I am making a sniper game in LuaZM that is loosely based on this flash game... but like I said... loosely. I am going to add my own tweaks and special features, and I hope it will be close enough to the real thing to be allowed in this contest.

EDIT: Can the luaZM interpretor run lua compiled code?

EDIT2: I guess I should elaborate a bit.

Game Description:
2D sniping game where you have to take out enemies before they shoot you.

Setting:
High-tech battlefield scenario

Color scheme:
Neon Blue and black

Here is what I have implemented already:
- Muzzle movement from muscle fatigue (like in real life)
- 2 sights: no-zoom flip-up iron sights and a low-zoom reflex sight
- multiple levels
- moving targets
- cut scenes

What I plan to implement:
- enemy snipers
- hostages (implemented: 11/14/12)
- vehicles
- buildings

What I may or may not implement:
- multiple weapons
- air strikes, artillery

EDIT3:

Download
Quote:
EDIT: Can the luaZM interpretor run lua compiled code?
Yes, it can.

Good luck with this project; this sounds like a fun game. I look forward to also tweaking a few LuaZM features based on your experiences making a big game with it.
Oh, good. (for everything you said in the post)

And about LuaZM features... it would REALLY be nice to have a drawCircleFill() function (i need it for a scope but am making do with drawCircle)
flyingfisch wrote:
Oh, good. (for everything you said in the post)

And about LuaZM features... it would REALLY be nice to have a drawCircleFill() function (i need it for a scope but am making do with drawCircle)
Yup, I'll be adding that along with the long-suffering file/ I/O library.
KermMartian wrote:
flyingfisch wrote:
Oh, good. (for everything you said in the post)

And about LuaZM features... it would REALLY be nice to have a drawCircleFill() function (i need it for a scope but am making do with drawCircle)
Yup, I'll be adding that along with the long-suffering file/ I/O library.


Oh, yes... if you could get the new version out before the end of the contest I could do level saving...
Question: do i have to get permmision from the original author of the flash game or is it modified enough to where i don't need to?
Kerm: Is there a way (and if not, could you make a way) to print to console without causing it to be displayed until the program returns to the console window??
flyingfisch wrote:
Question: do i have to get permmision from the original author of the flash game or is it modified enough to where i don't need to?

bumping for an answer to this question. Smile
i b eleive Kerm said that asking would be noticed in the contest, but it really depends. i would do so, anyway.

you have a ton of bumps.
LuxenD wrote:
i b eleive Kerm said that asking would be noticed in the contest, but it really depends. i would do so, anyway.

OK... the only reason I asked is that the game I am making actually resembles a lot of games, and to get permission from all of them may be difficult

Quote:

you have a ton of bumps.


Oh, sorry, it just seemed like in these contest threads people were allowed double-post. Sorry. :-\
hey, i wouldnt know -- it doesnt look like anyone else has noticed, so...

if it resembles a ton of games, then see who made the first like it. or, pick and choose your favorite maker.
LuxenD wrote:
hey, i wouldnt know --
[...]


Yeah, I was actually hoping one of the contest coordinators would aswer that. Wink
Does anyone know how to take screenshots of LuaZM progs? I tried using screenreceiver but it wont work when not in console window or the file manager.
LuaZM feature request: command to send and receive through the 3-pin port.
Ok, so how does this work. I am about ready to have a beta version done. should i PM it to someone, or should i release it, or what?
(1) Do not release it. When you are ready to submit your entry, let myself or Rivereye know, and we will gie you an email address to send it to. It should be a zip and include a readme with instructions on how to use it.
(2) Serial commands: That is part of the I/O library.
(3) Screenshots: The screen receiver is buggy. I have no better solution than a camera at this point.
(4) Permission is always better than no permission. We will take into account any attempts that you made to contact the original author and how different your version is. Remember that you are responsible for any disputes about the legality of your game.
KermMartian wrote:
(1) Do not release it. When you are ready to submit your entry, let myself or Rivereye know, and we will gie you an email address to send it to. It should be a zip and include a readme with instructions on how to use it.

When does the contest end?
Quote:

(2) Serial commands: That is part of the I/O library.
(3) Screenshots: The screen receiver is buggy. I have no better solution than a camera at this point.

ok, ok. Smile
Quote:

(4) Permission is always better than no permission. We will take into account any attempts that you made to contact the original author and how different your version is. Remember that you are responsible for any disputes about the legality of your game.


I don't think I have any legality issues. I did try to contact them but have not received a reply. The do not have contact info on their site so i tried whois.net and so I don't know if they'll reply or not.

EDIT: also, cant get luazm to run compiled lua code... could you give me step-by-step instructions so i can see if i am doing something wrong?

EDIT2:
this is how i compiled it:


Code:

luac -s -o output.lua sniper.lua


and then i put it on my calc and got this error:

Code:

cannot reopen lua\output.lua: Unknown error code.
stack traceback:
...
What's happening is that LuaZM is recognizing that the file is a compiled program, closing it, and trying to re-open it in binary mode. Unfortunately, the fopen("...","rb") call is failing. Just for giggles, what happens if you put output.lua in the root directory. Does that change anything? Also, how big is the file?
KermMartian wrote:
What's happening is that LuaZM is recognizing that the file is a compiled program, closing it, and trying to re-open it in binary mode. Unfortunately, the fopen("...","rb") call is failing. Just for giggles, what happens if you put output.lua in the root directory. Does that change anything? Also, how big is the file?


The file is 21.1kb

If I put it in the root directory I get the same error.
If I enter the program now, can I enter updates afterwards?
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement