What is okay?
Men marrying women
 5%  [ 1 ]
Women marrying men
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both
 55%  [ 11 ]
Neither
 40%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 20

Hi. I'm creating this topic out of a desire for balance in the universe. I suggest that you out yourself (describe to whom you are attracted, if anyone) in this topic when posting for the first time, as more perfect information necessarily brings about a better-informed discussion. Any justification is welcome in this topic, regardless of perceived merit.* This includes gut feelings, religion, and well-reasoned arguments.

( * Necessarily, as this is the opposite thread of "Same Sex Marriage", which started out excluding religion** and specious opinions, I anticipate that by welcoming such, they will not be in evidence.)

( ** I am not saying that your religion is specious. I have a religion myself.)

I oppose opposite-sex marriage. I am attracted to both men and women.

A significant proportion of opposite-sex marriages end in divorce. Divorce is a priori a bad thing, as it used to be against the rules. It is no longer against the rules, but I think that's because of the moral backsliding that our society has inexorably espoused since 1950. Ask anyone who's at least 70 years old, and of sound moral standing. Plus, marriage leads directly to old people thinking it's okay to have sex, and that weirds me out. They're all wrinkly! It should be illegal to remove your clothes after age 50. We wear clothes for a reason.
Quote:
Plus, marriage leads directly to old people thinking it's okay to have sex, and that weirds me out. They're all wrinkly! It should be illegal to remove your clothes after age 50. We wear clothes for a reason.

Your point is valid.
As far as the opinion that one is only open-minded if they think or do not think a certain way ... it speaks for itself. I think open-minded means that other people have valid points of view (or perhaps that you cannot see the validity, but grant everyone the same freedom anyway); but stick to your values -- but only if you have a reason for those values. I do agree that saying something is bad just because you have decided it is or because people say it is, is closed-minded; but people need to be open-minded enough to accept that people have different values for different reasons, and those reasons can be valid even if the other person does NOT have any grounds to call it valid.

I personally do not support same-sex marriage, and will not advocate it; and I would most certainly vote against it, because I have strong beliefs about what marriage is and is not. However, I don't have anything against anyone who feels the opposite. I do feel that everyone has the same rights who are under the same laws. Everyone has the right to vote as they feel; and if those rights mean anything, then we have to be willing to be subject to all the laws, including the ones we strongly disagree with (e.g. paying taxes for something you do not support).

I also personally feel that the only reason that ANY (non-medicinal) drugs are legal at all is because so much of society demands it. I don't support smoking/drinking any more than I support LSD or heroine, and given the chance, I'd vote that way. But there are legal drugs, and good people use them and have fun doing so, and just because I personally refrain does not mean that I look down on anyone who does. But I also don't think it's selfish to be in favor of banning them just because it "takes away" from other people, because the laws follow the voice of the people (...well, in theory anyway), and there are indeed illegal drugs. I know some people hate this kind of analogy, but I feel that one who uses crack indeed does have the same rights as one who drinks, because they are subject to the same laws. I am against legalizing marijuana, but if most people vote in favor of it and it becomes legal, then it becomes legal ... I'll not support it, but I also won't/don't treat people differently for disagreeing. ... But I do feel that everyone has the same rights, even if they have different tendencies.
shkaboinka, this is not a same-sex marriage topic...

anyways, obviously we should ban opposite sex marriage, as it goes against my religious beliefs. And in a theocracy like America... Wink
Why create a thread on opposite sex marriage if it's widely accepted?
I think, and just think, that this is a mockery topic that makes fun of all the dumb arguments used against same-sex marriage. Ofc, I don't know, but it IS chronomex >.>
I'm against strong, faithful opposite-sex marriages because it harms the entire sex industry. A committed husband isn't buying porn or prostitutes, and those businesses lose money as a result. Think of all the impoverished single mothers who can't afford to feed their children because their potential john had to be "honest" and "faithful" to only one person.
And don't forget how the holiness and sanctity of marriage is ruined with all those divorces by same-sex couples. 40% (roughly) divorce rate right here in good old US of A
DShiznit wrote:
I'm against strong, faithful opposite-sex marriages because it harms the entire sex industry. A committed husband isn't buying porn or prostitutes, and those businesses lose money as a result. Think of all the impoverished single mothers who can't afford to feed their children because their potential john had to be "honest" and "faithful" to only one person.

Aren't same-sex marriages "strong and faithful" too? Don't they ruin the sex industry as well?
qazz42 wrote:
And don't forget how the holiness and sanctity of marriage is ruined with all those divorces by same-sex couples. 40% (roughly) divorce rate right here in good old US of A


Actually it was closer to 50% last time I checked. And that figure fits snugly with the data I can glean just from my own extended family.
DShiznit wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
And don't forget how the holiness and sanctity of marriage is ruined with all those divorces by same-sex couples. 40% (roughly) divorce rate right here in good old US of A


Actually it was closer to 50% last time I checked. And that figure fits snugly with the data I can glean just from my own extended family.


Ah, well, I just did a quick google search and it said 40 to 50, and I just hoped the lower number was a bit more accurate. Dang that faith in humanity.
If nothing else, I can agree that the amount of divorces between opposite-sex couples in America these days is truly disgusting. Perhaps as an interesting piece of data, someone could look into the average age of divorced couples in America? It'd be thought provoking if many of them are around the "wrinkly" age.
And something tells me that most of those divorces are not just for adultery. We should be passing some legislation here, people
I'm against opposite-sex marriage. First of all, it's not what my God wants. I'm a Born-One-More-Time member of Fabulosity, a fierce religion that advocates homosexuality. I believe that the All-Fabulous Lord frowns upon heterosexuality as a sin, and therefore I cannot advocate it. I also believe that My Lord gives us each challenges in life, and mine is making sure that breeders can't "procreate it up" with their filthy babies.
Second, it's disgusting. When I'm in public, I don't want to see straight people kissing. It's just gross, and wrong. You can do it at home (you filthy sinner), but not around me, because it makes me uncomfortable. In fact, when I'm walking around at night, I'm afraid that straight people will force me to have sex with them. Besides, why would anybody want to "do it in the vag"? Do they know that women menstruate out of there? In contrast, homosexual sex is beautiful and flawless and obviously not disgusting so you perverts need to get with it and stick to it (before marriage, while it lasts).
shkaboinka wrote:
I personally do not support same-sex marriage, and will not advocate it; and I would most certainly vote against it, because I have strong beliefs about what marriage is and is not. However, I don't have anything against anyone who feels the opposite. I do feel that everyone has the same rights who are under the same laws. Everyone has the right to vote as they feel; and if those rights mean anything, then we have to be willing to be subject to all the laws, including the ones we strongly disagree with (e.g. paying taxes for something you do not support).

I also personally feel that the only reason that ANY (non-medicinal) drugs are legal at all is because so much of society demands it. I don't support smoking/drinking any more than I support LSD or heroine, and given the chance, I'd vote that way. [ ... ]

I think that you may be lost. The topic about same-sex marriage is over here.

Also, LSD and heroin are not anywhere near on the same list. Heroin is an opiate, a family of substances that has been found to be strongly addictive. Overdose can lead to death within minutes to hours. LSD rather different. It is anti-addictive: a second dose within a few weeks will result in lessened or no hallucinogenic effects. And there is no known lethal dose. LSD does cause disorientation, however, which can lead to unsafe situations.

All this is off-topic, however.

What is your opinion on men marrying women, and women marrying men?
This whole thing is kind of hilarious. Thank you, Reo for using my strongest arguments in the exactly opposite direction Very Happy But they're beliefs, so it can work that way.
Reo wrote:
I'm against opposite-sex marriage. First of all, it's not what my God wants. I'm a Born-One-More-Time member of Fabulosity, a fierce religion that advocates homosexuality. I believe that the All-Fabulous Lord frowns upon heterosexuality as a sin, and therefore I cannot advocate it. I also believe that My Lord gives us each challenges in life, and mine is making sure that breeders can't "procreate it up" with their filthy babies.
Second, it's disgusting. When I'm in public, I don't want to see straight people kissing. It's just gross, and wrong. You can do it at home (you filthy sinner), but not around me, because it makes me uncomfortable. In fact, when I'm walking around at night, I'm afraid that straight people will force me to have sex with them. Besides, why would anybody want to "do it in the vag"? Do they know that women menstruate out of there? In contrast, homosexual sex is beautiful and flawless and obviously not disgusting so you perverts need to get with it and stick to it (before marriage, while it lasts).

Reo, your BOMT religion will die out, and straight people are not the only ones that are disgusting to look at kissing.
Reo, excellent, can I join Fabulosity? I can bring you so many recruits Very Happy

Quote:
But they're beliefs, so it can work that way.


But they are Reo beliefs, so that can work that way.
blue_bear_94 wrote:

Reo, your BOMT religion will die out, and straight people are not the only ones that are disgusting to look at kissing.

Yeah, ignorant bigots are pretty filthy too. Thank the Lord that I'm not one of them! I mean, I'm friendly as can be, just as long as something insignificant like sexual orientation doesn't come up, or else I may have to start praying on the spot||offending people passive-aggressively out of fear.
Reo wrote:
blue_bear_94 wrote:

Reo, your BOMT religion will die out, and straight people are not the only ones that are disgusting to look at kissing.

Yeah, ignorant bigots are pretty filthy too. Thank the Lord that I'm not one of them! I mean, I'm friendly as can be, just as long as something insignificant like sexual orientation doesn't come up, or else I may have to start praying on the spot||offending people passive-aggressively out of fear.


So....my "play nice" warning from the other thread applies here as well! Play nice, or I'll lock the topic.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement