GinDiamond wrote:
Only 21kb of ram? why not even more? like 32kb usable?
Did you bother reading the rest of the topic?

KermMartian wrote:
LuxenD wrote:
i was talking about how the advancements in technology would allow for so small storage as that, why cant ram also be getting smaller. i know how ram and flash are different.
It is getting smaller, you're absolutely right. What it's not doing is getting exponentially cheaper. Of course, 8GB of RAM costs what 128MB of RAM cost fourteen years ago, so there's no financial excuse for the low RAM of TI's calculators. However. Remember, the z80 has a 64KB address space, so the available user RAM (without a complete OS rewrite) has to be less than 64KB. Page 0 has to be ROM Page 0, leaving us 48KB or less of RAM. We also need some OS software loaded on Page 1, so we can have 32KB or fewer of RAM. And subtract all of the system variables, graph buffer, VAT, stack, Symbol Table, and you're left with 21KB. Could TI swap in other RAM pages in a scheme to give you much more RAM? Absolutely. Would it require re-writing many things? Unfortunately, yes.
Ashbad wrote:
Eh, that battery life is depressing, but at least it's chargeable. I personally prefer the (what seems to be) 250 hour battery life of the Prizm, even if it's not built around being rechargeable.

I also prefer industry standard AA/AAA/C/D devices because the cells are inexpensive, readily available, and you have more options. You can choose whether you want rechargeable or not and get to select your preferred rechargeable technology and capacity (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn, low-self-discharge or not, etc.). It's not as convenient for charging, but at least you've been able to get replacements for decades without having to pay $600 for a proprietary battery, if it hasn't already been obsoleted. Razz
I recall the TI-86 had 96Kb of RAM. Not sure how much was usable. So TI already had experience in modifying their OSes to support a little more RAM.

I wish TI would have taken the plunge and given it some more RAM.
The TI-86 had 128 KB RAM, of about 96 KB was user-accessible. In addition to system usage, there was about 7 or 8 K (something like that, I think) at a fixed location reserved by the OS to copy ASM programs to and run them (so programmers didn't have to worry about relocation), and there was an entire 16K page which was mostly unused (the OS mostly used a tiny piece of it for expression stacks and temporary storage). Many ASM programs made use of that page for temporary storage.

I think the VAT also had a page all to itself, which might partly explain why there was so much paging and performance overhead while accessing and running BASIC programs and variables (not to mention that any of them could cross page boundaries at any point, and the OS had to constantly take that into account). But, hey, you got a lot of space to work with in exchange. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours