Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
I have this laptop that I can't seem to get running.

I have attempted to install both XP Pro and Windows 7, and neither seems to be able to fully install. XP can't get past the registering phase, and Win7 goes into install mode after the 'Windows is starting' screen, and then the laptop shuts off. I've tried changing the hard drive, but it changed nothing. Should I suspect an overheat issue? I wouldn't think that would be the case because it hits roughly the same spot every time.

Edit:

I've removed the wireless card from the laptop and I've managed to get Win7 to begin installing. I'll see after the install if it will take the card, but no doubt I'll need to replace it.
If it continues failing in the middle of startup, press [F12] during boot, choose the verbose normal or safe mode, and watch to see what driver it gets up to before dying. Good luck. Smile Also, I'm debating whether this topic should be here or in Tech Open Topic.
It wasn't installing Windows fully, so the startup would not have helped since it wasn't fully installed. :< So far, things seem happier, but I guess I'll know more tomorrow.

Edit:

Seems Win7 wasn't happy on there, so running XP install on it now. Hopefully it goes smoothly.
tifreak8x wrote:
It wasn't installing Windows fully, so the startup would not have helped since it wasn't fully installed. :< So far, things seem happier, but I guess I'll know more tomorrow.
Ah, I missed that it was the "Starting Windows..." of the installer rather than the full operating system. Smile I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.

Edit: Windows 7 wasn't happy in what way?
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
It wasn't installing Windows fully, so the startup would not have helped since it wasn't fully installed. :< So far, things seem happier, but I guess I'll know more tomorrow.
Ah, I missed that it was the "Starting Windows..." of the installer rather than the full operating system. Smile I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.

Edit: Windows 7 wasn't happy in what way?


Claimed it couldn't install files due to possible corruption, which usually translates to 'this processor can't handle the awesomeness of Win7, please try something else'. lol
Have you run a memtest? Might be reasonable that installation procedures would be deterministic in their memory use, so you're seeing consistent failures due to bad memory.
I've not done that yet, though that's what I'm thinking is the issue now as well.
Tari wrote:
Have you run a memtest? Might be reasonable that installation procedures would be deterministic in their memory use, so you're seeing consistent failures due to bad memory.
Good call, I like that better than corrupt files == unable to handle Windows 7. Smile That diagnosis rankled me a bit. Wink
It's the same error that the Pentium M gave me, and you had agreed then that it probably didn't support 7. I've seen it happen on one other, and it ran just fine with XP without issues, hence lack of support being my diagnosis on some of those.
Shock I think I may have misunderstood; I thought that the Pentium M just sort of ground to a halt without actually producing any sort of error. That does indeed seem reasonable, though. I'm sure you verified that the installation media isn't scratched or something?
I've used the disc on a different machine since that point, yes, and it worked perfectly.

I'm going to try replacing the RAM later and see if that doesn't fix it.
That's true. Sometimes the media can be corrupted and Windows will die if anything in particular is missing. I'm assuming though you are installing from a legitimate DVD copy.
I've watched it install to the point where XP says it is saving settings and has 9 minutes remaining before the system shuts down. I've removed first one stick of RAM, then swapped them, then replaced them all together and am waiting to see if it installs on the 'new' sticks.

I will post the results of this test.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement