I GOT THE BOOK!!!! JUJU TOO!!! It looks very awesome and I'm glad I got a copy. Very Happy

Just a warning to those who will open the packaging from Manning, though: Be careful when tearing the envelope apart, because you might have some cleaning up to do afterward due to the stuff they put inside the envelope paper to protect packages Razz
Hurray, I'm very happy that both of you got a copy! And I'd be happy to field any feedback that you have, positive or negative. Good tip about the packaging, btw.
I didn't have time to read all the book, but I skimmed through it a first time then read the hybrid section. It was pretty nice so far.

By the way, when I started Axe programming, I did not like starring at the computer screen to look at the commands, so I decided to print the commands index. I find it much easier to read that way. In TI-BASIC I used the guidebook that came with my calc and I believe I printed a copy of xLIB readme once. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone who find it more comfortable to read from a paper medium than a computer screen one. I hope that younger programmers get access to the book and that their parents cooperate because it's a very detailed resource for TI-BASIC programming . Smile

Also I noticed that you included PO:RN in the hybrid BASIC section of the book. Thanks. Very Happy
Yup, I asked you for permission for that, remember? Smile I'm glad to hear that you find a paper programming manual that you can hold in your hands and leaf through valuable, and I hope that many readers will share that experience.
Got some pictures from the Burlington B&N to share Smile I think Courtney texted you about them already Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Got some pictures from the Burlington B&N to share Smile I think Courtney texted you about them already Smile
She did indeed; she said that you guys saw my book on the shelf! I hope you put it front and center. Wink

Sadly it wasn't a good shelf for leaving things in a prominent display Sad
Darn that store looks more like a library than an actual book store Shock

Nice to see the book in such store, though. I wonder if it would fit better in the computer section than math, though? It's a calculator, but the book is mostly oriented towards programming in general rather than mainly math-related stuff.
DJ_O wrote:
Darn that store looks more like a library than an actual book store Shock

Smaller or larger than you were expecting?

DJ_O wrote:
Nice to see the book in such store, though. I wonder if it would fit better in the computer section than math, though? It's a calculator, but the book is mostly oriented towards programming in general rather than mainly math-related stuff.

Pretty much the same section Smile
I stopped by one of the Barnes and Noble stores near me that supposedly has it in stock, but I didn't see the book in the Programming section. I assume it was in the Math section, which I didn't see.
Just got an email from Manning offering me 50% on my next purchase from them as a "Thank You" for buying your book! Smile
I flipped through the z80 section a little more today. Everything was explained nicely and once I finish reading Genome I should be able start reading it entirely. I liked what I did manage to read, it was very informative and easy to understand.
qazz42 wrote:
I flipped through the z80 section a little more today. Everything was explained nicely and once I finish reading Genome I should be able start reading it entirely. I liked what I did manage to read, it was very informative and easy to understand.
That's great to hear! The z80 chapter is more of an introduction than an exhaustive tutorial, but I hope it's complete enough and flows enough that people will be excited about continuing to pursue z80 ASM after reading it.
I just got my copy, and I must say, stupendous.
One thing though, when I opened it, I found a horribly glued/folded/cut paper about a free ebook. I cut it out, here's a pic:
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/Picture%20022.jpg
(the left side is the part I cut from the book)
And I tried peeling off the glue, but some of it I couldn't without damaging the first page.
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/Picture%20023.jpg
But nonetheless I am extremely exited to read the finished version! Very Happy

EDIT: put pictures in links because they are massive Smile
Unfortunately that's just one of the things Manning does--it's like that in a lot (all?) of their books.
merthsoft wrote:
Unfortunately that's just one of the things Manning does--it's like that in a lot (all?) of their books.
Yeah, I don't love that decision either. :/ But ah well. Parserp, glad to hear you got yours and that you're enjoying it!
Well, up to page 200 now, and I must say, everything I imagined.
One small error on page 206 tho, in the code in 9.1.1, there is this:
Quote:

:"3^2+sin(X"->Str4 <-------------- it also works if you include the closing quote

but it probably should be "...if you exclude the closing quote". btw, are you planning on going over your work again and publishing a 2nd edition? (Like in school textbooks)?
I think I was actually thinking "include the closing parenthesis", but your correction makes sense too. I am indeed collecting the errors people are reporting, but I'll only make a second edition if the number of changes I collect are enough to warrant Manning's effort in re-typesetting the parts that need to be typeset.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so much!
As requested by Kerm, I have published a review of this book on my UK Amazon account.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1617290777/ref=cm_cr_thx_view
It will be available to read 48 hours after this post.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours