OK, just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen to them.

I had my PRIZM attached to the computer via USB and after about 10 minutes the turn off screen displayed (you know, the white one with the casio logo on it). I did not have it in receive mode. It didn't turn off, it was stuck at that screen. none of the buttons would "wake it up" so I pressed the reset button on the back. The screen went blank.

I unplugged it from the computer and tried to turn it on with AC/on. nothing. I popped all the batteries out and put them back in. nothing. I tried plugging it back into the computer and pressed the reset button. still nothing. I even tried popping the batteries while it was plugged in and replacing them and it still won't turn on.

Can anyone help me?
How weired. I have not had that problem yet. You might want to e-mail Casio about the problem.
Yeah, I have already emailed casio. :-/
flyingfisch wrote:
Please let us know what they say. Since there's no backup battery, I recall there being an internal capacitor for the RAM. Try leaving out the batteries for quite a while?
KermMartian wrote:
flyingfisch wrote:
Please let us know what they say. Since there's no backup battery, I recall there being an internal capacitor for the RAM. Try leaving out the batteries for quite a while?

I took them out for 10 min. but I just took them out and I am going to put them back in and test in 4 hours.

That should be long enough, right?

EDIT:

Casio has not responded yet but I will post when they do.
Does the boot code let us send another OS if the current one is damaged, such as how the ti8x calcs' boot loaders can receive new OSes?
I would expect 4 hours to be enough, yes. I wonder if there's some sort of special key combination as well, like DEL-ON and CLEAR-ON on the TI-8x calculators...
Where's Ctrl-Alt-Del on the prizm when you need it Smile
There are the service menus which you can get to using some special key combination. I don't know if these combinations are posted anywhere on Cemetech but a web search should help. I don't know if these key combinations will work on a Prizm stuck this way though.

In my opinion, the Prizm didn't like the USB power and somehow the RAM (or worse, the flash memory) got corrupt. Are you sure the USB ports on your computer are 5V steady? Was the calculator connected to a USB hub, and if so, was the hub powered (i.e. external power that's not the only port that connects it to the computer).

Also, was the calculator over/underclocked when it was connected to the computer? If yes, with what tool did you over/underclock it (Pover or my OverClui), and what was the clock configuration?

Sorry for asking this whole bunch of questions, but I feel it is important to know what caused the problem, and specially, if it is related to changing the CPU clock and/or USB power.
(I have been using my Prizm with the CPU running at 94.3MHz while connected to a USB battery, and have had no problem so far)
KermMartian wrote:
I would expect 4 hours to be enough, yes. I wonder if there's some sort of special key combination as well, like DEL-ON and CLEAR-ON on the TI-8x calculators...

There are key combo's, but they didn't work.

http://prizmwiki.omnimaga.org/wiki/Factory_test

gbl08ma wrote:
There are the service menus which you can get to using some special key combination. I don't know if these combinations are posted anywhere on Cemetech but a web search should help. I don't know if these key combinations will work on a Prizm stuck this way though.

In my opinion, the Prizm didn't like the USB power and somehow the RAM (or worse, the flash memory) got corrupt. Are you sure the USB ports on your computer are 5V steady? Was the calculator connected to a USB hub, and if so, was the hub powered (i.e. external power that's not the only port that connects it to the computer).

Also, was the calculator over/underclocked when it was connected to the computer? If yes, with what tool did you over/underclock it (Pover or my OverClui), and what was the clock configuration?

Sorry for asking this whole bunch of questions, but I feel it is important to know what caused the problem, and specially, if it is related to changing the CPU clock and/or USB power.
(I have been using my Prizm with the CPU running at 94.3MHz while connected to a USB battery, and have had no problem so far)

The calculator was connected to an on-board USB port.

The calculator was running at normal clocking speed.

Wink

Also, Casio replied:

John Anderson wrote:

Flyingfisch,
It sounds like you tried the correct procedures.
Try brand new batteries and then press the reset button?
If that doesn't work, here is the support information link.
http://www.casio.com/support
Best Regards
John Andersen
Technology Coordinator
Education Division
CASIO AMERICA, INC.
570 Mt. Pleasant Ave
Dover, NJ 07801
P 973-361-5400 x 1509
F 973-537-8969
C 973-271-1305
email: jandersen@casio.com
www.casioeducation.com
Simply calculate the difference
P please consider the environment- do you really need to print this e-mail?

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:22 PM
To: Andersen, John
Subject: Casio PRIZM will not turn on

Hello,

I had my PRIZM attached to the computer via USB and after about 10 minutes the turn off screen displayed (you know, the white one with the casio logo on it). I did not have it in receive mode. It didn't turn off, it was stuck at that screen. none of the buttons would "wake it up" so I pressed the reset button on the back. The screen went blank.

I unplugged it from the computer and tried to turn it on with AC/on. nothing. I popped all the batteries out and put them back in. nothing. I tried plugging it back into the computer and pressed the reset button. still nothing. I even tried popping the batteries while it was plugged in and replacing them and it still won't turn on.

Is there anyway I can fix this or should I send it to casio?

--
flyingfisch
Looks like just a standard answer from the support department. Anyway, do what he told you to do, if you haven't yet.

Oh, and another question: was the Prizm running on alkaline or Ni-MH batteries? Was the setting on the system menu set accordingly to their type?

(looks like you got a long questionnaire for now, so I'll stop asking things now Smile )
gbl08ma wrote:
Looks like just a standard answer from the support department. Anyway, do what he told you to do, if you haven't yet.

Oh, and another question: was the Prizm running on alkaline or Ni-MH batteries? Was the setting on the system menu set accordingly to their type?

(looks like you got a long questionnaire for now, so I'll stop asking things now Smile )

Don't stop asking questions unless you're exhausted. Wink

The prizm had alkaline batteries and the settings were set accordingly.

SimonLothar responded at Casio-Scene:

SimonLothar wrote:

Is it still possible to invoke the bootcode OS updater?

simultaneously holding down F2, 4 and Ac/ON and pressing the RESTART-button (the calc should show a blank display after releasing the keys) and finally pressing 9 and x consecutively (hold down 9 and x about a second each).

If this display occurs

* OS ERROR
* Please update OS.

you can update the calculator with one of the available updaters.

If it does not work at once, be patient and try the key sequence several times before giving up.

That key combo didn't work either, but maybe it could help someone else.
I suppose that key combo calls some OS checksum tool. If the Prizm doesn't even get to the point of verifying which "special" keys are pressed... good luck. A friend of mine had a Prizm that stopped recognizing the keyboard events (it only turned on/off by inserting/removing the batteries), she sent it to Casio to be repaired, and they just replaced the calculator's motherboard (she lost all the data that was in the calculator).
gbl08ma wrote:
I suppose that key combo calls some OS checksum tool. If the Prizm doesn't even get to the point of verifying which "special" keys are pressed... good luck. A friend of mine had a Prizm that stopped recognizing the keyboard events (it only turned on/off by inserting/removing the batteries), she sent it to Casio to be repaired, and they just replaced the calculator's motherboard (she lost all the data that was in the calculator).

well, luckily i have all my data backed up.

Did she have to pay shipping fees?
I don't know.
I just replaced the batteries (its been 4:45 hours) and it still won't turn on.

Also, sounds like since I got this during the promo my warranty might not be valid:

casio warranty information form wrote:

Mr. Fischer,

Thank you for contacting Casio America. I am sorry to hear that you have
experienced a problem with your FX-CG10 calculator. Have you tried
changing to a fresh set of batteries? If you have not done so yet, then
replace the batteries, and then try powering on the calculator.

If you are still unable to power on the calculator, then there could be
a problem that requires repair. Without seeing the calculator in person,
I cannot determine whether this problem would be covered by warranty.
You can view warranty information by going to the following page on our
Web site:

http://www.casio.com/support/warranties/calcwarr

The bar code from the package would not be usable as a proof of
purchase. Your sales receipt would serve as the proof of purchase (you
can submit a photocopy and retain the original). You would need to pay
for the shipping in order to send the product to repair. If the problem
is something that would be covered under warranty, then the return
shipping back to you would be included as part of the warranty coverage.

We hope that we were able to assist you with your question, and again
thank you for contacting Casio America. As a reminder we can also be
reached at 1-800-706-2534 option 2.

I did not receive a sales receipt. maybe I can use the certificate I got for completing the course as a proof-of-purchase?

Or maybe since I did not purchase it I cannot get a proof-of-purchase
After emailing them some more (the girl at costomer support told me on the phone that I had to send a notarized letter to them, and i didn't want to do that), I got this reply:

Quote:

flyingfisch,
I will be sending out a return Fed Ex Label to you. Please use this label to send in your Prizm FXCG10 to our Service Dept. They will either repair it or replace it.
If you have any other questions let me know.
Gina Pezza
Education Marketing Support
CASIO AMERICA, INC.
570 Mt. Pleasant Ave. Dover, NJ 07801
973-361-5400 ext. 1573 Fax: 973-537-8961
Edutemp1@casio.com
So my prizm just did the same thing. I turned it off, it stayed on the exit screen, and I hit the reset button. Now it won't turn on. Any ideas?
Wow, so many Prizms with dead bootloaders. First flyingfisch's, then mine (I helped...), now yours (looks like it had some issues saving the main memory backup to flash, eventually it ended up overwriting the first sector). When will Casio learn that first-stage bootloaders aren't to be stored in erasable flash?
So do I e-mail Casio about it and if so who?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours