Ive looked into it ever so minutely, and I think for $35 it's worth trying out, it seems so portable..what could I use this little comp for? I'm highly interested
It's not as powerful as I'd want, but it's not bad for the power it uses.

I haven't found a definitive use for it just yet, but I've tried the debian release for it, and I've used the xbmc clone for it. All the current OSes are linux based, so knowing that would probably be useful.
graphmastur wrote:
All the current OSes are linux based, so knowing that would probably be useful.
Not true - I run RISC OS on mine. Smile
benryves wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
All the current OSes are linux based, so knowing that would probably be useful.
Not true - I run RISC OS on mine. Smile

Correction, "Most" of them.
I might get one, but currently I'm confused on which store to get it.
Same here, but I mean, idk what all I could run on it, I know nothing about Linux and what works and what doesn't. Still for $35 it'd be a bit hard to find something else like it
I bought one at the end of June and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It said 11 weeks when I bought it... and recently they claimed that new purchases would only need to wait 5 weeks.

On the plus side, it's meant to arrive around my birthday.
The_Coded wrote:
Same here, but I mean, idk what all I could run on it, I know nothing about Linux and what works and what doesn't. Still for $35 it'd be a bit hard to find something else like it
It sounds like you're more confused about whether you should get it and what value it would have to you than where exactly you should get it to me, unless I misunderstand you (I've corrected the grammar in your title and fixed it at the same time to reflect that). A few points to that end:

(1) It's good for building small, one-off portable devices that [actually] need more computing power than an Arduino to perform their function. For example, take a look at this topic for Netham45's project to use it as a remote unlocking device for his car.
(2) It's good for DIY projects where you need a lot of computing power and a few GPIO lines. It is not good if you need (a) a lot of GPIO or (b) analog GPIO. Sadly, I discovered that the Beaglebone is similarly lacking in analog GPIO, but has dozens of digital IO lines.
(3) It's well-suited for testing out somewhat light-weight Linux distros, especially for media, as it has a Broadcom SoC tuned for media presentation and was created by several Broadcom employees.
Hmm, ok, could I run d00m, and some small programming kits? I give everything the doom/ZX spectrum test, because hey, if they won't even load...my god it's worthless..even the prizm "runs" doom :p but I think it would be neat to bring a little comp around to say, have portable C or python on the go
The_Coded wrote:
Hmm, ok, could I run d00m, and some small programming kits? I give everything the doom/ZX spectrum test, because hey, if they won't even load...my god it's worthless..even the prizm "runs" doom :p but I think it would be neat to bring a little comp around to say, have portable C or python on the go

Here's an old video of the RPi running quake.
The_Coded wrote:
Well, it has a 500MHz (ish) CPU and 256MB of RAM, so it can run many circles around the Prizm. Its onboard GPU can also do neat things like decode 1080p video in realtime and display it. Don't forget that you'd also have to carry around a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I'd do that gladly, besides as long as I can learn stuff, it's worth it

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours