For a bit of fun I've decided to bring the Sega Master System BIOS game "Snail Maze" to the TI-84+CE, mainly as a reason to do a simple 84+CE game, but also because I love maze games Razz It's a very basic game, simply 12 timed levels to find your way through (there are many videos of it on YouTube), but nevertheless I played it a decent amount as a kid and it will be fun to clone.

Tonight I've just spent a bit of time starting an editor program (a Windows C# app).

Once I've got a level built and saved in the format I'm working towards, I'll get some calc coding done.

Depending on how much free time I can find over Xmas / New Year, I hope to push this through fairly quickly Smile
This reminds me of this game where there is a grid of dots, and you and an opponent take turns drawing lines, trying to complete squares.
Sounds like a fun port. Good lucK!
Caleb_Hill wrote:
This reminds me of this game where there is a grid of dots, and you and an opponent take turns drawing lines, trying to complete squares.
Sounds like a fun port. Good lucK!
Hah yes I vaguely remember that game, I have no idea what it's called though.

I finished the editor last night, but I discovered that it was quite tedious manually putting the maze together, especially when I already had images of the original maps in perfect scale. So I added an "Import" function to the editor to take a PNG file (that must have the correct dimensions) and convert it straight into compatible maze data. There are only 4 tile types, so 4 tiles are stored per byte in the maze data. Thus, the 30x16 maze only uses 120 bytes.

Original source image:

Tonight I did my first "Hello World!" program on the TI-84+CE (because I'd barely touched the thing since buying it) and then with the help of WikiTI I went ahead and got the basics of level drawing done on calc. So now I have this on calc, which isn't much, but it's my first step into the TI-84+CE Smile
Looks great, James!
This looks both fun to play and fun to program. Since you made a level editor, I assume the mazes are pre-made to a certain difficulty. Would you consider adding an automatic maze generator to the program at some point, especially one that might be tuneable to different difficulty levels?
KermMartian wrote:
This looks both fun to play and fun to program. Since you made a level editor, I assume the mazes are pre-made to a certain difficulty. Would you consider adding an automatic maze generator to the program at some point, especially one that might be tuneable to different difficulty levels?
Correct, the mazes are all pre-built (taken from the original Sega Master System game). I think the initial release will be staying fairly true to the SMS version, however I have considered later working on an update where you can play the "classic" game, or play custom maze sets that are user created using the level editor. An automatic maze generator is a good idea too, so I'll add this to the "future ideas" list, thanks! Smile

This morning before work I did a bit more coding and increased the tile size from 8x8 to 10x10, just to make better use of the available LCD space, as well as adding in the right & bottom borders which hadn't been implemented on the last screenshot. Next up, I'll add in the player (a snail!) & movement.

You can watch a play through of the original Sega version here, although don't watch it too much if you don't want to know the solution to all the levels Razz

This game is now complete and available in the archives! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours