KermMartian wrote:
Great. Then unless someone brings up serious objections in the next day or two, I will announce the contest in a few days:

Topic: Entrants have two options: (1) extensively modify an existing, released game/program (with the author's permission) to add novel features (points for creativity and originality) or (2) porting a non-calculator game and giving it a new spin (no direct ports allowed).
Categories: (1) z80 calculators (ASM, Axe, and BASIC judged and weighted together), (2) Casio calculators (fx9860g and Prizm, although we'd probably only get Prizm entries), and (3) computers.
Deadline: January 21, 2013
Constraints: Everyone needs a topic in the Contest subforum here, like last time. No private help from others.
Questions/requests:
  • Can you make this info available in the first post until a news article is posted?
  • Would projects that have started a while ago but have been in private dev be acceptable for submission? (Trying to find motivation for myself :/ )
  • No direct clone as-in making a game with a similar theme as an existing game, but not sharing actual plot or game flow?
Quote:
No direct clone as-in making a game with a similar theme as an existing game, but not sharing actual plot or game flow?

Yes, as I understand it. Or, for example, differing in particulars of the ruleset. For example, the differences between BattleField 83+ and classic Stratego.
Would my mortal Kombat clone count as an entry? they have...SPINNY HANDS! or perhaps a craaaazy version of pong with different goals I.E. Avoid the ball, get it to a certain point in the map...Free movement
What about porting a calculator game to computers (option 2)?
AHelper wrote:
Can you make this info available in the first post until a news article is posted?
It will be a news article in a day or two.
Quote:
Would projects that have started a while ago but have been in private dev be acceptable for submission?
Yes, that's fine.
Quote:
No direct clone as-in making a game with a similar theme as an existing game, but not sharing actual plot or game flow?
Correct, as Elfprince confirmed.

Juju: Sure, but it should still have a fundamental twist, not be a direct port.
Is it pure BASIC, or is Hybrid BASIC allowed? Alternatively, what about Grammer as a potential language? (Yeong mentioned it in his project topic)
Can we get an existing calculator game and port it to another calculator(with a new spin on it, of course)? What exactly is porting? Is it using the original code, or writing new code with same game mechanics?
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Can we get an existing calculator game and port it to another calculator(with a new spin on it, of course)? What exactly is porting? Is it using the original code, or writing new code with same game mechanics?
It's writing new code with the tweaked game mechanics. Neither direct code ports nor direct functionality ports are acceptable.

Xeda wrote:
Is it pure BASIC, or is Hybrid BASIC allowed? Alternatively, what about Grammer as a potential language? (Yeong mentioned it in his project topic)
All languages are allowed, but will be judged with weighting to level the playing field.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!
Xeda112358 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification!
No problem. Will you be entering a Hybrid BASIC or Grammer entry to the contest?
KermMartian wrote:
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Can we get an existing calculator game and port it to another calculator(with a new spin on it, of course)? What exactly is porting? Is it using the original code, or writing new code with same game mechanics?
It's writing new code with the tweaked game mechanics. Neither direct code ports nor direct functionality ports are acceptable.

Xeda wrote:
Is it pure BASIC, or is Hybrid BASIC allowed? Alternatively, what about Grammer as a potential language? (Yeong mentioned it in his project topic)
All languages are allowed, but will be judged with weighting to level the playing field.


Do I have to ask permission from the original coder to port an existing calculator game to another calc?
It's considered good manners, yes. We will include whether you made a good faith effort to contact the original author and get permission in your score.
KermMartian wrote:
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Can we get an existing calculator game and port it to another calculator(with a new spin on it, of course)? What exactly is porting? Is it using the original code, or writing new code with same game mechanics?
It's writing new code with the tweaked game mechanics. Neither direct code ports nor direct functionality ports are acceptable.


So its not really porting... its making games based on existing ones. Correct?
Yes, that's correct. There's also an option where you take an existing calculator program, including its current source, and massively overhaul it. Again, points will be given for the effort and creativity that you put into your entry.
I was considering a CN2.2 port for ZTetris, but there was a rather stern note against modification in the sourcecode. Oh well Sad
I think I might enter Smile with TI-BASIC of course. I have two different ideas:
One is the game called Sabacc (google it)
Or I might do minesweeper, with modification from original code. Who's, I haven't decided yet.
Sabacc would be great! I started on a Python implementation a while back and got pretty far before leaving the code to rot. Send me a PM if you want a copy of the rules.
Hmmm I'm thinking of doing a Mario Bros. port (not Super). Would that be acceptable?
Edit: It would be different of course with the basic gameplay
Enigma wrote:
Hmmm I'm thinking of doing a Mario Bros. port (not Super). Would that be acceptable?
Sure, as long as you find some sort of creative twist to put on it.
Ok I'll see up what I come with.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement