Can you tell me more about it?
skatanik wrote:
Can you tell me more about it?
I can do better than that: I can point you at the first post of this very thread, where I describe the process of compiling a new kernel and root image for your Beaglebone in great detail:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7814
sorry for bringing and old topic back but i have a question about this beaglebone and lcd.

not a native english speaker so go easy on me.

firstly i am considering to get a beaglebone for a home automation project.
Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as i understand your instructions are for using this lcd as primary screen output. My interest in this lcd is a little bit different. I want to use it as a dedicated ip camera display. Do you think it will be possible? If yes, can you guide me how?
Welcome to Cemetech, uncensored! Do you want to use the LCD as one of two or more screens, then? Or is it OK if you just use it to display the output of the camera, even though it's also is the device's primary output? Do you potentially want to connect multiple LCDs? There's a way to multiplex the Clock Select (CS) line so you could use multiple LCDs, but it would require some changes to the driver
Thank you for a warm welcome.

I just need one LCD for the camera output and leave hdmi/composite output as primary output so i can plug a monitor and interact with the system independent of running camera LCD. So I think primary output is out of the question for such a setup.
Basically what i want is:
1- Linux desktop at hdmi/composite
2- Ip camera output at LCD
I believe you can do that, although I'm not positive how you would instruct the OS to use the LCD as a second display. I know that you can control which framebuffer device it is, though (like fb0 or fb1), so it might not actually be too hard.
For my purpose kernel patching won't be necessary, am I right?
Just a new fb driver for this LCD will be enough if i am not mixing things up. So that i can write a small program to display a captured image on the LCD using the new fb driver.
You could make the driver a kernel module, sure, although I ended up finding it to be cleaner to compile the driver straight into the kernel. I think your approach sounds reasonabe.
I think I would do the same if I was going to use it as a primary display.
Have you ever measured fps of the LCD?
I think it may be good to know if I can get a 25 fps or more(since it will display a 25 fps video stream) before purchasing.
I will buy beaglebone black when im out of exams... there is easy to connect and use with ssd1289? i sell LCD modules that works with stellaris or tiva launchpad from Texas Instruments. I try to connect this to beaglebone black Wink
danirebollo wrote:
I will buy beaglebone black when im out of exams... there is easy to connect and use with ssd1289? i sell LCD modules that works with stellaris or tiva launchpad from Texas Instruments. I try to connect this to beaglebone black Wink
I suspect that my patch will work pretty painlessly on the Beaglebone Black, but I'm not sure yet. I too am planning to get a Beaglebone Black when I have some free time, and I'll be sure to try using it with my patch and LCD.
First of all: Nice work !! Thanks !
At the moment i am working on a BeagleBone Black with a SSD1963.
I ported the driver to SSD1963 and it works fine so for.

i was able to get a console on this display, but when i try to play some video content lets say using mplayer, i got no output on the display. The console remains on the screen, but also no error from mplayer.

So my question: Is there something wrong with my driver?
Should this be possible with the driver ??
There were a few tweaks that I had to make to force it to work correctly as a graphics device, but it actually is working fine on the Beaglebone I have at the office (which unfortunately is 3,000 miles away from me at the moment). I can't seem to find my notes to myself about that at the moment, I'm afraid. What display device did you pass to mplayer?
here my call for mplayer:

mplayer -vo fbdev2:/dev/fb0 -vf scale=800:480 big_buck_bunny_
480p_stereo.ogg

so for my understanding, this should work.
Hi! Thank for nice work..
I try use you patch for BeagleBone kernel, but many fails and kernel not work (3.2.0)..
When I manually make modification kernel sources in appliance with patch.
I am correct startup code (my display have R61580 controller, i8080-16, 320x240 pixs). Rebuild kernel and load.. Display show string and tux Smile
Good! But "fbi" and "mplayer" not work - no any image..
I change in ssd1289.c string:

Code:
//   item->info->fix.smem_start = item->vram_virt;
   item->info->fix.smem_start = item->vram_phys;

and now I can see any graphic or video content..

Thank you again!

Two photo:

ps: sorry for my "english" Smile[/img]
Jury, thank you for sharing your results! Would you be so kind as to re-package your 3.2.0 changes as a new patch, or don't you have time? And thanks for the virt/phys tip; how did you figure that out?
KermMartian wrote:
Jury, thank you for sharing your results! Would you be so kind as to re-package your 3.2.0 changes as a new patch, or don't you have time?

I try this at next week, because all sources in office..
this kernel sources (3.2.0) include with BSP from ti.com for am335x (aprox 1.6GB)..

Quote:
And thanks for the virt/phys tip; how did you figure that out?

a bit of luck and observation Smile

But, your make really greate work for create this driver, cool!

In my setup configuration have little bug - for first photo can see 240 row (below 1Help 2Menu etc) - is wrong.. this line number 0. Maybe I made a mistake in the settings..
I am trying to integrate a 5" LCD to the beaglebone black. after some googling, I found this thread. I had followed till the bitbake compilation. However, since I checkout the 2013.06 source, it is using the 3.8 linux kernel. Now, I can't find the board file for am335x.

So I read about the 3.8 kernel. It now uses device tree to add support for hardware connected to the MPU. Have you tried to make your LCD work with the version 3.8 of the linux kernel?

Thanks.
engkan2kit wrote:
So I read about the 3.8 kernel. It now uses device tree to add support for hardware connected to the MPU. Have you tried to make your LCD work with the version 3.8 of the linux kernel?

Thanks.
I'm afraid I haven't experimented with any of the latest kernels. If you do figure out how to do it, though, I would love to hear!
KermMartian wrote:
engkan2kit wrote:

Thanks.
I'm afraid I haven't experimented with any of the latest kernels. If you do figure out how to do it, though, I would love to hear!

I got it working in 3.8 kernel. I think it is less complicated to add an LCD in the latest kernel because of the device tree. I just used the tilcdc driver and defined the timings and resolution based on the datasheet of my display. Pinmuxing is done via a dts file (not in a .c file anymore) I compile the dts file in the beaglebone and save it in the /lib/firmware/ directory in the beaglebone black. Then the LCD I attached now works like a custom cape(without the eeprom).

I willl be working on the the touch panel of this device now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours