Casio-Scene has had to be shut down because of a legal dispute. It's sad to see something like this happen to the community. helder7 says to contact him if you need files or tutorials from casio-scene projects.
Who is causing said legal dispute ? Probably not the manufacturer ?
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Who is causing said legal dispute ? Probably not the manufacturer ?

There are problems with the Casio Kingdom admin.
That sucks.
I shall have to bug helder at some point to give me those tutorials to host. TI-Freakware needs a casio tutorials section for sure Smile
seana11 wrote:
Casio-Scene has had to be shut down because of a legal dispute. It's sad to see something like this happen to the community. helder7 says to contact him if you need files or tutorials.
I'm sorry to hear that, although my first contact with him was when he redistributed my Prizm projects under his own name without asking. Razz Daniel, since they're Casio tutorials, I think they should probably also go on WikiPrizm. Smile
But my site is supposed to be a repository of tutorials and such, but I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
We should get some of the different files from Casio-Scene into the Cemetech archives. I had found a couple cool programs for the classpad and prizm on there. Also they had (from what I saw) 500+ programs for casio calculators and computers too. Getting the files from there would probably draw more people to our forums and archives that used to go to Casio-Scene, and we could add more stuff to the casio section in the forums.
tifreak8x wrote:
But my site is supposed to be a repository of tutorials and such, but I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
No, I definitely agree they should be there too, but we should also either copy or link the relevant Casio BASIC one(s) from WikiPrizm.
That sucks. I hope content can be retrieved so the tutorials and hopefully some exclusive files can be put online somewhere.

Also there was a wiki being built there. Maybe if it had useful tutorials it could have been added to WikiPrizm or, in the case WikiPrizm doesn't cover non-Prizm stuff, PrizmWiki?

Casio-Scene forums and file archives were actually CasioKingdom database that was salvaged from the latter, because it was abandoned and eventually no longer functional (for example, nobody could sign up since April 2011). However, it looks like the admin may not have asked permission before using the db content and redirecting the domain name (although personally I feel it was for the best of the community to salvage the content, because CK admins pretty much abandoned the site beforehand anyway)
critor wrote:
Did you notice the new agressive and useless CasioKingdom homepage message ?
http://casiokingdom.org/

(crosspost)

Ick. Not that kind of trouble again...
Did helder get his permission before redirecting it to his site?

If not, I can't say I don't feel somewhat for this guy.
The redirect could probably be the problem, because from memory, Matt Matpac kept CK online for the ad revenues (after buying the site from its founder, Sean Tan), and the redirect most likely affected the ad revenues and he noticed it.

Otherwise, I am unsure if Matt would have a case for the copied site content, especially considering he wasn't willing to keep this content intact online anyway. And even for the potential money loss from ad revenues due to the redirect, fighting in court for that will cost him far more than what he lost.
DJ_O wrote:
The redirect could probably be the problem, because from memory, Matt Matpac kept CK online for the ad revenues (after buying the site from its founder, Sean Tan), and the redirect most likely affected the ad revenues and he noticed it.

Otherwise, I am unsure if Matt would have a case for the copied site content, especially considering he wasn't willing to keep this content intact online anyway. And even for the potential money loss from ad revenues due to the redirect, fighting in court for that will cost him far more than what he lost.
True, but it's about the principle of the thing. If someone mirrored Cemetech without permission, I know that I would certainly be beyond furious and certainly would seek legal counsel about fixing the situation. If helder did indeed do this without permission, I would understand where the original owner was coming from, and since helder has a history of copying things without asking, I could easily see it as possible. Since helder7 is a Cemetech member, perhaps he'd like to come explain things to us.
I would think the worst part wouldn't be the cloned version of Casio Kingdom, but the fact that it was hacked to redirect to said cloned version of Casio Kingdom, right? Or am I missing something else in this entire legal dispute?
Well, the only reason why he cloned the site in the first place is because the original copy was in danger of disappearing entirely. In fact, in its final year, the entire download section was no longer accessible and we could no longer post on the forums. The admin was contacted so that this gets fixed, to no avail.

I doubt he would have just plain copied the site to form his own if the original was still thriving. He only did that to save the community.
KermMartian wrote:
f someone mirrored Cemetech without permission, I know that I would certainly be beyond furious and certainly would seek legal counsel about fixing the situation.

Awww, shucks.
I saw helder on SAX yesterday evening and requested that he post his side of the story in this topic, but I see that he did not. I'm disappointed that he didn't add some fact into the speculation here to at least defend himself a bit.
Yeah on our side we started to wonder how the process of getting access to the domain name went, to no avail. Some people have misconceptions of what the word hacked and cracked means and think that if you give your password to someone else and that person does something you don't like with your account, then it's account hacking or cracking. So in other words, there are chances that the CK admin made things look worse than they actually were. On the other hand, even if full access rights were granted, that right may not have included the one to have the domain name redirect the traffic elsewhere, and I actually forgot about the add-in package incident until you mentioned it above.

By the way, I think the forum database was given by the original Casiokingdom admin before the current one bought the site. This is why every post on Casio Scene were from before 2009. Only some files in the downloads section were from after Matt got the site.
He never posted it here, but:

Quote:
Hello, thanks for the big support by planet casio members and also by you, critor.

this message in site is very mild compared to the emails that he sent me,...
I dont want talk more about of this in forums,.. He "take screenshots" of my posts :S (screenshots isnt valid as proof in my country)

I offered to him (my last offer) the CS full backup (i and members spend many hours with the site, projects (at least the site keep open)... For exemple, for the design i spend 3/4 weeks, for the wiki, maybe 3/4 weeks only to dev/organize it with the big help of the ziqumu), + domain, he refused...he only want money

In last months we have +/- 30 good add-ins released, ( in last 2 years only 1or 2 is released by international community), a great syscall documentation by simon for prizm/fx9860 and other releases.

The site is closed foreved, never open again, i dont want problems... Bye Calculators, for now ? With the end of casio-scene many other members cease work in Casio Calculators, like my web-friend and mod simon and others casio fx9860 devs.

Now, holidays... And i started working in other project for other type of devices, not calcs

Wiki is made by me and many planet casio members and will return soon.

Seems he doesn't want to elaborate further in public, which is fair. He doesn't quite owe us an explaination, but the fact he gave one was nice Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours