Ah, ok thanks, I didn't realize how saturated the colors were. I'll change it and post some more grass here.
LincolnB wrote:
Ah, ok thanks, I didn't realize how saturated the colors were. I'll change it and post some more grass here.

Yessir, and don't use a thousand colors this time (literally Laughing) Once you do that I can give some more focused feedback Smile
My first real sprite:

I used this tutorial.
Here's a very good read I just finished, by an admin on a pixel art forums site. Very good reference to train yourself to notice pixel banding (at least it had been for me): http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

The dude's a very good artist, but he's really obsessive about finding and fixing banding Razz so I guess he's the perfect guide for teaching such a subject.
Nice tutorial.

Color 101 note:

I agree about not using black. My mom paints with acrylics and one of the first things she taught me was that black is a "shortcut" (as well as pure grays). What I use is a very dark blue, or a dark orange. Depending on the colors immediately near it.

And, I think a great addition to this tut would be a color theory section. Wink
I have decided to start doing pixel art also, although I am not sure about the MLP ones. Here are my subjects, err quick drawings I am going off of.
Link, from Legend of Zelda, DS spirit tracks and phantom hourglass

This is a half-finished scetch of a phantom which I will be doing after I finish the Link one.

Any suggestions before I start? Comments, concerns?
Nice work! Smile What are you thinking for the dimensions of the actual pixel art itself of these? I personally think they could fit in 200x200 pixels and still be ultra detailed, or even possibly 100x100.
I don't really know, not ever having done pixel art before. What do you suggest?
zeldaking wrote:
I don't really know, not ever having done pixel art before. What do you suggest?

Hmm, I would try with cramming it into 100x100 to start.
I started bigger Razz How do I scale it down to 100x100?
zeldaking wrote:
I started bigger Razz How do I scale it down to 100x100?

How big did you start? If you've already started, don't scale it down unless it's a different size than what you want. Just see what you can make of it first, and then decide on whether you need to make it smaller Wink
I drew an outline, it's roughly the same size as the picture above. I think that is too big.
zeldaking wrote:
I drew an outline, it's roughly the same size as the picture above. I think that is too big.

Yeah, that might be a bit *too* large for a first piece (once you get better, working with larger sizes becomes easier and easier.)

I'll guess that if it's roughly the same size, it's about 250x250 pixels (maybe slightly more). I'd try going down towards 150x150 Smile
Is there anywhere on paint to check the current picture size?
zeldaking wrote:
Is there anywhere on paint to check the current picture size?

When you don't have anything selected at all, it's in the middle of the bottom bar.
Bump:
Here is my outline. It took me a while becuase I am just starting out, but I think the results aren't bad.
What do you guys think?
Not a bad rough draft of the lineart. I noticed that not all of the outline pixels are pure black; saving as a monochrome bmp and then resaving as a 24 bit bmp would fix it. (don't save as PNG until it's time to post it, though; png images screw things up a lot in paint; mostly with the color replacement side-tool of the eraser)

And of course, clean up all of the lines so that they're one pixel thick Smile from there you can easily fix any anatomical issues you have.
This is what I have of my pony pixel art so far. It's my friend as a pony.

Spenceboy98 wrote:
This is what I have of my pony pixel art so far. It's my friend as a pony.

Wow, that's large O_o Unless you're doing a very detailed pony pixel, you can usually use a lot smaller size than that. I usually restrict myself to 150x150 pixels when working with ponies, and I don't even use nearly that much space (most of my pixels are around 100x100)

In addition, the colors are slightly harsh (for the coat), and the anatomy needs some working. I found this large chart to be extremely helpful in understanding pony anatomy: http://img.ponibooru.org/images/5d/5d2e45a80d046352d54e732a2813d354
I originally drew this on a piece of paper. That's why it looks bad. It looks better on the paper. I posted the original on the mlp topic.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours