What was the best completed project of December 2023?
CalcText BASIC, a script to simplify text programs
 20%  [ 4 ]
CrossBun: Crossword program for the TI-84+ CE
 80%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 20

On the last of the Twelve Days of PotY, we say farewell to 2023 by taking a look at December's multitude of magnificent projects.
  • Calc2KeyCE: Dmalenke has intensely optimized his software which allows you to cast your screen from a computer to a calculator. As the name suggests, it also supports translating calculator key presses into keyboard or mouse actions.
  • CALCCIV - Port of Civilization for the TI-84+ CE: Relative newcomer BattyBest’s adaptation of Freeciv Classic is going strong! This month we got new eye candy and the fruit of the past several months’ labor. Truly impressive progress for a truly impressive project; check out the changelog.

• CalcText BASIC, a script to simplify text programs: New member reptile23 built a Python tool that assists with creating graph screen text programs. It features a small collection of commands that will greatly accelerate the production of this sort of TI-BASIC program. Check out the program if you are interested in these programs.
  • CE Automated Testing Framework: Captain Calc has started work on a testing framework for C++ projects built with the CE toolchain. This is a great way to employ TDD in your next project, so be sure to check it out on GitHub.
  • CEaShell: A Shell for the TI-84+ CE: TIny_Hacker has given us a first look at CEaShell 2, a complete rewrite of his popular shell. The rewrite is faster, smaller, and even more feature-rich, so be sure to show your support and be on the lookout for its next release.

• Celtic BASIC library for the CE: In the nick of time, RoccoLox Programs has released version 1.0.1 of their BASIC library, with plenty of bug fixes and more stable commands. Check it out on GitHub!
  • Citadel: A TI-84+CE Roguelike [C]: kilo has continued work on their roguelike, massively improving enemy pathfinding and adding a host of animations and other artistic details.

• CrossBun: Crossword program for the TI-84+ CE: Scrambling to release a calculator project before the year’s close, commandblockguy made a sleek crossword puzzle player. Now you can bring crossword puzzles with you on your calculator, using a Python script on a computer to convert the puzzles from the common .puz format.

• DuckHunt Development [C]: Development continues on Alvajoy123’s DuckHunt clone! This month there was some incremental progress and a few stumbling blocks; hopefully we’ll see some big updates in the upcoming months!
  • HD Picture Viewer [C] [TI-84 Plus CE]: Armed with vacation time, TheLastMillennial is preparing a fresh rewrite of his HD picture viewer, adding a GUI and better scaling capabilities. Be on the lookout for the full release!

• mini-utils: A minimal set of minimal x86_64 Linux utilities: clevor has added clear to their set of deliberately miniature replacements for common Unix utilities. Keep an eye out for more of their ever-smaller updates.
  • Portal Prelude Playdate Port: Ivoah has brought portals to their Portal Prelude port for the Playdate console. Check out their progress on GitHub!

• [TI-BASIC] Shades 84+ CE Port: Michael2_3B has been hard at work on version 1.3 of his TI-BASIC CE classic, “Shades”. With his usual style, care, and attention to detail, he has added tile themes and is working on difficulty settings.

• Sonic 2 CE: A port of 8-bit Sonic 2 for the TI-84+ CE (WIP): grubbycoder has provided an update on his Sonic 2 port, showing off a successful render of the game’s intro and title screen. Be sure to check out his hard work the thread and source on GitHub.

• Spriter, a TI-BASIC sprite / icon editor for the TI-84+ CE: Over these end-of-year holidays, TIny_Hacker spent some downtime working on his sprite editor, which is implemented using Celtic CE. He added a much-needed cursor and scale indicator this month, with more features to come.

• TI84CE operation benchmark: Cemetech newcomer xcelxiao, curious about the lackluster speed of floats on the eZ80, has implemented and executed a benchmark for various methods of performing arithmetic operations. While the qualitative results won’t be particularly surprising to experts, their numerical results are worth looking at.
  • Train Simulator Controller: Resident train aficionado KermMartian has created a thread chronicling his odyssey of replicating. Linked in the thread are several separate posts on Kerm’s blog delving deep into the unique electromechanical lessons that he has learned and part-sourcing problems that he has solved.

• VYSION 2 CE: the ultimate CE shell: In the latest update to his expansive TI-84+CE shell, epsilon5 released a boatload of improvements that he has been cooking up for the past year.

We closed out this year with many projects from new Cemetech members, and eagerly await what's in store for 2024. Of course, we have yet to find the best of the best of the last two years, so look out for PotY 2022 and PotY 2023 in the coming weeks!
Great work here from both iPhoenix and kg583, getting the twelfth and last of our Twelve Days of PotY articles written and posted in short order! I'm impressed and proud of all the editors who came together to publish twelve PotM articles in twelve days, and thrilled that this means we're actually all up-to-date with our Projects of the Month articles for the first time in far too many years. Coming soon:
  • PotY 2022 vote
  • PotY 2023 vote
  • Your votes for the best projects of December 2023, all of 2022, and all of 2023!
Let's go! I never thought I'd live to see this moment.
Calculatordream wrote:
Let's go! I never thought I'd live to see this moment.

It's certainly something I never expected to see either. A big thanks to everyone who worked hard to get these out in such a timely fashion, it was truly impressive! Laughing
I'm always so excited to see what everybody is up to.
Great job everyone! I can’t believe it but somehow we’re all caught up on the articles now. Looking forward to the PotYs! And let’s try and stay up to date from now on Smile
Great job y'all I love to see those votes with great projects from people all over the world Very Happy
Guys y'all should get a look at CEaShell tho it's beautiful ngl Laughing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours