I am having trouble [edited] activating Windows XP. All I want to know is, did Microsoft make it so that no new installs of XP can be activated to try to force their current OS's on people?
I installed windows xp on a virtual machine but I had to None of that here please, thank you very much ~elfprince. Installation from CD worked fine, but after that, the online activation needed a new code.
To be clear: discussion of piracy or other violation of copyright law is not allowed by the Cemetech TOS. Feel free to carry on the conversation as long as your eschew those topics.
elfprince13 wrote:
To be clear: discussion of piracy or other violation of copyright law is not allowed by the Cemetech TOS. Feel free to carry on the conversation as long as your eschew those topics.
This. We support legal, ethical usage of software. How would you like it if you worked hard to write software and people stole it?
Oh, sorry, i thought that if you owned a valid copy of windows, then you have a right to make it work... (for example, if you lost the code)
Nazis.
Huh. Well, my Windows XP is genuine. What I want to know is, did Microsoft make it so that no new installs of XP can be activated to try to force their current OS's on people?
CalebHansberry wrote:
Huh. Well, my Windows XP is genuine. What I want to know is, did Microsoft make it so that no new installs of XP can be activated to try to force their current OS's on people?

I doubt it. Use the phone activation system.
elfprince13 wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:

I doubt it. Use the phone activation system.

Good luck getting a 64 digit number read by some techie in india entered correctly :P
seana11 wrote:
Good luck getting a 64 digit number read by some techie in india entered correctly Razz
You've clearly never been through that process. It's all automated (and there's some clever stuff in there that tries to determine if you sound angry and responds accordingly).
I find it hard to believe they'd automate the process of getting a your activation code over the phone though I suppose it's plausible.

seana11 wrote:
Good luck getting a 64 digit number read by some techie in india entered correctly Razz

You can always ask to speak to a representative in the US, whether or not they'll oblige - or be able to - is another issue as not every company will have call centers in the states.
Never mind everybody, it activated now. Must of had a sketchy internet connection. At least we are left now with an example of Cemetech's views on piracy! Razz Thanks anyway, Cemetechians.
I just loaded up a windows XP machine just a month ago, and it was able to connect just fine and activate. Can you connect to the internet? That may be the problem, if yoru drivers are not installed. Just an idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours