of this helps others with this neat little tablet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours