Wow, old thread is old!

Here is some pixel art that I drew in Koala Painter on my Commodore 64 when I was about 6 years old (so they are much older than this thread):

The aspect ratio is wrong, though, since pixels on the C64 are not square.
those are pretty awesome for a 6 year old Smile

Also, just fixed up the silhouette -- here is a finalized version:

notice that I cleaned up some rough edges and most importantly fixed the ears.
TBH, I was probably actually 7 or 8 when I made those. Very Happy I can't tell when they were made, since the date/time wasn't stored on C64 disks (and the C64 resets the time when it starts up anyway).

Here's another one from around the same time period. I apparently liked bombs:

here's the splash screen of my now-defunct RPG game
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/2-SCREEN01.BMP
Christop, you drew those two Commodore sprites, the Reese's and the helicopter, when you were 6 years old? I am very impressed!
KermMartian wrote:
Christop, you drew those two Commodore sprites, the Reese's and the helicopter, when you were 6 years old? I am very impressed!

Well, as I said, I was probably older than that, as in 7 or 8. Now that I think about it, I may have even been 9 years old. Not so impressive anymore, eh? Very Happy I know that I started BASIC when I was 6, though.
christop wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Well, as I said, I was probably older than that, as in 7 or 8. Now that I think about it, I may have even been 9 years old. Not so impressive anymore, eh? Very Happy I know that I started BASIC when I was 6, though.
Nah, I'd say that that's still pretty impressive. I know that I learned Logo in 1st grade when I was around 5 or 6, and started QBASIC at most three years later, probably fewer.
*bmupity bump* Just for Shaun, some icons. Any feedback? Bonus points if you can figure out what each one represents.

Hmm. Program, Image, Matrix, List... AppVar?

I like them quite a lot, but they're more than 20x20. They should be similar to this in size (like the icon for Program.cs), but I like your style:

I also need one to represent a project on the whole, like the GetDicomTabs element in that tree.
They are 20x20; I just blew them up to 40x40 for the sake of being able to see them better. Smile I emailed you the separate 20x20 icons as transparent-backgrounded PNGs.
Oooh, look at that, you did. Nice. Thanks! You're the best.
merthsoft wrote:
Oooh, look at that, you did. Nice. Thanks! You're the best.
Haha, thanks. I'll see what I can do as far as a general project icon.
Those icons looks nice Very Happy

Also pixel art below:

Reuben Quest series and The Reign of Legends 3: Note that the grayscale reuben monsters, for the most part, are NOT by me, but are rather conversions of various NES/SNES monsters. Those tiles and sprites range from late 2003 to early 2005.

Zelda: Dark Link Quest title screen (2004):

Mockup of cancelled Nemesiat/Illusiat 6 remake (2007 or 2008 I think):

Sprites for cancelled Nemesiat II project (2008):

A mockup of how a Ys: Ancient Ys Vanished port for the TI-83 Plus series could have looked like:
Oooh, very nice sprites! I particularly like how the converted NES/SNES sprites, but the other ones look good too. And those mockups are cool; too bad those programs never came to fruition. Sad
Thanks. Very Happy As for the mockups, I just realized that the way I made trees for Nemesiat would have made it too tedious to convert maps at the time, since half of the maps would have been actual trees and were incredibly large. Later I thought about making a Nemesiat sequel (basically Illusiat 6-II, sort-of), then I stopped for a while. However for odd reasons I lost track of my backups, which ended the project. The speed was not very fast, too, since it aimed for high grayscale quality on regular 83+ models and was made with xLIB.

The Ys one was just an idea I had, since I loved the original game series. However I worried about copyright issues: With Square and Nintendo it seems we can do clones and ports of their games without any problem, but with more obscure and less known companies, from which no game were ported to calcs, it's better to not take any risk after what happened with the Golden Sun project on Omnimaga in 2005.
Since I've been trying like crazy to improve my pixel art skills over time, I thought that about 3 years into that effort I would start a compilation of everything pixel-arty I've drawn from when I was 11, until now (aged 16). Right now I look back on my old stuff and laugh, since while it's good for a beginner, there are an incredible amount of flaws. Here are two comparisons between before and after, just a sample. I have about 50 different ones I'm making, likely not in a quick little MS paint thing like these. Most of the [NOW] comparisons are either at most 6 months old, or I make them on the spot to see how better I can do them in a shorter amount of time. For example, the [NOW] Isometric map on the right I kind of just mocked up from scratch in 15 minutes earlier this afternoon, and it puts the other one to shame.

I plan when I'm 20 to look back on these comparisons, laugh, and say how horrible my pixel are was when I was 16. Until then, I feel content Wink
Your age 13 stuff is better than anything I could do. The age 16 stuff is pretty awesome. Are you going something isometricy and that's why you worked on that?
Looks good, Ashbad! This just occured to me to post this; this is some overworld art a friend made for TLKOA.

The jagged corners thing has been fixed, don't worry.

merthsoft wrote:
Your age 13 stuff is better than anything I could do. The age 16 stuff is pretty awesome. Are you going something isometricy and that's why you worked on that?

Thanks a ton Very Happy I actually am considering doing a tiny little project for the Prizm similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, since after mocking that up I remembered how much more fun it is to do isometric art, and since FFTA has always been one of my favorite games and something like that would also be fun to code.
I finished my "Pinkie Pie & Twilight Tail Yank", which I happen to be also using for my WIP pixel art tutorial for beginners:

To come next are more ponies, and Merth requested for me to draw him a large pixel art tree ("in brownscale".)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours