Why? Because people are mispronouncing it. While the name is supposed to be pronounced with a "k," I believe some people may be pronouncing it with an "s." I'd like to see your thoughts.
eeeeeeeewwww. I want me keys back, thank you very much.
And on the third post, Merth rained down with had NyQuil-fueled administrative decree:
Nope.
Then people would pronounce it with the ch- like cheese has....

If you want to change the name for phonetic spelling, why not just make it kemetek?
blue_bear_94 wrote:
Why? Because people are mispronouncing it. While the name is supposed to be pronounced with a "k," I believe some people may be pronouncing it with an "s." I'd like to see your thoughts.
It's been spelled Cemetech for the past 13 going on 14 years; I don't plan on changing it now. Smile I do appreciate your frustration with people pronouncing it incorrectly, though.
From experience, ce in English is always pronounced se, but there could be some story behind Cemetech being pronounced Kemetek. Besides, changing it to Chemetech would make some people pronounce it Shemetek, anyway. I myself was surprised when I discovered it was pronounced like K, but I have gotten used to it over the time and almost no longer say semetek when I talk with juju2143 IRL.

I vote that we let it as it is.
willrandship wrote:
Then people would pronounce it with the ch- like cheese has....

If you want to change the name for phonetic spelling, why not just make it kemetek?

Because it wouldn't conform to the IPA.
All in favor of changing my name to Wheregoose? After all, that's the most common mistake coming from newbies who haven't typed it before.
Weregoose wrote:
All in favor of changing my name to Wheregoose? After all, that's the most common mistake coming from newbies who haven't typed it before.
What do they call you? Whirr-goose?

Also, the backstory on the name: Cemetech was initially me (CM) plus my friend Ethan (EE) plus Tech. I am Christopher, of course, not Sristopher. Since then, I've retconned the EE to be for Electrical Engineering, my field by interest and training.
@seana11 but I'm a nonconformant, capitalist american pig. Since when does my default stereotype follow international guidelines?

@Kerm that makes perfect sense. I was among the semetechians at one point myself Razz
I have always thought it was kemetech. I must be a wierdo. but I vote no on changing it. That is like renaming the United States of America . because some people call it the
United States of Amrrr ica.
( I know a few people)
cemetech.net wrote:
Welcome to Cemetech! Since 1999, Cemetech (pronounced KE'me'tek)

Smiling Cat Good Idea
You cannot mispronounce it if the 8th word on the homepage is a pronunciation
Thanks Kerm, now that explain where the K sound comes from Smile.

Not to be too offtopic, but still on the subject of names, I miss the days where MC stood for MaxCoderz, not Minecrack.
I just pronounce it as "Kermismylordandmaster"
AHelper wrote:
cemetech.net wrote:

Smiling Cat Good Idea

What if you never landed on the homepage before, or never bothered reading the 8th word? Or, what if your friend mentioned in online and you start pronouncing Cemetech with an "S"?
Cement-tech? I like that too.
blue_bear_94 wrote:
AHelper wrote:
cemetech.net wrote:

Smiling Cat Good Idea

What if you never landed on the homepage before, or never bothered reading the 8th word? Or, what if your friend mentioned in online and you start pronouncing Cemetech with an "S"?
Oh no! What a disaster! You pronounced a word wrong and then had to learn the right way to say it! The worlds will surely end. I can hear God's trumpets sounding now. The archangel calls!
I'm pretty sure I was a Semetecher until the first time I talked to Kerm on Skype. Which was after I was an admin...

That said, there's no way I would want to see it named anything else.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I was a Semetecher until the first time I talked to Kerm on Skype. Which was after I was an admin...
How very disappointing, but I'm under no allusions that many of our users don't in fact pronounce it wrong. That's why I added that pronunciation guide to the front page a few years ago, so you can be excused.

Quote:
That said, there's no way I would want to see it named anything else.
Indeed, that seems more or less unanimous in this topic to me.
FWIW, I still pronounce it like "Cement-tech" partly to get on Kerm's nerves, and because that's what I called it originally Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours