I can't see anywhere in the warranty where it says that 3rd party software voids the warranty...
Can't you demand to have the calculator back since they can't repair it for free, and you don't want to pay for the repair? I'm not sure what the laws say about warranties in the US.
I have the third calculator still.
Does somebody own a GQ-4X Willem programmer along with a TSOP48 adapter?
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4282
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3102

Then we may see if the ROM data has been damaged.
I will bring BrandonW's attention to this topic, because I believe he has an EEPROM programmer and a set of adapters.
KermMartian wrote:
I will bring BrandonW's attention to this topic, because I believe he has an EEPROM programmer and a set of adapters.

I do own a Willem EEPROM programmer and TSOP48 adapter which I've used to read (and re-flash) 83+/84+ series Flash chips. I'm not so great at getting them re-inserted though (I've yet to do it successfully -- my soldering skills are not that great).
Since the calculator is inoperable anyway, it might be interesting to see what's on the Flash chip now as a way of figuring out what went wrong. We could perhaps leave it to Tari and his fancy new soldering equipment to put the chip back in place. Wink
Are you saying I would send it to Tari?
flyingfisch wrote:
Are you saying I would send it to Tari?
I am saying it should go from you to BrandonW, for dumping, to Tari for resoldering, back to you. I am somewhat speaking tongue-in-cheek to presume on these gents' time and skills, of course. Smile
I certainly don't mind doing it, but it's less trips if it goes straight to Tari and his equipment, assuming he is willing and has time to do it (and the apparent skills).

If he doesn't, just contact me for shipping details and I'll do it.

In the meantime, I have many TI-83 Pluses I can practice on (I've been collecting them in a pile for exactly this purpose).

EDIT: It's occurring to me that Tari probably doesn't have the EEPROM programmer + TSOP adapter, and you meant I'd have to dump it and he'd have to re-solder it (if I fail). Sorry, just woke up. Smile So yeah, contact me privately for shipping information if that's the route you want to go (and everyone else concurs).
The S29GL256N ROM isn't in the supported devices list of the Willem programmer. Is this an issue? I mean, you only read the data you don't program it.

Also, when you receive flyingfisch's calculator, could you also check for maybe scorched ICs on the PCB? I guess you have a better eye for things like this. I somehow don't believe that the boot code or OS is damaged, but you never know until one checks...
Apparently he thinks I wiped the OS:

Quote:

Hi Mark,

If you are looking at the included warranty slip, I will bring your attention to two key points:

(A) The part which reads: "The customer shall NOT have any claim under this warranty for repair or adjustment expense if: (1) The problem is caused by improper, rough, or careless treatment."

I firmly believe that completely wiping the OS of the calculator constitutes improper treatment; it is impossible to do with standard use of our OS update and/or file transfer features.

(B) The part which reads (caps included, as in the original document): "THIS WARRANTY CARD IS VALID ONLY ON PRODUCTS IN THE COUNTRY OF PURCHASE."

In addition to point (A) above, we only warranty products that have been purchased. I feel we have been more than fair in providing multiple pieces of hardware; I am sorry that the OS was wiped, but we have surpassed the limit of free product we are able to hand out.

I have copied our National Curriculum & Training Director so that she is aware of our conversation.

Kind Regards,
Nathan

How could they know about the custom add-in then? It is irrelevant whether the OS is wiped as long as the boot code is preserved and it is very unlikely that the boot code got damaged (well, we will see what BrandonW finds out).

I have a feeling they are making this up just because they found unofficial add-in code and are unwilling to send you another calculator.
TeamFX wrote:
How could they know about the custom add-in then? It is irrelevant whether the OS is wiped as long as the boot code is preserved and it is very unlikely that the boot code got damaged (well, we will see what BrandonW finds out).

I have a feeling they are making this up just because they found unofficial add-in code and are unwilling to send you another calculator.

I don't know what I am supposed to do though...

I don't think we can make them, especially since I got my original calculator through the promo, not a purchase, and therefore I am pretty sure I am not technically covered by the warranty...
Quote:

When you get your calculator back from Brandon or Tari, let a friend of yours send it to the Casio repair if he/she also has a Prizm invoice with his/her name on it.
TeamFX wrote:
Quote:

When you get your calculator back from Brandon or Tari...

I never sent it to either one of them Wink
Quote:
I never sent it to either one of them

Well, you should.
We want to know whether the ROM is alright or if the Casio staff is right.

I don't expect them to open the device at all when it comes from a new customer. And even if they see the ROM has been manually soldered, they cannot determine whether an unauthorized person did it. In fact, even some newly produced devices have manually soldered ROMs sometimes.
They may have stored the serial numbers of the calculators they gave flyingfisch, though.
I don't think they checked a lot before sending the new device:

Quote:
Normally, I would refer you to our repair procedure, but since this was a 'gifted' calculator there is no receipt involved
gbl08ma wrote:
This whole thing is very easy to verify... just turn off the calculator while on the clock screen of Utilities, wait half an hour, turn on the calculator; rinse and repeat until it is broken. If I were a millionaire I would buy a bunch of Prizms just to do this, but I'm not... and the only emulator we have doesn't emulate the standby mode.

I think this is what happened to one of my Prizms today. It started showing the ABS NG screen when I turned it on, so I tried to reboot to see if it would disappear, but now it just doesn't turn on at all. I even tried new batteries, and that didn't work. I was planning on trying plugging into usb when I get home, but now I see this, so I assume it's broken. :/

Edit: I was using the latest version of Utilities with OS 2.0 (if it's any help).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours