This is a cross post from this omnimaga topic http://ourl.ca/16662

This is a matured version of http://ourl.ca/8809

THE GAMES HAVE BEGUN THE CONTEST WILL END AUGUST 26th AT 2pm CST

The idea of this contest is relatively simple. A poll is posted and people vote for a project idea/theme. Once the poll is completed the contest will be announced and coders will have 3 weeks(subject to change based on contest idea) to complete their submission. To submit their final result they post in the voting topic(which will be made on the last day) within 24 hours. Source code is all that is required for the submission though binaries for windows/linux/mac are encouraged. You make work individually or in a team.

RULES:
1) With your submission make sure you post build instructions including any libraries needed for compiling
2) The work must be done by you or your team no taking others code or having others write it for you
3) You submit your source/binaries within 24 hours of the contest end
4) Your code cannot contain more than 15% code written before the contest started
5) Do not annoy people to test your program
6) Do not vote on both cemetech and omnimaga please limit your votes to just being on one site they will be combined for the final results

Please follow the rules they all have good reasons behind them and everyone I've seen has been doing great work and it would be a shame to be disqualified after working so hard.

The project idea will be decided through a poll. Post your ideas here for inclusion in the poll(which will be made later this week)

FAQ:

Q: What programming languages can I use?
A: There is no assigned language any comp language can be used. You will most likely want to choose languages which are more cross compatible though as anyone who wants to run it and cannot definitely wont be voting for you.

Q: Is this just another game making competition?
A: Project ideas do not have to be games they can be anything that can be programmed on-comp for comps(excluding websites). The contest will be over making what the community decides is the best idea.

Q: Can we use code from previous projects?
A: You can but it should not be more then 15% of your code. See rule #4

Q: Can I have more than one submission?
A: No we do not want to flood the voters with too many submission and if each person is making 2 or more it could get hectic...

Q: Is this now a cross-site contest?
A: Yes it was suggested that it be crossposted on cemetech and from there it has evolved to the point that there are polls on each site and submissions will be accepted on either.

Q: I use a password in my source can I censor that?
A: Of course you can just leave a comment on the line that says its been censored and you need a real password to run it

Current Project Idea:
IRC bot that plays/manages IRC games. This is a text game that is run by a bot. If the admins approve it maybe there can be and omnimaga-games channel for the winner

Next Project Ideas(pre-poll):
Maze Themed Game
Snake
Tetris
Paint Style program
Map Editor with testing program
Music composition software
2d rts-fps game engine
minesweeper
Jump and Run Game
Red Code like game(program something that plays the game)

Project Ideas that are too general:
AI game
Tools/Utilities
platformer(I may just not understand the category well enough on this though)
Simulation Game

Ideas that can not be in the next contest:
IRC bots/programs

We dont want too close topics to previous ones so we can maintain diversity
Hooray! I'm excited for this. I've started working on a bot that plays Minesweeper, and I think I'll add Battleship and some others as well. Scores will be stored on a database, and there'll be a web page for the top scores and all that.
Would it be safe to assume you need to have an account on said site to participate?
You could have someone else post your program on omni for you if you wont/cant make an account. As long as its submitted as yours and not theirs I would see no problem with that
In that case, I'll see if Juju will post my Roleplay bot once I'm done with it.
I cant wait to see how you do Ashbad looks like this is inspiring lots of good programs so it may end up being pretty close
Thanks for cross-posting this, ruler, and I hope you'll take suggestions from both forums for future contests. I doubt I'll have the time to do this justice, but I wish the people who do have time to entire the best of luck. Since anyone can create arbitrary channels on efnet, why not make something more general, like #calc-game-bots or something? Smile
Yeah I had written the part about channel back when it was an omni only contest. I'll take ideas from both forums just I think the poll will have to remain on omni(or maybe I could put it on some no registration required website...)
ruler501 wrote:
Yeah I had written the part about channel back when it was an omni only contest. I'll take ideas from both forums just I think the poll will have to remain on omni(or maybe I could put it on some no registration required website...)
It wouldn't be too hard to combine the votes from two polls, would it? Although if you just took ideas from both forums and then combined those ideas into a poll on just Omni and announced the results to both fora, I see nothing particularly wrong with that. Smile
Yeah I'll just combine votes to make it easy on people my only problem with that was its a little harder for people to see how the votings going but that shouldnt be too much of a problem.
ruler501 wrote:
Yeah I'll just combine votes to make it easy on people my only problem with that was its a little harder for people to see how the votings going but that shouldnt be too much of a problem.
Fair enough. So how is this portion of the contest going so far? How many people are entering, as far as you know?
I know of at least 5 people planning on entering. Looking at the bots that are pretty advanced in development its going to be a very good competition at the end
So, can we start discussing ideas for the next contest? I vote 'Snake', if we can. Smile Seems like something that would be a nice challenge for TI and Casio programmers alike.
Ooh, good idea, I can try my Axe skills?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours