Many of our community members use IRC to communicate and talk about calcs. The SAX IRC client forwards messages to IRC from a browser. To take full advantage of the features of IRC (Such as other channels, and full control of your session), you must join the cemetech IRC channel. (irc://irc.efnet.net/#cemetech for those who know what they are doing).

To start out with IRC, you'll need an irc client. I use KVIrc, but you can use whatever client floats your boat; the procedure is roughly the same. Try several out to find one you like.

• Linux

• HexChat - A nice IRC client for beginners
    • Pidgin - Yet another client that supports many networks
    • KVIrc - A good client that is very configurable
    • Konversation - KDE's IRC client
    • Quassel - Similar to KVIrc, but more beginner friendly
    • irssi - A command line client

• Windows

• mIRC - One of the more popular clients, however, you must pay for it
    • Trillian - Yet another client that supports many networks
    • Miranda IM - Yet another client that supports many networks
    • Pidgin - Yet another client that supports many networks
    • KVIrc - A good client that is very configurable

• OS X

• Colloquy - A nice client for beginners
    • Snak - A good client for beginners
    • Adium - This is the OS X version of Pidgin
    • Linkinus - An advanced client that costs money

1. Open your IRC client; you should see something like this:

2. Type in "/server irc.efnet.org" and press enter. This will connect you to the irc server.

3. Some text will show up, and after a few seconds, more will pop up. At this point,it should look something like this:

4. Next, type "/join #cemetech" and press enter. This will join the channel (a place where people can talk to each other) that cemetech has.

5. After that, a your irc client should automatically switch to the channel. If it doesn't, just click on the new tab. Congratulations! You are now ready to talk about anything on your calc-centric mind.

Etiquette

For a smooth voyage, please follow all of the following guidelines:

• Listen to Ops. Ops are the people with an '@' next to their name. They can kick and ban you from the channel, so don't upset them.
  • We are not here 24/7. Many people idle on irc, even when they are afk. When you ask a question remember to hang around so we can talk to you.
  • IRC is not AIM. Please keep emoticons and textspeak to a minimum.
  • Don't Spam. Spamming is disruptive and annoying and will not get you noticed (and may even get you kicked/banned).
  • Don't Troll. Trolling will *not* be tolerated, and could result in a kick or ban.
  • Be Courteous. Being nice to others will go a long way in getting help.
  • Respect Channel Rules. Remember that some channels have different guidelines about what you can and cannot do.

That's about it; enjoy your stay!
Good tutorial, though instead of XChat, I'd suggest HexChat. It's actively updated and free for all systems. It's based on the XChat source.
Wonderful tutorial; importantly, it's explained in the most application independent way. I hope to see more of our SAX dwelling users on IRC!

If I may suggest an IRC Application for OS X, I'd like to see Linkinus on that list. It's not actively updated anymore, sadly, but it's a wonderful client. Stays open as a background process even when the application is closed, themes based on HTML so it's easy to skin and so many advanced features, such as the ability to view multiple channels, queries or a combination thereof) in one window. It's expensive for a client but I haven't regretted it for over a year.
I'm pretty sure Adium, the OS X equivalent of Pidgin, also supports IRC. Not the best client, but neither is Pidgin. They have the same backend though (libpurple), so you might as well include it on the list.

Also, irssi for command line users.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Adium, the OS X equivalent of Pidgin, also supports IRC. Not the best client, but neither is Pidgin. They have the same backend though (libpurple), so you might as well include it on the list.

Also, irssi for command line users.

I'll make sure to add those to the lists. Does irssi work on OS X?
Probably, though you might have to install it from macports.
It works on lots of systems. Check out the download page that you could've found with google: http://www.irssi.org/download
I give a hearty thumbs-up to Trillian, irssi, and XChat 2. Very nice guide indeed, and thanks for updating the screenshots for #cemetech. I hope to point many a new user to this tutorial.
KermMartian wrote:
I give a hearty thumbs-up to Trillian, irssi, and XChat 2. Very nice guide indeed, and thanks for updating the screenshots for #cemetech. I hope to point many a new user to this tutorial.

Thanks! This has actually been sitting on UCF gathering dust. It never really occored to me to crosspost...
As a correction, Pidgin under OS X should be Adium. Also, I laughed at the description for Linkinus, though true. Laughing
Nice guide, you should maybe also mention about swearing not being allowed in #cemetech and that certain rules might be different in other channels (eg in #omnimaga you can swear, as long as your sentences don't look like this.)
You could also mention omnimaga sucks.
comicIDIOT wrote:
As a correction, Pidgin under OS X should be Adium. Also, I laughed at the description for Linkinus, though true. :0x5:

That was already implemented :P @Linkinus, I'm aiming for a <7 word blurb here, and I can't be too biased...

Added the following:

Quote:
  • Respect Channel Rules. Remember that some channels have different guidelines about what you can and cannot do.
seana11 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
As a correction, Pidgin under OS X should be Adium. Also, I laughed at the description for Linkinus, though true. 0x5

That was already implemented Razz

Still says Pidgin to me?
Hmmm, for those with chromeOS, and/or people who use chrome, CIRC is pretty good as well, currently the client of choice for me on windows.
LimeChat is my favorite IRC client for Mac

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours