I recently pulled out my old TI Silver-Link and TI Serial cables and was going to try out some programs, just for kicks. Unfortunately, I had several problems just getting my calculator to connect, which was odd, because I've been able to send files before. I thought the problem might lie with Windows 7 x64, but I know it worked with the same setup I have now, and I did try reinstalling TI-Connect/64bit drivers.

The problem occurred whether I tried to use the Silver-Link or Serial cables.

Now, when I go into the test menu (F5->Diamond + Clear->Alpha + S) and do the Flash Test, I get the following output:
"Checking BASE CODE

BASE CODE CHECKSUM FAILED

DATA= 2C6422A8
DATA = 2C5DD23F"

I read on the TI FAQ here ( http://www.ibiblio.org/technicalc/tifaq/?p2.htm#4.4.8 ) that it was due to a battery error, and that replacing the batteries would solve the problem. Well, it didn't, and after several wipes, clearing memory, etc., I am still having issues.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the malfunction? Has my calculator's port bit the dust? Thanks in advance.
That's not exactly the same as the error they're mentioning. They seem to me to be talking about the checksum on individual files that you send across, not the checksum on the entire operating system. It sounds likely to me that either TI-Connect is failing to work properly (which it does more often than you might expect) or that your link port has indeed come slightly unsoldered. Do you have another calculator you can communicate with to see if that works?
A base code checksum error sounds like the OS in flash became corrupted somehow. Are you able to resend a copy of AMS?
Travis wrote:
A base code checksum error sounds like the OS in flash became corrupted somehow. Are you able to resend a copy of AMS?
I was thinking of suggesting that as well, but figured that if he couldn't get TI-Connect to acknowledge the calculator, he might have significant difficulty getting it to send a new OS. Smile
Yeah, it seems like there would be a way to force the calculator into a boot loader receive state for a new OS but don't know how. I've virtually never personally mucked around in this area.
The TI-OS Downloader should work if he can get it into that state. The issue is TI-Connect when in normal operation asks for all this extra stuff when sending and receiving variables, including OS's, that the Boot code isn't designed to handled. Hence TI created the TI-OS Downloader which does the bare minimum communications for sending and receiving OS's.
There is a way to force a TI-68k to receive a new base code outside of the TI-OS: pull out and reinsert one of the batteries while holding the APPS key until you see the text "Press I to install product code...". Then press "I" on the calculator and send a new OS from TI Connect.
I think I may be having a similar problem with sending files from my 89 to my win 7 machine. Does the software acknowledge the calculator as existing, but freeze up when you try to do anythig? Oddly, the only thing I can send along the line is screen captures.
iconmaster wrote:
I think I may be having a similar problem with sending files from my 89 to my win 7 machine. Does the software acknowledge the calculator as existing, but freeze up when you try to do anythig? Oddly, the only thing I can send along the line is screen captures.
I find it quite annoyingly odd (as it sounds like you do) that you can get screenshots, which means communication is physically functioning bidirectionally, but you can't send/receive files. Sad I despite TI-Connect for this sort of issue, but I'm afraid I'm not sure the solution. Hopefully others will have ideas.
I just did a self-test, and yes, the same exact errors showing up in the OPs post registered with mine as well. I will reinstall TI-Connect and see if it works the next chance I get.
iconmaster wrote:
I just did a self-test, and yes, the same exact errors showing up in the OPs post registered with mine as well. I will reinstall TI-Connect and see if it works the next chance I get.
I hope that does the trick! Be sure to let us know what happens.
Sorry for abandoning this thread...

I have tried the options that have been mentioned and a few others:

-Reinstalling TI-Connect
-Putting calculator into Force Receive Mode (Remove Battery + APPS)
-Replacing Drivers
-Trying 3rd Party Programs
-Opening up calculator to look for damaged wires

Each time, there are messages saying that the calc couldn't be recognized or couldn't connect.
The corrupted OS could definitely be a possibility, but without a connection, I can't resend it. Any last ideas before I purchase another one?
1) Do you have any other non-Windows 7 OS you can try?
2) Do you know anyone else with a TI-89 you can try fetching the OS from over a unit-to-unit cable?
I'll try it on Vista and XP and see if I can ask someone who has an 89 and report back.
nandre wrote:
I'll try it on Vista and XP and see if I can ask someone who has an 89 and report back.
Sounds good; let us know what you find out. By the way, do TI-Connect and TILP acknowledge the calculator at all, or do they fail to see it? If the latter, you may need to consider checking if the soldering on the link port has come loose.
I have a regular Ti-89, Version 2.05. I cannot connect it with a USB Silver Link Cable. On ticalc.org, it says it's compatible. Batteries are new. I have not disassembled it, but I will if need be. But, before I do, can I have any more suggestions?
I think we have more questions Smile
You already gave three of the five most important pieces of information for understanding computer <-> calculator communication woes. That's better than some people, but in order to help you efficiently, we need some more information Smile

* what type of computer OS, and what version are you running ?
* what linking software are you using (presumably TI-Connect) ?
* if you're using Windows, did you ever plug the SilverLink into one of the computer's USB ports before installing TI-Connect or TILP ? (in that situation, Windows chooses a wrong driver).

Hardware issues (usually, broken link port on the calculator side) which would require opening the calculator are infrequent.
Okay, I operate Ti-Connect on the school computers, so I can't control the installation. It's Windows 7. I assume the techs didn't plug anything in before installing it, either. I can use the Silver Link with a Ti-83+ and it recognizes it, but when the computer is searching for devices, it won't show up. I got the Ti-89 at Church junk sale (good thing it was only $1.50, with the Manual!) So...
Btw, the Ti-89 won't show up in the search for devices menu

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours