Over the past few days, we've been watching our webserver load rise as more users discover Cemetech and the useful resources that we offer. In an effort to evaluate the steadily-increasing loads this has generated, we have temporarily moved to an upgraded server. Over the course of this evaluation period, things should run as expected and hopefully be even faster, more reliable, and smoother than usual. Ideally, the move should be entirely invisible to you (and if you're reading this, you have indeed made it to the new website).

Between last night and early this morning, we migrated Cemetech in her entirety, code, databases, and all, to the new server. Please be on the look-out for broken pages, features, and anything else that's amiss. We'd appreciate any bug reports, per usual, in the Bug Reports topic. Thanks in advance for anything you might discover, and we'll keep you all posted on what our experiment reveals.

That's an impressive spike of traffic. Do we have any idea what those two sharp spikes back in 2008 were?
elfprince13 wrote:
That's an impressive spike of traffic. Do we have any idea what those two sharp spikes back in 2008 were?

The one in July 2008 was the Clove 2 typing glove being featured on Slashdot. The one from January 2009 was the Ultimate Calculator 1.
Figured they were Slashdottings of some kind Smile We should get more of those!
elfprince13 wrote:
Figured they were Slashdottings of some kind Smile We should get more of those!
Absolutely. But we need to make sure we make more Slashdot-worthy projects to make that possible!
Thats also an impressive rise in traffic towards the end of this year. I feel the new TI-84 will further boost interest calculator programming / re-purposing. The existing TI-83/84 family is looking dated and holds little attraction compared to the current crop of smart phones and tablet devices. In general though, I feel it is cool to be a "geek" again. Rolling Eyes
ti83head wrote:
Thats also an impressive rise in traffic towards the end of this year. I feel the new TI-84 will further boost interest calculator programming / re-purposing. The existing TI-83/84 family is looking dated and holds little attraction compared to the current crop of smart phones and tablet devices. In general though, I feel it is cool to be a "geek" again. Rolling Eyes
I don't think it ever stopped being cool to be a "geek", but I agree that this will make it hip to be a calculator geek again (actually, I think the Prizm did that too). Yup, that spike is thanks to:
gasp; this is quite an interesting thing. what do you mean, moved cemetech to a new server? like, just dropped the entire contents of the previous one onto a bigger one?
LuxenD wrote:
gasp; this is quite an interesting thing. what do you mean, moved cemetech to a new server? like, just dropped the entire contents of the previous one onto a bigger one?

Yes. More or less.
i cant figure out how that would make some of the bugs ive been seeing.
LuxenD wrote:

Different servers have different sets of configuration files. The new one has to be "tuned" to match the old one. Also, it takes DNS records a while to propagate after they've been updated, so some people were stuck on the old website yesterday.
LuxenD wrote:
Permissions are a bit different; it's not like we could exactly duplicate the old server's state. What bugs?
one of the forums contains a list of bugs, which were fixed. Kerm, you worked on them, suprised you dont understand what i meant by that. the only bug i had (*Past tense!) seen was that one with the avatar upload.
elfprince13 wrote:
LuxenD wrote:

Different servers have different sets of configuration files. The new one has to be "tuned" to match the old one. Also, it takes DNS records a while to propagate after they've been updated, so some people were stuck on the old website yesterday.
Mad Confused I was one of them today I googled it and poof! Then I posted this I which ill mention... The site is now on the new server right? I hope so... Kerm please explane why after the huge spikes it drops way back down, did they just come to look?
diggeryj wrote:
Mad Confused I was one of them today I googled it and poof! Then I posted this I which ill mention... The site is now on the new server right? I hope so... Kerm please explane why after the huge spikes it drops way back down, did they just come to look?

Yup. It's from websites that linked to us. We had a lot of visitors from those two links but very few of them were return visitors after the story passed.

And yes, we are on the new server.
THANK YOU... I spent 2 hours trying to get it to work, then I gave up went to bed and found out I missed out on all the fun. :/ Any how the graph represents what exactly? Is it visits or what, could someone clear this up? Not to mention does it include Bots if so is it a real representation of real humans looking at this site?
diggeryj wrote:
THANK YOU... I spent 2 hours trying to get it to work, then I gave up went to bed and found out I missed out on all the fun. :/ Any how the graph represents what exactly? Is it visits or what, could someone clear this up? Not to mention does it include Bots if so is it a real representation of real humans looking at this site?
It's a representation of unique visits to the site by non-bots. It's averaged by month, and it represents that we're reaching an increasingly broad demographic.
May I ask what web server software you are using, still good old Apache or what?
gbl08ma wrote:
May I ask what web server software you are using, still good old Apache or what?
mc.cemetech.net wrote:
Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server
MY esteemed colleague has it right; we are running an Apache server here, as we were on our shared hosting.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours