My brother and I have just gotten a nice TI-99/4A, which we are pretty happy about. Now the question is what do we do with it?
How do we:
1)Get a printer going with it
2)Hook a FDD up to it without a PEB
3)Do something with cassettes
4)Know if an Atari controller works with it
5)Do anything else cool with it?
hey I'd recommend you look at this site http://www.videogamehouse.net/

that's a llist of carts and accessories, plus as long as it's a DB-9 connector Atari and Sega controllers will work!
Ah, yes, I've been there. Good place for video game related stuff - but any answers to the other questions? Perhaps nobody here has a TI-99/4A?
I don't have one (and I don't personally know anyone who does), but Wikipedia says this about the joystick port:
Quote:
The two joysticks were connected through a single nine pin port, which therefore supported only TI joysticks directly. Aftermarket adapters were available which allowed the use of two Atari-compatible joysticks.

And for serial and parallel ports you will need an RS-232 interface peripheral (PHP1700). (see http://oldcomputers.net/ti994.html)
Awesome find Caleb,I'll admit that I've never heard of it but I reckon that you should try and program it (according to what I have found out from Wikipedia, it has a dialect of BASIC). Just out of curiosity, where did you get it from? I've been trying to track down a cheap ZX Spectrum (a really cool British 80's home computer).
I've had a TI-99/4A in my younger years but I've never been fortunate enough to have any real accessories to it (not even the tape recorder cable). I do remember some things about the built in TI BASIC language, if anyone has questions on that.
christop wrote:
I don't have one (and I don't personally know anyone who does), but Wikipedia says this about the joystick port:
Quote:
The two joysticks were connected through a single nine pin port, which therefore supported only TI joysticks directly. Aftermarket adapters were available which allowed the use of two Atari-compatible joysticks.

And for serial and parallel ports you will need an RS-232 interface peripheral (PHP1700). (see http://oldcomputers.net/ti994.html)

Well, that link is for the TI-99/4 - mine is the TI-99/4A. There is some difference. Also, I wonder what I could do with a serial port on a TI-99/4A...

ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Awesome find Caleb,I'll admit that I've never heard of it but I reckon that you should try and program it (according to what I have found out from Wikipedia, it has a dialect of BASIC). Just out of curiosity, where did you get it from? I've been trying to track down a cheap ZX Spectrum (a really cool British 80's home computer).

Ah, I just bought it on eBay for $16 $20 shipping. There are a lot of them on eBay. There are a lot of Sinclair ZX Spectrums too, though I don't know what model you want or how much you are willing to pay.

Not too many people have heard of the TI-99/4A, but it is a pretty cool computer as they go.
Quote:

Ah, I just bought it on eBay for $16 $20 shipping. There are a lot of them on eBay. There are a lot of Sinclair ZX Spectrums too, though I don't know what model you want or how much you are willing to pay.

Not too many people have heard of the TI-99/4A, but it is a pretty cool computer as they go.

Probably the 48k, it's the design and the squashy keys that I like about it! Have you heard of the BBC Micro? It was the Speccy's main competitor.
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Probably the 48k, it's the design and the squashy keys that I like about it! Have you heard of the BBC Micro? It was the Speccy's main competitor.

You might consider joining this Auction.
Or this one.

Nope, never heard of the BBC Micro.

Those screenshots of the ZX Spectrum look more powerful than the TI-99/4A!
For those interested in the ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro (and 1980s home computing in general) I strongly recommend the excellent TV movie Micro Men. It has yet to be released on DVD, sadly.

benryves wrote:
For those interested in the ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro (and 1980s home computing in general) I strongly recommend the excellent TV movie Micro Men. It has yet to be released on DVD, sadly.

Yes I have watched this before, I enjoyed it very much. It does however, seem to make Clive Sinclair look very evil! I don't know if he was really like this in real life.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours