Very nice video. It's awesome to see all the versions that's come along, and how each game jumped ahead with great improvements. Can't wait to get V on my calculator Smile
Seeing the progressing like that is really neat! The first version looks like it was painful to play, I'm glad it's not still like that! I'm really impressed with how ABV looks, I think doing the walls how you did definitely adds to the experience, and I can't wait to play the finished game.

I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but will you be releasing the mapping tools and such as well?
merthsoft wrote:
Seeing the progressing like that is really neat! The first version looks like it was painful to play, I'm glad it's not still like that! I'm really impressed with how ABV looks, I think doing the walls how you did definitely adds to the experience, and I can't wait to play the finished game.

I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but will you be releasing the mapping tools and such as well?

Yeah the first version was horrible, but then again it was one of my earliest attempts at programming in any language, so I can have a good laugh at it without feeling too self-conscious Smile

Agreed, I'm much happier with the look since doing the new walls, and the tiled looking floors as well. It's all added more depth to the game, and it actually looks somewhat like the original Amiga game now.

Yeah I will be releasing the game source code and mapping tools, although this will be separately, probably a couple of weeks or so after I release the game. It will also include the source code to the actual map editor program, which is written in C# for Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2010 Smile
Ah, that's wonderful! I'm so very excited for this. Can't wait to play it! Ahh.
JamesV wrote:
Yeah I will be releasing the game source code and mapping tools, although this will be separately, probably a couple of weeks or so after I release the game. It will also include the source code to the actual map editor program, which is written in C# for Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2010 Smile
I know that Shaun for one will be happy that you wrote it in C#, and good for you for releasing code for everything. Hopefully people are respectful of your work (I speak from a few bad experiences that came from releasing code). And to paraphrase and agree with Shaun, the gameplay and look-and-feel seems quite polished to me, so I too am excited about the finished product.
What a great video. I'm really excited to play the finished product Smile It was fun to see the evolution of familiar visual elements from AB4 as early as #2.
Thanks guys! Hopefully it lives up to your expectations Smile

I generally release the source code to most of my projects, simply because reading the source code of others before me was how I learnt a lot of Z80 assembly in the first place, particularly Sqrxz by Jimmy Mardell - when I was first learning Z80, I literally printed off the entire source code and went over it repeatedly until I understood it all.

It was funny for me putting together that video and going back over the old games - I'd forgotten how basic some of the early versions of AB2 were!
Hey Will it work on a ti83+? jw..also, if not, I'm busy with school but trying to learn programming on a calc..Is there a way to go from asm to C or Lua? I'd like to try at a make on the Prizm at some point in the future
The_Coded wrote:
Hey Will it work on a ti83+? jw..also, if not, I'm busy with school but trying to learn programming on a calc..Is there a way to go from asm to C or Lua? I'd like to try at a make on the Prizm at some point in the future

It does work on a TI-83+ yes Smile

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any automated way of converting Z80 assembly to C for the Prizm, as far as I know it would have to be manually ported, although I could be wrong.
Alien Breed 5 v1.0.0 is now available at ticalc.org! Smile
Woo, yes! Don't forget to upload it here, too!
Woo! Nice work Smile I'll be testing it out when I get back to school! And definitely do upload it here as well.
I quite like this game, However I have only 1 gripe, upon playing it after a while it likes to crash my 83+, then wipes the main game off of it -_- very nice game though!
The_Coded wrote:
I quite like this game, However I have only 1 gripe, upon playing it after a while it likes to crash my 83+, then wipes the main game off of it -_- very nice game though!

Thanks for the feedback, both positive and negative! That's disappointing to hear about the crash, has this happened more than once? Can I ask what shell you're running? And what part of the program you were in when it crashed, eg. normal gameplay, during a boss fight, during a particular menu, etc? Anything you can tell me will give me extra information to find any bugs Smile
Yes, it's happend 2 times then I just quit playing it, I'm using Doors CS 7, it crashes during normal gameplay and totally wipes my RAM cache -_- other than that it works...also I didn't realize the starting machine gun consumed ammo and ran out super quick XD
The_Coded wrote:
Yes, it's happend 2 times then I just quit playing it, I'm using Doors CS 7, it crashes during normal gameplay and totally wipes my RAM cache -_- other than that it works...also I didn't realize the starting machine gun consumed ammo and ran out super quick XD
But where in normal gameplay? Would you mind testing it out a bit more and see if you can find a common factor in the crashes? Also, I can't imagine it's from any of the Ion library implementations in Doors CS, but you never know. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Also, I can't imagine it's from any of the Ion library implementations in Doors CS, but you never know. Smile

I don't think it would be a DCS7 / Ion library problem, otherwise it would affect many other programs. It must be an AB5 specific issue, or something already on that particular calc conflicting with AB5 in some way.

I'll run some tests on my end and see what I can find! Thanks for reporting this The_Coded! Any other info you can provide will be gratefully accepted Smile
Well sirs, it happens on level 1 only and it's just at random when I'm walking around anywhere at any given time
Any update on when the dev tools and source will be released?
merthsoft wrote:
Any update on when the dev tools and source will be released?

Funnily enough, I went into the AB5 folder on my computer just the other night, started making a few minor updates for v1.0.1.. Smile When I release this small update, I'll be releasing the source code and level editor, etc. a few days later

So I guess to answer your question, hopefully before end of year, or very early Jan 2013 Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours