While 1
Input "",Str0
if Str0 = "HELLO"
Disp "HELLO!"
if Str0 = "STOP"
Stop
expr(Str0
End
Basically, this program will look like a normal ti-calculator and run like it too, but if you enter the string "HELLO" it says hello back,and if you enter "STOP" the program ends. Basically, the program is intercepting the text you put on the homescreen and running it through an additional series of if statements. It's similar to that in Libraries. It hooks the parser that interprets the commands that you run on the homescreen, and adds its own interpreter to the mix.
ah, i think i understand now....

would it be possible to this with casio calcs?
I'm sure it would be, if you can run assembly.
KermMartian wrote:
Roguebantha wrote:
I have started coding in a Linux OS for the TI-83/84/SE series using BatLib.[...]
I hate to be pedantic (well, I probably actually don't hate it Wink ), but people expect that the Linux kernel be underneath something calling itself Linux. A command line is awesome, especially if you're emulating the standard binutils commands, but calling it Linux is misleading.
I completely agree with KermM. This shouldn't be called Linux if it isn't a kernel. Besides, linux has no idea what whoami and su is. What you just created was GNU coreutils and such. I would recommend a name change.
Hmm, yeah, what would you call it?
Roguebantha wrote:

bash?
Roguebantha wrote:
Not linux. Again, you are recreating GNU coreutils. Name it coreutil or bash?

<edit> Looked at command list again. Fits bash better.
:/ The thing is, I want people to know this is a "Linux" terminal emu. Or commandline or whatever.
Note that the commands you posted don't just run on linux, but also run on windows with cygwin and on OS X (as well as other unixy systems).

* AHelper votes for bash
True. Very true. That makes sense then as to not call it just Linux. But the name corutil is not very descriptive...
BASH... you are porting BASH. That is what most unix systems use. Wink
There are MANY illegal strings in this style, though! though rarely used..

A bash shell would make my day.
Or better yet, an appvar based filesystem :O and a whole app! this should get underway haha.
Comon it’s christmas, we need a present.
I have moved this thread to the "Your Projects" subforum.
AHelper wrote:
Note that the commands you posted don't just run on linux, but also run on windows with cygwin and on OS X (as well as other unixy systems).

* AHelper votes for bash
At this point it's more like sh, considering it has no history scrollback, no auto-completion, no colors, etc.

Edit: Shaun: Thanks, that's where it should be.

Dapiano: "illegal strings"? What do you mean?
flyingfisch wrote:
BASH... you are porting BASH. That is what most unix systems use. Wink

The problem with calling it "BASH" is similar to the problem with calling it "Linux" -- people will expect it to be functionally identical to Bash, which has many nuances and features. Keep in mind, there are a lot more shells out there than just bash (sh, csh, tcsh, to name a few) that this this can be claimed to be similar to. It's definitely a shell coupled with some coreutils, but it doesn't have all the features of bash. It's also more than a shell; it also features a sort of filesystem as well, which is beyond the scope of a shell itself. It's a really cool project so far, but picking a proper name in this case will define what users should expect from the program suite. I personally don't know what it should be called, but I also don't think that "Linux" nor "Bash" describe it correctly. If anything, it somewhat reminds me of Cygwin in its purpose.

Seth, do you have any features in mind like reading/executing shell scripts, or language structures like functions in mind? That'd definitely be a pretty neat addition.
Would it be an emulator if its in hybrid BASIC and not techincally an OS or shell?
TI - Bashic. xD
GinDiamond wrote:
Would it be an emulator if its in hybrid BASIC and not techincally an OS or shell?
It is a clone of the core userspace binaries for Unix like systems. Basically a busybox for the calculators. Except that it isn't even close to conforming to the POSIX standards, but if you really want to call it something I suggest TI-sh or something referencing the fact that it is a clone of a POSIX shell. That said without scripting support its not real useful as a shell.
If it was an actual 8xk, could you fit more stuff in it to be more like an emulator?

Isn't there a distro of linux that works on z80's?
GinDiamond wrote:
If it was an actual 8xk, could you fit more stuff in it to be more like an emulator?

Isn't there a distro of linux that works on z80's?

No linux will not run on a z80, there is something that claims to be linux but is really just a clone of a gnome like DE.

And its not an emulator, its a clone. At least in the technical sense.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours