It would presumably adhere more closely to Modern UI (big clear touch-friendly buttons rather than a realistic depiction of the calculator) so would be good to use on touch screens and could also be docked to the side of the screen for easy access when working in another application. Integrate it with SkyDrive so you can carry around your virtual calculator collection between different machines and you'd have a very handy piece of software.
benryves wrote:
It would presumably adhere more closely to Modern UI (big clear touch-friendly buttons rather than a realistic depiction of the calculator) so would be good to use on touch screens and could also be docked to the side of the screen for easy access when working in another application. Integrate it with SkyDrive so you can carry around your virtual calculator collection between different machines and you'd have a very handy piece of software.

Not to mention that it would be very nice to hook XInput to the keys so that you can play your favorite calc games using your convenient controller instead of an inconvenient keyboard mapping.
Any web page ported to a primary environment like Windows Phone you get access to the API's which also opens up more freedom on the device. And of course, even more freedom if you don't use HTML and JS and instead use C/++/# etc.

On iOS you can drag and drop files to store within the apps data. Such as PDFs for a PDF reader or ROMs for a game emulator, or in this case, a calculator emulator. I can't vouch for other platforms but its incredibly handy on iOS.
comicIDIOT wrote:
On iOS you can drag and drop files to store within the apps data. Such as PDFs for a PDF reader or ROMs for a game emulator, or in this case, a calculator emulator.

[citation needed]

EDIT: Regardless, even if you could easily import ROMs into an application, that doesn't really change much for jsTified because Apple won't let you release emulators on the app store.
One problem with the Dropbox API is that I have no way to access it without going through the server (see also: cross-domain policy in Javascript). Therefore steganography may be my only option. Can you please tell me more about what happens with JPEGs, especially 100% quality ones?
Runer112 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
On iOS you can drag and drop files to store within the apps data. Such as PDFs for a PDF reader or ROMs for a game emulator, or in this case, a calculator emulator.

[citation needed]

I thought that it was in enough high profile - and tons of low profile - apps for people to know you can use your iOS Device as a USB storage device so-long as you have iTunes.

As for the Emulators in iOS, there's one named Gridlee! Grab it while it's there and free. There was also iMAME over a year ago, but it was of course promptly taken down; I managed to snag it before it was though! Evil or Very Mad It of course comes down to how Apple would view this emulator. Perhaps equally with the game emulators or maybe give it some credence such as what Apple has done with Gridlee at the moment.
If it's a web-app Apple can't do anything at all (and won't try to). They don't control Safari and actively encourage anyone whose vision for an app doesn't meet their standards to write it with HTML5 and Javascript.

Is there any way you can abuse iframes for your cross domain requests?
Based on the reviews not-so-subtle hints of the emulator inside, I'm surprised that Apple hasn't already removed that particular app. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they wouldn't look kindly on a graphing calculator emulator app, and I prefer the control I retain by going the webapp route.

Edit: iFrames: Maybe? I could certainly create an iFrame and then fetch its innerHTML, but don't browsers like to pop up Save As... windows for non-HTML/image things?
I wouldn't think that iOS's Safari would ask you to save things it didn't recognize. And you could provide users with a tool to encode it in an ASCII-friendly format before they put it on their dropbox, so that it would be sent to your browser as text.
elfprince13 wrote:
I wouldn't think that iOS's Safari would ask you to save things it didn't recognize. And you could provide users with a tool to encode it in an ASCII-friendly format before they put it on their dropbox, so that it would be sent to your browser as text.
Or even as the aforementioned JPEG with embedded data, which would be particularly easy to load separately without even an iFrame.
KermMartian wrote:
Based on the reviews not-so-subtle hints of the emulator inside, I'm surprised that Apple hasn't already removed that particular app.

I think it's because the developer is either the original developer of the ROM himself or has explicit permission. If you sought counsel from Apple on the matter you might get a clearer picture. But it seems you wish to keep jsTIfied on the web for better version control/security which I totally understand. Perhaps if you want to pursue an app at some point, start talking on developer forums and see how Apple handles Apps that point to web pages rather than to locally executed code. That way one could store the ROM(s) on-device yet use jsTIfied directly on Cemetech.

Also, it might have to do with:

Quote:
Thanks to the kind generosity of the three co-founders of Videa—Howard Delman, Ed Rotberg, and Roger Hector—the original ROM images from the only existing Gridlee machine have been made available for free, non-commercial use.
A thread on Flickr confirms that iOS strips EXIF data; steganography looks like our best option:
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632100391901/
Did you come up with a reason why the iframes wouldn't work? What steganographic technique is being considered?
I was looking through the forum posts and was wondering if there was an update to the topic of using the emulator with an iPad. I love your product, but only have the ability to use the iPad In my classroom and this program would help immensely. Thanks!
http://www.cemetech.net/news.php?year=2013&month=2&id=563
Adelk wrote:
I was looking through the forum posts and was wondering if there was an update to the topic of using the emulator with an iPad. I love your product, but only have the ability to use the iPad In my classroom and this program would help immensely. Thanks!
As Elfprince13 pointed out above with the requisite news item, the iPad support should be fully-functional. Smile Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours