I am using this nice trick: Render half the size, scale it up to full screen. FPS is nice and the blocky quality is worth it (3D > no 3D).

Since I am trying to learn and get used to this engine (I plan on using it quite a bit Very Happy ), i have experimented with other capabilities. I made another addin that displays a square that spins on the x axis with a texture. Works great! I am getting used to OpenGL ES 2.x again since this acts like it (besides the naming and the fact that shaders are just classes).

I will post a screenie later on, hopefully with interaction.

Since this thread is about this engine, I should ask this opinion here: Controls. This isn't pacman, I need more than up/down/left/right. After experimenting, I have a nice WASD/Arrow/2 button setup: WASD is 8456, Arrows are the replay buttons, and left/right buttons are either F5/F6 or DEL/AC. I chose these since these are nice sized buttons and are not cramped together.
PierrotLL wrote:
https://img.ourl.ca/rfg/3D_render.gif

Beautiful. /me drools
AHelper wrote:
Since this thread is about this engine, I should ask this opinion here: Controls. This isn't pacman, I need more than up/down/left/right. After experimenting, I have a nice WASD/Arrow/2 button setup: WASD is 8456, Arrows are the replay buttons, and left/right buttons are either F5/F6 or DEL/AC. I chose these since these are nice sized buttons and are not cramped together.
I'd say that that's a reasonable set of controls given that we're working with the key layout of the Casio Prizm here.
Well, I am having a slight issue: Everything outside of [-1,1] is clipped out of the render. Basically, I am having a great deal of trouble drawing anything and moving around inside it...

Perspective matrix doesn't make a perspective effect and the ortho matrix draws nothing...
Holy... This requires a new post:

I was bashing my brains (more than 2) out trying to figure out why all rendering was clipping to [-1,1]. Turns out that my perspective matrix was an IDENTITY MATRIX, hence the unit clipping.

Then, I found out that sin was returning 0 and giving me that bogus matrix. After running the add-in code on a PC and doing loads of PrintXY and cout, I found that division was completely wrong as the engine used an optimization assuming little endian... turning that of, tada! Everything works!

Try out the add-in! You can control it (not true camera movement, just shifting the x/y axis) and watch it spin around. This is running with perspective corrected texture mapping. The engine's affine rasterizer can toggle the correction.

Wow! That looks awesome! Nice work Smile
Thanks! I will try out some other stuff with the engine another day. Possibly restructuring the engine and prizm-required code for ease-of-use.
Very impressive work, sir! I hope that there is indeed something useful program- or game-wise that this can be put to. Smile
I am making a 3D checkers game to test designing and exporting meshes from blender. I will also see how well it will do with loads of models and matrix math.

Since there is no smoothing when textures are drawn, the checkerboard is easy to make. The pieces all use 8 sided cylinders and have their texture change depending on the piece. Selection will be done by drawing a square above the board.
Can't Wait for checkers!!!
AHelper wrote:
Since there is no smoothing when textures are drawn, the checkerboard is easy to make. The pieces all use 8 sided cylinders and have their texture change depending on the piece. Selection will be done by drawing a square above the board.
That sounds like it should be a lot of fun. I'm considering posting frontpage news about this engine plus a short blurb about the contest; any objections? Care to compose a paragraph or so about what this is and what it means? Smile
Thanks for considering this for front page news worthiness. I am still seeing a few issues, but the engine should work just fine. I can PM you a short blurb about the engine and such.

I am seeing an odd error (os crashing) when the square is look at from the top down (renders as a line). I am not sure if this is an engine, math, or general matrix issue. If I get a crash on Linux as well, then I can easily fix it.
I definitely feel that once there's some sort of game using this, or at least a slightly more complex demo of this in use, that it's highly newsworthy, Ahelper Smile This is really cool.
AHelper wrote:
I am making a 3D checkers game to test designing and exporting meshes from blender. I will also see how well it will do with loads of models and matrix math.

What model format are you using on-calc?
Heh, you asked the same question I asked myself. I actually don't know. I *can* have the models stored as files and then load them, but that isn't needed for this addin as I need 2 models minimum, the piece and the board.

I used to make models for OpenGL ES programs using a PLY importer. I think that I will write a script/program that will convert these to .h files. Nothing fancy, I just don't need external files when I have so much space in the add-in (The texture demo is 72KB with -O3).
AHelper wrote:

I have blender, but I never use it. I have no use for it.
Spenceboy98 wrote:

Wait, I'm confused.....what did that have to do with his using blender to test his program?
elfprince13 wrote:
Spenceboy98 wrote:

Wait, I'm confused.....what did that have to do with his using blender to test his program?
Sorry, my wording might have been misleading. I am making 3D models in Blender and exporting them to .PLY files. I am converting those to C arrays for rendering. Before, I wasn't sure how well Blender would export meshes since this is a new release and a lot of export scripts are missing or have slight issues. Now, the .PLY exporter should work perfectly for the engine and will test shortly.
No, I more or less understood what you were saying. I was just confused by spenceboy.
Well, blender's PLY export script is broken, so I will either be writing a new script (unlikely) or manually making each vertex (highly likely).

Besides that, I got a checkers board to draw nicely. I notice that the sides of the board have wrap around texture pixels. Not much I can do, other than adding in a frame to the board.

More work will be done soon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours