I recently switched from Ubuntu since Unity was driving me insane. There are 2 main things I'm looking to change with the default Mint UI:

1. Ubiquity or Adwaitha - I get errors saying that components are not installed, spent half an hour searching for the right packages and came up with nothing. Anyone want to throw me a softball on this one, or recommend a better UI?

2. Getting the start button to bring up the mintMenu. I tried setting the shortcut to <Super_L> and logging out/restarting but I get nothing. I would really like this, I like to keep my hands on the keyboard and off the mouse whenever possible.
jpez wrote:
I recently switched from Ubuntu since Unity was driving me insane. There are 2 main things I'm looking to change with the default Mint UI:

1. Ubiquity or Adwaitha - I get errors saying that components are not installed, spent half an hour searching for the right packages and came up with nothing. Anyone want to throw me a softball on this one, or recommend a better UI?

2. Getting the start button to bring up the mintMenu. I tried setting the shortcut to <Super_L> and logging out/restarting but I get nothing. I would really like this, I like to keep my hands on the keyboard and off the mouse whenever possible.

A lot of this depends on what DE you're using. Care to enlighten us?
"Adwaitha"- do you mean "Adwaita", the default Gnome 3 theme?

seana11 wrote:
jpez wrote:

A lot of this depends on what DE you're using. Care to enlighten us?

He says he's using the default Mint UI; in other words, Gnome 3 plus the Mint Gnome Shell Extensions (MGSE).
TC01 wrote:
"Adwaitha"- do you mean "Adwaita", the default Gnome 3 theme?

Ah yes, sorry for the typo. Maybe that's what I'm using. All I know is that when I ran the installation CD, there was this absolutely killer UI (Ubiquity maybe?). Once I finished installing and updating, a lot of the guts of that UI seem to have been replaced by the old-style Gnome elements - not that they're terrible, but the original UI looked much more futuristic and awesome.
I haven't tried the default interface but you should give cinnamon a try it is pretty sleek.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours