Hello guys!

Since the overclocking made me come back, I start back my Pokémon battle system project.

I wanted to make a perfect copy (or maybe the closest) of the Fire Red Battle system, so I started doing "some" sprites : I hav the fornt sprites of the 151 1st gen pkms...

BUt with, for example formulaes, I'll need some help, it's a big game, right?

So, who want s to jin me and make a good Pokémon Stadium-like?

What I miss:

-Exact formulaes for almost everything
-Back sprites
-Fx sprites
-TIme and pals
One of the solutions to the huge amount of data that the sprites take up might be to put the sprites in an external file, keep a pointer open to the file, and just seek around that file to pull out sprites as necessary. It would slow the drawing down very very slightly if you did that for every sprite, but you could even cache out the two Pokemon for battles if you wanted. I'd strongly recommend this approach.
I already thought about that. I could do this with the source and some lua :-°
Eiyeron wrote:
You could trivially do it with C as well, or Python, or PHP, if you're talking about computer-side. Wink If you mean Prizm-side, it is some very very simple BFile manipulation in C.
KermMartian wrote:
One of the solutions to the huge amount of data that the sprites take up might be to put the sprites in an external file, keep a pointer open to the file, and just seek around that file to pull out sprites as necessary. It would slow the drawing down very very slightly if you did that for every sprite, but you could even cache out the two Pokemon for battles if you wanted. I'd strongly recommend this approach.

I would actually think it would be really slow to do this without caching, so if he did do it would would have to be that latter method (which, after loading the sprites in, would be then the same as if they were not cached). Perhaps you could keep all your resource in a single resources file, or even better, create a folder on the Prizm's storage memory for saves, resources, etc.
KermMartian wrote:
Eiyeron wrote:
You could trivially do it with C as well, or Python, or PHP, if you're talking about computer-side. Wink If you mean Prizm-side, it is some very very simple BFile manipulation in C.

FOr files projects on computer, I usually use Lua, because LuaFX :-°
KermMartian wrote:
That's just moving the data around though, right? This doesn't fix that there's a huge amount of data.
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
That's just moving the data around though, right? This doesn't fix that there's a huge amount of data.
The thing that it fixes is putting 1.5MB of sprite data in an add-in when add-ins are already severely restricted in maximum size.
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Well, one problem is that add-ins can't be larger than ~1MB, but files in general can be much larger. Keeping data in another file (or files) should fix the data issue, if even the compresses data can't seem to fit in.
RIght, but, with compression, I just use ~50 KB with my sprites...
16 colors compression is just what i needed, I did it :-°
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
The thing that it fixes is putting 1.5MB of sprite data in an add-in when add-ins are already severely restricted in maximum size.
Mm, ok. I didn't realize addins had a size restriction. Casio doesn't seem to care so much. Look at their GIGANTIC periodic table.
Eiyeron wrote:
RIght, but, with compression, I just use ~50 KB with my sprites...
16 colors compression is just what i needed, I did it :-°
Oh, I didn't realize that you had done that. Smile For what it's worth, SourceCoder now generates 1-bit, 2-bit, 8-bit, and 16-bit Prizm images and sprites, but sadly not 4-bit. Smile
A "bit" is lossed because of useless pictures

Edit: Here is my first Pokemon structure version

Code:
#ifndef STRUCT_MOTEUR
#define STRUCT_MOTEUR

typedef enum{NONE, NORMAL, FIRE, WATER, GRASS, FLY, ROCK, BUG, POISON, PSYCHIC, DRAGON, STEEL, GHOST, DARK, GROUND, ELECTRIC, FIGHT, ICE }Type;

typedef enum{KO = -1, SAFE = 0, POISONNED, BADLY_POISON, BURN, PARALYSIS, FREEZE, COUNFUSE, SLEEP, ATTRACTION, CURSE}Status;

typedef struct{
   unsigned short num;
   short SpEffect;
   unsigned char Type;

unsigned char PP;
   unsigned char PPMax;
   unsigned char Deg;
   unsigned char Prec;
}Attack;

typedef struct{
   //Identity
   unsigned short Num;
   unsigned char Sex;
   unsigned short ID_First_Owner;
   unsigned char Happiness;
   unsigned char Pseudo[16];
   unsigned char Pseudo_First_Owner[7];
   unsigned int Algorithm_key;

//Stats
   unsigned char LVL;   
   unsigned char PKMN_Status;
   unsigned char Status_turns;
   unsigned char Confused_turns;
   unsigned char Is_Attracted;
   unsigned char Is_Cursed;

char Att_Buff;
   char Def_Buff;
   char AttSpe_Buff;
   char DefSpe_Buff;
   char Vit_Buff;
   char Precision_Buff;
   char Dodge_Buff;

unsigned char Type1;
   unsigned char Type2;

short PV;
   short PVMax;
   unsigned short Att;
   unsigned short Def;
   unsigned short AttSpe;
   unsigned short DefSpe;
   unsigned short Vit;

unsigned short IV_PV;
   unsigned short IV_Att;
   unsigned short IV_Def;
   unsigned short IV_AttSpe;
   unsigned short IV_DefSpe;
   unsigned short IV_Vit;

unsigned short EV_PV;
   unsigned short EV_Vit;
   unsigned short EV_Att;
   unsigned short EV_Def;
   unsigned short EV_AttSpe;
   unsigned short EV_DefSpe;
   Attack Attakcs[4];

//misc
   unsigned short Item;
}PKMN;

#endif

Sorry for double post Edit by Kerm: No problem Smile
I would be very interested in seeing a Pokémon game! Are you planning to make this battle-only (like Stadium), or is it going to be a full game including the overworld? Most of the sprites from FRLG are available here: http://spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/pokefrlg/index.html Details about the game mechanics should be available at Bulbapedia and Smogon, but it might be a bit hard to find them on those sites. If there's something specific about the mechanics that you need to know about, ask! I'll probably be able to find something, and there are probably others who are knowledgeable about Pokémon too.
Ashbad wrote:
Well, one problem is that add-ins can't be larger than ~1MB
Physium would like to object.
JosJuice wrote:
Ashbad wrote:
Well, one problem is that add-ins can't be larger than ~1MB
Physium would like to object.

Indeed, I just realized that massive beast is larger. Perhaps it was 1.5MB, then; I think fishbot knows an exact number.
Generally, on these sites are only the damage formulaes
Eiyeron wrote:
There are lots of other things too. What are you looking for?
JosJuice wrote:
Eiyeron wrote:
There are lots of other things too. What are you looking for?
I should also mention that TIFreak8x has done extremely extensive research on the Pokemon formulae for his TI game, Pokemon Purple. I'll get him to take a look at this topic and offer his feedback if you have specific formulae that you're seeking.
Almost everything, like Catch rate, confusion rate, etc... But I think that I found some pointers on bulbapedia.

And Stats, I need a lot of stats
Eiyeron wrote:
Almost everything, like Catch rate, confusion rate, etc... But I think that I found some pointers on bulbapedia.

And Stats, I need a lot of stats
Details about stats for moves and Pokémon are available at the Bulbapedia pages for the specific moves and Pokémon, but you could also find that data on sites like Serebii.net. There are also some other interesting articles, like this one about how Pokémon are stored (there are also similar ones about attacks and items): http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_data_structure_in_Generation_III

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours