Worked for 2-3 hours to make a new look for my Roleplay OC, Cloverjack! First pony sprite done entirely from scratch without looking at a single pony picture for reference! Very Happy

Made this pixel art this morning for Feld0's birthday.
Where's my tree?
merthsoft wrote:
Where's my tree?

I'm working on it right now Wink I'm experimenting with a few different techniques to make it the best I possibly can by Monday or so.
Hooray!

Very nice work on the ponies, btw. I don't understand the appeal, but your sprites are certainly impressive.
merthsoft wrote:
Hooray!

\o/ It's gonna take until Monday for your tree since I haven't done a large tree sprite for a while, and because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to pixel art requests Wink

Quote:
Very nice work on the ponies, btw. I don't understand the appeal, but your sprites are certainly impressive.

Thanks! I put a ton of hours into them (the one for Feld0 I made earlier today took 3 hours, since I was taking a break from tree-related things). As for the appeal of ponies, I don't blame you for not understanding them; I didn't for the longest time, but for some reason the show got through to me (that being said, just watching the show won't mean you'll like them; there's plenty of people who've watched it and still said "meh")
I was bored in class yesterday, so I started drawing some stuff on my calc...
turiqwalrus wrote:
I was bored in class yesterday, so I started drawing some stuff on my calc...
Very nice! That reminds me of the days when I would design hand-dithered logos, posters, and icons on my calculators during classes and gym in high school. Smile
Get ready to be scared! Shock

http://www.omnimaga.org/images/screenshots/rol0b.jpg

(Note: This dates back in Early 2003. I would have done far better today, although far less good than most people here, especially Ashbad)

Kinda felt nostalgic at one time and played through the entire game, though. Razz
DJ_O wrote:
Get ready to be scared! Shock

http://www.omnimaga.org/images/screenshots/rol0b.jpg

(Note: This dates back in Early 2003. I would have done far better today, although far less good than most people here, especially Ashbad)

Kinda felt nostalgic at one time and played through the entire game, though. Razz

you should also put up the shot from the remake you're making(the one with the 'toned-down portal' Cool
Lol no. That reminds me, I actually had an updated version of that one, using proper colors of course. I should make a new screenshot at one point. (It also has the new HUD, which re-uses the Ys calc borders like in the mockup on the previous page)
So. Cemetechnicians. It's summer, the perfect time of the year for pixeling. I had the idea of holding a Cemetech 2012 Summer Pixel Art Competition! Other calculator sites in the past have had them, and the outcomes where generally rather cool. Unfortunately, that was back when calculators all had monochrome screens, so competitors were forced to use at most 4 shades of grey color-wise. This is not the case anymore with the Casio Prizm and Nspire CX! So, without further ado, here are the guidelines I was thinking of using:

- Canvas size must be between 64x64 pixels and 512x512 pixels inclusive (so, relatively small to medium size)
- Max color count is 32 (therefore, no index-painting or airbrushing)
- One entry per contestant
- No collab entries
- All references used (if any) need to stated
- No oekaki, it's not pixel art

The judges will be me... and me? Unless someone else wants to step up to the plate as well who knows their pixels? As for prizes, not sure yet. And for scoring criteria:

Colors (10pts): colors used were well-picked and were harmonious with other used colors. In addition, better usage of colors results in better score (for example, using many near-identical shades without purpose will retract from score)
Subject (10pts): The actual subject of the pixel is both on-topic to the theme, clearly shown, and creative.
Technique (10pts): The quality of pixeling; if dithering is used, the quality of dithering and patterns is taken into account, as well as correct usage; if anti-aliasing is done, the quality and cleverness of the AA (for example, reusing other palette colors for AA instead of new ones) is taken into account -- and if either an AA filter or blur tool was used, the piece is disqualified (that would make it uncontrolled and therefore not pixel art, and trust me, I'll know if you used a blur tool or filter). Polish and style are both factors that go into the decision.
Originality (10pts): Basically, if you're using like 20 references, you're probably going to get a bad score here. Or if you do something that's been done plenty of times before.

As for the topic, I'm thinking of 3 vague ones: "Spaceships", "Summertime", and "Technology". All three are pretty open. I'm thinking of which one to pick.

So, good idea or bad? If the admins approve of it, I can finalize this and make this its own topic.
Sounds like a good idea, Ashbad! I'll probably join.
Sounds like there's some interesting then. Smile Anyone else who would think about taking part?
Any others interested? Any admin/mod opinions?

EDIT: meh, then I guess not enough people care about the idea; I'll drop the idea then.
Well, no interest, no contest. Kind of a shame, because I think there are a lot of people that would be interesting once it started off.

On a side note, someone emailed me yesterday after seeing my portfolio, and as of this morning I now have my first commercial commission as a pixel artist! Best part, is that it's paid, too. They already have a more seasoned artist drawing up all the game's tiles, but they want me to be drawing up the splash screen, title screen, buttons, menus, etc. for the game. Seems well within what I can do; plus, I'll be collaborating with the other artist to get a sense of what the game's environment and style generally is. It's an android game in development, and this is what the tiles look like so far:

So, it looks like a semi-realistic style (with lots and lots of hue shifts) that I'll be working with. I'm excited ^_^
Quick album cover I whipped up in about an hour for a self-motivated music project I'm working on:

Drawing up the face took most of the time; for the text that spells "8064" I just looked online for a font that I edited to make work for this (called "Archer Flat") -- the bottom font I made as a cross between the "Atari Kids" font and one of the fonts on a Koto album: http://www.dragonslairfans.com/music/koto.jpg

Started off as a silly drawing I made in class, because, welll, precalc sucks.  https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/SCAN0001%20%282%29.jpg
Woah, quadruple-post, there O_o
You seem to be one of the main posters here, but that's understandable- you're the expert here...

In any case, not bad. I'm not sure how much I like the orange, but that's the only complaint I can find for now.
turiqwalrus wrote:
Woah, quadruple-post, there O_o
You seem to be one of the main posters here, but that's understandable- you're the expert here...

In any case, not bad. I'm not sure how much I like the orange, but that's the only complaint I can find for now.

Quadruple post over a period of >4 Months Wink

As for being an "expert", I'm far from being where I want to be compared to some of my peers or idols, but only practice can fix that.

And as for the orange-blue contrast, it was intended mostly to draw the eye towards the orange parts, which it sounds like it has. I used orange and blue because I personally think the way they contrast looks great, unlike something like yellow and purple.
Started a doodle two days ago, put another hour for finishing frame today.

An experimentation with glitch art, and more abstract ideas. Called it "When I'm 64" after The Beatles' song -- there's a purpose behind that, but that's up for others to figure out, and up for me to laugh at incorrect artistic analysis. Smile
Ashbad wrote:
Started a doodle two days ago, put another hour for finishing frame today.

An experimentation with glitch art, and more abstract ideas. Called it "When I'm 64" after The Beatles' song -- there's a purpose behind that, but that's up for others to figure out, and up for me to laugh at incorrect artistic analysis. Smile

I think it's "When I'm 64x64" as opposed to 32x32. Because the dude is doubling in resolution in the second frame.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours