Hey, I need help with Z80 Asm for my Ti-84+.
I now use Brass.exe, not TASM.

When I try the Learn ASM in 28 Days tutorial, I get stuck at step 1.

When I try to compile the Hello World program, it said the tabs didn't line up and the console threw me about a million errors about why it couldn't compile 10 lines of code.

Help please?

Oh, and is there a special Ti-84+ ASM ide I can use to help me out?
If you just download and unpack the Doors CS SDK, you should be able to put the code in blah.asm in the source/ directory, pop open a console, and type "compile blah" (without the ".asm"). That should spit an executable into the exec/ folder. If that doesn't do the trick, can you post the code you're trying to assemble here? And as far as IDEs, there are a few, but I find it easier to just write my code in Notepad++ and keep a command window open for assembling.
Well, my project is on long term hold due to class, so I'm going to try this ASM in 28 days, just to see what I can do
The_Coded wrote:
Well, my project is on long term hold due to class, so I'm going to try this ASM in 28 days, just to see what I can do
A good plan. But make sure you try out code and write code as you go; if you just read the text, you probably won't learn anything. And if you need more examples as you go, we are happy to write snippets for you to explore or direct you to released programs with bundled source you can examine.
Thanks, since it's z80 ASM would it be useful for say ZX Spectrum or Commodore Vic 20? they are zilog80 processors too. on an un related note, Where can I get the BASIC calls for my Prizm? my manual didn't have any
The_Coded wrote:
Thanks, since it's z80 ASM would it be useful for say ZX Spectrum or Commodore Vic 20? they are zilog80 processors too. on an un related note, Where can I get the BASIC calls for my Prizm? my manual didn't have any
Actually, the Casio Prizm manual does have the commands, in a reference at the end of the programming chapter. But don't hijack the topic.

Yes, it's more or less the same, opcode-wise, as ASM for the Spectrum or the Vic 20. However, the way you interface the LCD and the keypad, the memory layout, and the equivalent of the VAT, not to mention the set of available bcalls, is totally different on those devices.
The_Coded wrote:

The Commodore VIC 20 actually has a MOS6502 processor. AFAIK, the first Commodore computer with a Z80 processor was the C128, but the main processor was still a variant of the MOS6502 (the C128 could run CP/M software on its Z80).
Um, two questions:

I got the Hello World! thing to correctly compile, but when I run the program, nothing shows up on the screen. What I do is this:

Asm(prgmHWORLD
Done

Why?

Also, how do I use the on-calc TASM program? It is kind of cool because then I can compile ASM progs I write directly on the calc, but I don't really know the syntax, because it's different (do I put registers? Any "include" files?)
Christop: Interesting, thanks for that tidbit!
GinDiamond: If you have Doors CS, you don't need the Asm(, but if you're not using it, you do. Either way, I can't tell without looking at the code that you're using. If you mean Mimas, it's just like writing ASM in a computer-side text editor, and it does have include files for the major shells like Doors CS and Ion.
Oh, thanks for the clarification on the on-calc assembler!

The code I was using is this:

.NOLIST
#define EQU .equ
#define equ .equ
#define END .end
#define end .end
#include "ti83plus.inc"
.LIST

.org 9D93h
ld a,0
ld (CURCOL),a
ld (CURROW),a
ld hl,text
B_CALL(_PutS)
ret
text:
.db "Hello, World",0

.end
end

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours