Some of you might have read about this already, but for those of you that haven't, the supreme court will hear a case Monday that will decide if people have the right to resell products they've purchased, including computers, iPods, and other electronics.

http://www.youvebeenowned.org/#alarm

This site, in addition to providing additional links for your reading pleasure, details a campaign to raise awareness of this issue by placing either a banner or a ball-and-chain on other websites, similar to the self-censorship campaign over SOPA. I was wondering if Cemetech would participate, given her previous involvement in the SOPA protests.
Given that our members (mostly Kerm) do buy used calculators quite often, as well as other used items, it would make sense to but this isn't as hyped up as SOPA. Not that it shouldn't stop people and websites from supporting the bills denial, but the information regarding the bill isn't that publicized.

I'm just now hearing about this. I wonder how many of our other members are unaware of this bill as well.

DShiznit wrote:
I was wondering if Cemetech would participate, given her previous involvement in the SOPA protests.

Cemetech is not an object, we are a community.
Well, it might be like a ship or vessel, in which case it would be a she. Smile Perhaps DShiznit is looking forward to the real Cemetech Space Program. I fear that this might lead to a slippery slope of changing the banner for every cause, so I'm going to pass this time, but I hope this topic helps raise awareness!
Short Summary for those too lazy to click through two links:

The first sale policy grants copyright holders control of only the first sale of a copyrighted product. This is uncontested in the US, but copyright holders wish to deny it overseas. This is because they often sell cheaper versions of products overseas, and they lose profit when people resell them in the US. If the decision is ruled in their favor, you would lose many rights, such as:
  • Reselling a legally purchased 1st gen ipod on craigslist
  • Selling an older watch to get money for a more expensive one
  • Bought a copy of you favorite band/author's cd/book via ebay if it was only released abroad
  • Selling a house with that beautiful chandelier made in China, or those support beams produced in Canada.

This undermines many of our fundamental rights as established by John Locke, will shift manufacturing of many items overseas so that almost nothing is manufactured in the US, and will prevent the obtainment of many useful items.
And it's not like we're manufacturing a whole lot in the US these days anyway. Intellectual property is a very dicey issue, especially when I can see both sides of the coin. :/
KermMartian wrote:
And it's not like we're manufacturing a whole lot in the US these days anyway.

It's a big topic on the election, though. Imagine if GM moved all its factories overseas.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, it might be like a ship or vessel, in which case it would be a she. Smile

This exactly. The Enterprise isn't just the bulkheads and systems, but her crew as well. Yet it is still often useful to refer to her as a single entity.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the only people who win if this case stands are pirates. Making sites like craigslist and eBay equal to the Pirate Bay and others only strengthens the perceived moral value of piracy. By saying "all of these are bad and must be illegal" you create an environment where people are forced to align themselves with pirates in order to protect their other rights.
KermMartian wrote:
And it's not like we're manufacturing a whole lot in the US these days anyway. Intellectual property is a very dicey issue, especially when I can see both sides of the coin. :/

Taking into consideration the White House. Supposed to be the absolute most american symbol ever. The gift shop inside? Yeah, that thing. Not one thing in there is American made. Most, if not all, comes from China. :/
The fact that this case is being considered at all makes really nervous. The Court should have said "First Sale doctrine" and tossed it out on its a.
I find it silly that they would even consider this. Either way, even if it was passed, I really do not think many people would pay attention to it. There would still be too much reselling between friends for the resell-police to even handle.
comicIDIOT wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
I was wondering if Cemetech would participate, given her previous involvement in the SOPA protests.

Cemetech is not an object, we are a community.
Women aren't objects! And for that matter, websites don't have genders, nor do communities, so let's not refer to Cemetech as a "she".

As for the topic on-hand, I'm with elfprince--it's very worrisome that it's gotten this far.
qazz42 wrote:
I find it silly that they would even consider this. Either way, even if it was passed, I really do not think many people would pay attention to it. There would still be too much reselling between friends for the resell-police to even handle.

The problem with an overregulated country is that it makes it easy for the police to arrest you any time they wish if they don't like you, for violating some law totally unrelated to why they don't like you.
I was pretty shocked when I read this. From the sound of it, it looks like this abomination of a law could actually pass, and that would pretty much drag the country to its knees, since the economy is largely made up of resale like this.

I'm one of those who believes in the end of the world. But I believe that the destruction of humanity will come not because a natural disaster wipes us out, but because the people of the earth will slowly, but surely, destroy themselves.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours