Kllrnohj wrote:
willrandship wrote:
Personally, if you're going for windows for the games, I'd recommend XP with Linux.

If your going to use Windows, especially for games, you should absolutely be using Windows 7.

XP is dead guys, and it sucked too.
God yes XP sucked, in many many ways.

I've used XFCE for years but there are still a few features it lacks that I end up using other tools for, but thankfully it is very modular and allows me to do that easily. I've never really been a fan of Gnome or KDE, though the bit I saw of E17 made it seem rather nice.

As for LXDE, openbox with a panel such as tint2 or even xfce4-panel works better imo and the LXDE tools seem rather haphazard and unpolished as others have said.

As for IDE's I personally prefer Geany+Terminal on Linux and I use VS or Notepad++ with GCC on windows depending on the project.
When I program on windows, it's on a computer that I usually can't save locally to. So, I set up a portable Dev-C++ installation on my flash drive, with MinGW. It's oh-so convenient. It even includes libs for OpenGL!
Kllrnohj wrote:
willrandship wrote:
Personally, if you're going for windows for the games, I'd recommend XP with Linux.

If your going to use Windows, especially for games, you should absolutely be using Windows 7.

I would love to run my games on Windows 7. Problem is, they don't work on it. Some, because they're 16-bit win95 programs(Arcade America or Star Trek: Hidden Evil for example), others because OpenGL doesn't like my video drivers(and there are no replacements for this OS, I checked). XP would be able to run these older games, and there are actually OEM drivers available for that OS so I shouldn't have the same issues.
DShiznit wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
willrandship wrote:

I would love to run my games on Windows 7. Problem is, they don't work on it. Some, because they're 16-bit win95 programs(Arcade America or Star Trek: Hidden Evil for example), others because OpenGL doesn't like my video drivers(and there are no replacements for this OS, I checked). XP would be able to run these older games, and there are actually OEM drivers available for that OS so I shouldn't have the same issues.

WINE, DOSBox++
flyingfisch wrote:
WINE, DOSBox++

ReactOS+QEMU
Meh, ReactOS is beta and buggy.
We already went over the problems with using WINE for older Windows programs, and DOSbox only works for DOS programs, not win 98/2000 ones(which are the ones I'm trying to play).

Before you suggest it, I've already tired a Windows XP virtual machine, it has numerous graphical problems with the games I try to run.

At this point I'm still thinking the best option is to put XP on the second partition. It's the oldest OS supported by the OEM and thus should work for those niche programs that are too advanced for DOS but are no longer supported by newer versions of Windows.
If only Microsoft released the old Windows versions as open source...Razz Like that will ever happen.
willrandship wrote:
If only Microsoft released the old Windows versions as open source...:P Like that will ever happen.

Don't you remember how they open sourced some drivers in the early 2000s? Obviously, they are just taking things at their own pace.
...The 95 OS architecture has been out of use for over a decade. From what I understand, NT was pretty much a complete kernel rewrite.
*** flyingfisch has the original Win3.1 floppies
flyingfisch wrote:

Dude, I need to get a set of those. I have a disc with After Dark Star Trek screensavers on it from like the early 90s. The modules will work with the WinXP+ compatible After Dark 3.0 player, but the installer requires windows 3.1 to function.
DShiznit wrote:
flyingfisch wrote:

Dude, I need to get a set of those. I have a disc with After Dark Star Trek screensavers on it from like the early 90s. The modules will work with the WinXP+ compatible After Dark 3.0 player, but the installer requires windows 3.1 to function.

Lol really?

I have it set up in virtualbox and the only thing i have used it for is Stunts (the driving game).

I can't get TCP/IP to work on it but if I ever do, it will be awesome.
willrandship wrote:
If only Microsoft released the old Windows versions as open source...Razz Like that will ever happen.

Open sourcing stuff is a *lot* of work, not to mention all the various legal issues that get involved if there is licensed stuff in there.

One of the very few companies that will go through the work necessary to open source old code is id. In fact, they are the only ones I can think of. From what I gather, that also only really happens because Carmack himself pushes for it and does some of the work required w.r.t. removing licensed stuff.
I've seen and used Windows 8 so far, and I have to say that while it isn't the huge "failure" that others seem to be making it out to be, it is a slight annoyance. I think I'm just going to stick with Win7 and my Fedora netbook until then
On top of this, Windows 8 is going to be great and I fully support Microsoft's method for getting Windows 8 put together!

Why? Because they pissed off Valve. That means Steam on Linux, which already has a beta and games on Steam already can run on Linux. So excellent work Microsoft, you gave Value the motivation they needed to add another platform!
That is definitely a positive spin. Razz
All joking aside, has anyone else noticed that the tablet interface used by Windows 8 looks /just like/ the LCARS interface used in Star Trek? That, for me, would make it worth having, at least if I had a touch-screen monitor to go with it.
DShiznit wrote:
I don't see why people will feel the need to change OS's at all if Win8 is the failure its expected to be. Why not just continue to use the OS they're already using, which works fine? A lot of my school's computers still use Windows XP. They've had no need to upgrade since XP does everything they need it to. Only the teacher machines and some of the High School's classroom stations use Windows 7, and only because they're relatively new purchases. I suspect those using Windows 7 will simply stick with it until MS either fixes win 8 or releases a better OS(similar to how a number of XP users stuck with that until win7 came out).

This discussion does have me considering installing a linux distro on my secondary partition instead of winXP. Are there any you guys would recommend for running older windows programs(like the numerous '00 Star Trek games and quake III clones I have trouble running right now)?

As a linux user myself, I can recommend a program called wine. It is a program that emulates emulates windows programs. If the idea of an emulator doesn't appeal, then you could try ReactOS, while not strictly linux, it has a similar architecture to windows NT and was written from scratch. It is also based on the design of windows 2000/xp. It seems to be capable of running things like halo and I did see the mention of quake III arena. I haven't tried it myself, but it may be a good bet for you.
"Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator")"

Wine isn't a replacement for actual windows. There are still many things that aren't added to Wine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours