jwalker wrote:

Your idea of a free and open border will drain resources. It will also create a huge backlog when trying to grant all of those poeple citizenship, the government would have to hire MORE poeple and buy MORE electronics to get the job done, causeing more spending and thus draining resources.

Your barbecue metaphore also only works if they are actually invited. LEGAL immigration is just fine, but illigal imigration is not.

Protip: you make a much more compelling argument when you take the time to speel properly.
jwalker wrote:
Your barbecue metaphore also only works if they are actually invited. LEGAL immigration is just fine, but illigal imigration is not.

You're assuming there is a legal alternative for these people. There is not. What we call our immigration policy does not work for an overwhelming majority of people, which is why we have an illegal immigration problem in the first place. As I said before, people do not break the law because they enjoy being criminals, they do it because they have no choice. Give them a functioning legal alternative and they'll use it. Then we can start cracking down on the few left who actually are trying to do us harm.

We have this neat statue in New York you should check out some time. It's been here for over a hundred years now I think. It's this great big green french broad called "The Statue of Liberty". It has this really cool poem on the base you should read when you have a spare moment...
DShiznit wrote:

You're assuming there is a legal alternative for these people. There is not. .... Give them a functioning legal alternative and they'll use it.

Stay in their own country?

EDIT:

allynfolksjr wrote:
jwalker wrote:

Your idea of a free and open border will drain resources. It will also create a huge backlog when trying to grant all of those poeple citizenship, the government would have to hire MORE poeple and buy MORE electronics to get the job done, causeing more spending and thus draining resources.

Protip: you make a much more compelling argument when you take the time to speel properly.

Logical Fallacy: You are attacking the person, not the argument. Razz
Quote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
jwalker wrote:

Logical Fallacy: Trying to argue with overlord nikky.
qazz42 wrote:
Quote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
jwalker wrote:

Logical Fallacy: Trying to argue with overlord nikky.

lol XD I should have known better.. Razz

Also quote box
"stay in your own country" doesn't seem like a feasible option when you have no food for your family and people are being kidnapped and killed all around you by organised crime syndicates.
shmibs wrote:
"stay in your own country" doesn't seem like a feasible option when you have no food for your family and people are being kidnapped and killed all around you by organised crime syndicates.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
The best solution in my opinion is to make it really, really easy for them to become citizens and start paying taxes. MOAR TAXES!!!!1!one Razz

The citizenship test isn't really that bad, but it should probably exempt anyone under the age of, say, 13, since at that point they would learn it all in school anyhow. It's not exactly difficult, and there are certain things people should know as they enter a country to become a citizen, but they should remove the waiting requirements and such, as well as many of the required costs. They'll pay it back in taxes anyway.
willrandship wrote:
The best solution in my opinion is to make it really, really easy for them to become citizens and start paying taxes. MOAR TAXES!!!!1!one Razz

The citizenship test isn't really that bad, but it should probably exempt anyone under the age of, say, 13, since at that point they would learn it all in school anyhow. It's not exactly difficult, and there are certain things people should know as they enter a country to become a citizen, but they should remove the waiting requirements and such, as well as many of the required costs. They'll pay it back in taxes anyway.

I'm not sure the citizenship test is really a problem, as someone who wants to be a citizen will be more than willing to study for it. It would certainly become a problem though if strictly graded in a Jim-Crow-like fashion, so its definitely worth looking into. Everything else you mention are hurdles I agree need to be removed. The hardest-working person in the world won't get in if our quota is always full.

Keep in mind though, the value of immigration isn't just in tax revenue(admittedly, many poor immigrants won't be paying federal income tax), its in the influx of new markets for businesses to sell things to. Immigration means new people to buy your products, which means more money for the business, and, if demand is high enough, new job opportunities for Americans. Then there's the value of the culture they bring with them, which is impossible to measure monetarily.
I don't really see culture having much of an effect on anything monetary (except maybe specialized businesses, but we already have Mexican restaurants Razz), but I do agree on the other points. More business is never a bad thing, and neither is competition,

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours