Hi all,

i have some questions regarding programming the Casio prizm.

Is there any IDE for the Casio Prizm?

Can it be programmed in C and BASIC? Are there guides to its programming?

How can I program the "rule of 3"?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to Cemetech, PrizmOS! As the DoorsCS bot said (well, as I made it say), you should Introduce Yourself in this topic, and stick around to share your projects and draw on our programming experts. Smile

prizmos wrote:
Hi all,

There is no IDE, but there is an SDK. You write your programs in C, compile them with the PrizmSDK, and copy them to your calculator. There's a growing guide called WikiPrizm that we're creating.

Quote:
Yes, C and BASIC are both available. There are not currently great guides.

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Can you be more specific about that last one?
prizmos wrote:
Hi all,

Hiya! Welcome to Cemetech! Would you mind introducing yourself in the Introduce Me topic?

Quote:

Technically, no. But you can easily make one. I believe that Merth/Shaun uses Visual Studio and some build scripts to work on his Prizm programs. I personally just use a text editor (emacs) and a command line, and I think others do the same (Except maybe with a different editor). If you're on Windows and don't want to deal with Visual Studio or a heavy IDE, I'd suggest Notepad++ and the command line (or a Batch script). If you don't mind VS, I'm sure Merth will see this thread and help out.

Quote:

It can be programmed in both! With C, you use the (Cemetech?) Prizm SDK, and for BASIC, you use Casio's built-in editor or SourceCoder. There are some guides to specifically programming the Prizm, which I believe are on our Wiki, but I think what will help the most with C coding is to just learn C, not "Prizm-flavored C". For BASIC, I'd check Google because I'm not sure if we have as strong of an interest in BASIC programming as opposed to C coding, so I don't think anyone has written any tutorials for it. I could be wrong, though, so check this subforum.

Quote:

(For others, he's talking about Cross Multiplication)

What language? And how much programming do you know, already? We won't program the whole thing for you, but we can definitely give you some pointers Smile

Quote:
Thanks in advance

Any time Smile
_player1537 wrote:
Quote:

Technically, no. But you can easily make one. I believe that Merth/Shaun uses Visual Studio and some build scripts to work on his Prizm programs. I personally just use a text editor (emacs) and a command line, and I think others do the same (Except maybe with a different editor). If you're on Windows and don't want to deal with Visual Studio or a heavy IDE, I'd suggest Notepad++ and the command line (or a Batch script). If you don't mind VS, I'm sure Merth will see this thread and help out.
I believe Merth just has it configured to call our packaged Make when instructed to build. I've done similar with Eclipse before, so it's not very difficult to do.
thanks for your prompt response....

How I use the SDK? Can it be used within Eclipse?

Any link to beginners for programming this thing in C and BASIC?

rule of 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-multiplication

The user is supposed to give 3 numbers (b,c,d) and the program has to compute the x. Actually very simple but I have no clue how to do it in Prizm.

Edit by Catherine: merged your posts
I think my questions are so far answered except for the program, which is as difficult as writing "hello world" but for me is too hard. I m sure you guys you need only one minute for that. It s only a multiplication...
Tari wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Quote:

I believe Merth just has it configured to call our packaged Make when instructed to build. I've done similar with Eclipse before, so it's not very difficult to do.
That's right, I just have it call make. It's pretty simple to set up, and I just use a template and a program that copies it all over.

prizmos wrote:
thanks for your prompt response....

Yes, as Tari said above, it can be used with Eclipse. I don't know how Eclipse works, but I'm sure you can just set up a project that uses a makefile and off it goes.

prizmos wrote:
It sounds to me like you're a total beginner to programming. You should look for some C tutorials online, and ask us if you have any questions. Start out with just C for your computer, and most of what you learn will be applicable to the Prizm.

prizmos wrote:

The user is supposed to give 3 numbers (b,c,d) and the program has to compute the x. Actually very simple but I have no clue how to do it in Prizm.

Edit by Catherine: merged your posts
I think my questions are so far answered except for the program, which is as difficult as writing "hello world" but for me is too hard. I m sure you guys you need only one minute for that. It s only a multiplication...
It doesn't seem too hard, you should look up some C tutorials and get started Smile We're not going to write your software for you, but we'll answer any questions you have along the way.
prizmos wrote:

Tari seemed to be saying that you just point Eclipse at "make" (a program that comes with the SDK), and it will compile correctly. I've never messed with it, but I could poke around a little later to see if I can come up with some steps.

Quote:

I referenced a couple of places in my post, I think. Did those work?

Quote:

[/quote]
It is fairly simple. Getting it to work on the Prizm is a little bit less simple, but it should be fine. The way I was thinking of doing it was either: use the arrow keys to change B, C, and D and then press Enter to solve. But if you have larger numbers, that may not be a good solution. The other choice is to use Kerm's InputText routine (I don't have a link, but it's on the Wiki), but that's a little more difficult.

Unless you're asking for BASIC code, in which case this whole process is really simple! To solve for A in A/B = C/D:

Code:
"B:"?->B
"C:"?->C
"D:"?->D
B*C/D<weird triangle thingy>
@player1537: thanks, the code worked like I wanted.

@merthsoft: I hope you don't consider that a software...
prizmos wrote:
@merthsoft: I hope you don't consider that a software...
Well, it's certainly not a hardware.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours