I have downloaded a game file called Mario.8xp
It is 12 kB, and when I go to parse it in Source Coder, it comes back with :- Detokenization process failed at ...0x61, 0x72,...! Prevous context was:
AsmCmp?0)SFull+DegreeAnsrandM(M

Help
alanclem
Sounds to me like it's an Assembly program, which means you won't be able to open it with SourceCoder. SourceCoder only works with BASIC source files.

Also, I moved your topic to the SourceCoder subforum.
Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks for that. : Confused
alanclem wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks for that. : Confused
Merthsoft is exactly correct (as one would expect of such a smart guy!). To clarify the details of the error that SourceCoder threw, TI-BASIC programs are written as a series of tokens. A one-byte or two-byte value represents (often) a much longer token, like Disp or For( or Output( or Horizontal. Assembly programs are made up of opcodes interspersed with data, and when you try to display ASM programs as if they were BASIC, some of the byte sequences in the ASM don't translate to any valid token. Even the ones that do translate are complete gibberish, such as "AsmCmp?0)SFull+DegreeAnsrandM(M ".
Thanks again. So now I have to learn all about Doors CS to be ale to run this game ? As I mentioned when I first subscribed, I am 82 years old and I still like a challenge but my brain is starting to hurt.
Briefly, if I install Doors CS on my TI-84+, I should then install the game ?, and the game would then run OK ?
As far as I can see, there is no way to translate the ASM into BASIC.
I am keen to read and understand BASIC programs.
You don't have to actually learn anything about Doors CS (though you're welcome to, especially if you want to make ASM programs that use the Doors CS libraries). All you have to do is transfer DoorsCS.8xk (the app) to your calculator along with whatever program you want to run through the link cable and run the program from Doors CS.
Thanks again. The pain is starting to ease off. Smile May I ask again, 'Is there any way to convert an ASM game to TI BASIC?
I remember many years ago, we had a 'compiler' which would compile a BASIC program for the Commodore 64 into machine language, but we had nothing to do the opposite.
No, there is no way to convert an ASM game to TI BASIC. That being said, there are lots and lots of BASIC programs out there that can help you understand, and we will, of course, help you along the way. A great resource is Kerm's book, which you can find here:
http://www.manning.com/mitchell/
I suspected as much, but a firm 'no' is a good answer.
I have had Kerm's book about 2 weeks now, but it is a book which requires slow and complete assimilation. It is only by ill-luck that I inadvertently choose an ASM game early on. Your offer of continuing help is indeed welcome. I have no doubt whatsoever that I shall need it. Many thanks for everything so far.
If you are looking for BASIC games (or other programs) to examine to try to understand, which I think is an admirable approach and a great way to get a feel for a language, you should check out the TI-BASIC sections of the Cemetech and ticalc.org archives:

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=folder&path=/83plus/basic/
http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/
Thanks again for that Kerm. I already have collected 5 or 6 sites having Basic programs. I am particularly interested in games types. It's time now to get stuck into your book. My TI-84+ arrived a couple of days ago.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours