If you don't live on the East Coast, you might be able to see a solar eclipse this Sunday (May 20). It's not going to be a full eclipse, the sun is only going to be partially covered. I haven't seen a solar eclipse before, so I'm pretty excited about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/sunday-solar-eclipse-visible-national-parks-195845913.html
Darn, and the East Coast is exactly where I live. Sad I know I've seen at least one type of eclipse before, but I can't remember if it was a solar or lunar eclipse, or both. Hope you enjoy it, post pix if you can!
KermMartian wrote:
Darn, and the East Coast is exactly where I live. Sad I know I've seen at least one type of eclipse before, but I can't remember if it was a solar or lunar eclipse, or both. Hope you enjoy it, post pix if you can!


It was likely Lunar, as a Lunar eclipse is viewable to a wider audience than a Solar. Both eclipses happen at the same frequency but less people have seen Solar eclipses due to how narrow the eclipse path is.

I'd love to drive up to see it, but I'll be in Los Baņos that day. :/





Here's the source of the path image and some additional info.

EDIT: Fixed an image closing tag and added link to the text indicating source.
This page can tell you if you will see the eclipse and at what time: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/JSEX/JSEX-NA.html

I live in OH and it looks like I'll be able to see it at 7:21PM. We'll see!
Aww, what? And the next solar eclipse for us in the East is not until 2017

Oh well, everyone else have a great solar eclipse Smile
qazz42 wrote:
Aww, what? And the next solar eclipse for us in the East is not until 2017

Oh well, everyone else have a great solar eclipse Smile


Albany, NY will have one in 2013
More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012
Yay! I live in Utah, so we are supposed to be able to see it. At 2:49, I'll take some pictures for all of you guys on the east coast.
flyingfisch wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Aww, what? And the next solar eclipse for us in the East is not until 2017

Oh well, everyone else have a great solar eclipse Smile


Albany, NY will have one in 2013


Really? Is that one going to be a full one, though? Well, either way the next one that hits my area specifically is in 2017 (I don't remember if it is full or not, though)
2013: I am not sure if it hits where you live or not but...
I should point out that you all should be very careful about how you view a solar eclipse. There's still more than enough UV radiation making it to us to damage your retinas if you don't have the proper filters for whatever viewing device you use.
elfprince13 wrote:
I should point out that you all should be very careful about how you view a solar eclipse. There's still more than enough UV radiation making it to us to damage your retinas if you don't have the proper filters for whatever viewing device you use.


Yeah, i'm thinking about getting a pair of arc welder's glasses from Harbor Freight


My view of the eclipse. My dad was able to make it to Lake Tahoe so he saw the eclipse in totality. I would have gone with him if I didn't have to be down South today, but pictures from my road trip will be up shortly!

Edit: Looks like Facebook upped their photo size again or I haven't posted any square photos on Cemetech. So, I uploaded a second photo that isn't square, which preview shows as not being overly large!
Cool stuff, comic, thanks for sharing! I hope your father got some good photos as well.
I'm sorry I miss this event
jorgea wrote:
I'm sorry I miss this event


It's okay! You're in Burbank, California? Very cool, I'm right next door and work at Buy More!
(Since we haven't discussed it, I'm co-opting this thread.)

We had another (less major) eclipse on Monday: Venus transited the sun for the last time in the next ~100 years.

The Atlantic has some good photos of the event (including the one above).
It was cloudy all day where I was, so I missed it :[ Awesome pic, though Shock Now I'll need to live until I am about 125 years old to see it again XD
There's already two images of the transit in the Photography thread, and I'm questioning the legitimacy of that photo. I suppose though that the clouds could help underexpose the Sun, the clouds in my photo didn't turn out nearly as cool Sad
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement