blue_bear_94 wrote:
Are you planning to add free-moving and trace cursors as well?
It already has a trace cursor. I'm not sure what a free-moving cursor is; can you clarify?
At the graph screen of a calculator such as a TI-84+, the free-moving cursor can be moved with the arrow keys, in any direction. Of course, in Graph3DP, you'd have to implement in 3 dimensions. Perhaps you can use +/- as well? Also, are you planning support for multiple graphs?
You haven't read through my posts, even the ones from yesterday, at all, have you? Razz It already supports arbitrary simultaneous graphs, although for memory and speed concerns, that is already capped at 6. Regarding the free-moving cursor, I can't say that I really see the point for a 3D grapher. I think it would mostly be confusing.
Wow, lots of updates. Can't wait for a release so I can play around with it more—I've unfortunately been underusing my Casio Prizm :/

And I agree about the free-moving cursor. It would be confusing if only implemented for two dimensions, hard to control if implemented for three, and IMO not terribly useful. I don't think I've actually used TI's graph cursor outside of trace mode for anything related to math at all.
Thanks, glad to hear you agree. I am wrestling with the issue of proper rotation, re-writing it from scratch, and might end up just deriving out the equations myself. As soon as I get that working, and add more help, I will release another beta.
*bump* I implemented MCS-based state-saving so that you can interrupt the add-in, go back after running other add-ins, and your window and equations will be properly saved. I also added an hourglass that gets displayed when complex equations are being calculated, and re-formulated the camera-position calculation from XYZ Euler angles and the camera transform from the same Euler angles. I need to add proper frustrum culling, and am still wrestling with rotating the camera properly. More information on that latter here, particularly if you have any brainstorms.
Kerm, I want to graph a 3D heart, but to do that, I need to do an equation of the format (X)(Y)(Z)=A. I know you're busy though, so I'll let you do what you're doing!
Sarah wrote:
Kerm, I want to graph a 3D heart, but to do that, I need to do an equation of the format (X)(Y)(Z)=A. I know you're busy though, so I'll let you do what you're doing!
I know, I want to try out parametric equations at some point, but I just haven't had the time to implement it yet. Rotation is proving to be a much bigger headache than it should be.
KermMartian wrote:
Sarah wrote:
I know, I want to try out parametric equations at some point, but I just haven't had the time to implement it yet. Rotation is proving to be a much bigger headache than it should be.

Couldn't you just have fixed rotation axis along the XYZ axis?
I'm sure it'd be fine only rotating around one of the three axis(I.E.: one of those axis is always running straight up and down your screen?)
I had proper arbitrary rotation around any axis, but it was from a fixed rather than dynamic point of view, which I don't think people would find as natural. I am determined to figure out the proper way to do what I am trying to do. Smile
Hi thanks in LA CG 20 may use the values ​​of the periodic table salts or acids to the machine makes one esperosu please answer, is there a calculator that makes calculations salts or ionic bonds hydrides Thanks

Hola gracias en LA CG 20 se pueden usar los valores de la tabla periodica para hacer sales o acidos la maquina los hace sola por favor esperosu respuesta ,hay alguna calculadora que haga calculos de enlaces ionicos sales o hidruros Gracias
Hi,
I know the topic is a bit old but is it posible to put this add in on a fx9860 power graphic 2 ? We are studying 3d functions in maths.
Thanks
jpto
jpto wrote:
Hi,
I know the topic is a bit old but is it posible to put this add in on a fx9860 power graphic 2 ? We are studying 3d functions in maths.
Thanks
jpto
It would probably be possible to port a monochrome version of this, although it would be much slower on the fx-9860 series. I don't personally have any of the calculators in that series yet, so I'm not sure what it would take.
KermMartian wrote:
although it would be much slower on the fx-9860

I don't think it would be much slower... The screen is monochrome, has much less pixels, and the CPU (on the newer models at least) is the same, only clocked at half the speed. If you take into account the fact that you wouldn't have to handle as many pixels or their color, perhaps the difference in speed wouldn't be that big.
gbl08ma wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
although it would be much slower on the fx-9860

I don't think it would be much slower... The screen is monochrome, has much less pixels, and the CPU (on the newer models at least) is the same, only clocked at half the speed. If you take into account the fact that you wouldn't have to handle as many pixels or their color, perhaps the difference in speed wouldn't be that big.
Hmm, then maybe I should consider investing in an fx-9860-series calculator and giving it a try. Is there an SDK roughly equivalent to our Prizm SDK (or better)? Which model do you suggest?
Is it true that graph3DP uses primary floating point math (I could not find the source code to verify) if so please remember there appears to be no FPU on the CPU I think fixed point math would be a good performance gainer.
Graph3DP uses custom software floats because the Prizm also lacks an FPU. I did not release source code.
The math core of Graph3DP uses floats, the rendering uses floats. I wonder @KermM, I was planning on updating Graph3DP to use the new API once gCAS3 matures, but, what about using a fixed point 3D engine, same one I used for 3D checkers? I mean, give it a fragment shader program to pick color by a hue shift based on the Z-value with backface culling would probably look quite nice.

(I haven't forgotten about Graph3DP, updating it is still in the scope of getting gCAS3 working on the Prizm.)
Yes I agree the math core is fine using floats because as far as I am aware the calculations need to be done only once. Afterwards the original data can be converted to fixed point and rotated around. Also as for why you did not release the source code is there any reason for that. I have released the source code for my prizm programs and many other prizm programmers do the same. In fact I believe that you are actually a minority in regards which programs are free software and which ones are closed source. You are not selling the program so there is little benefit to keeping Graph3DP closed source. I would like to improve your software. If you are worried that someone else would sell you work all you have to do is restrict that in the license and if you are worried that someone else would release a crappy version and say you did it you can add a clause in the license saying that derived work cannot be released under the name of the original author. If you are worried that people will ask you a bunch of questions that you don't want to answer just ignore them. All and all this is your software if you still don't want to release the source code I won't pester you anymore.
Just because you type out a set of usage guidelines and regulations doesn't mean that one is going to follow it. As soon as the source is out, you lose control over your work. If the content creator wishes to keep their effort protected, that doesn't mean that outside improvement is impossible, rather it can be safeguarded (ask for the source stating intentions rather than disapproving of their top-level policies).

To get on topic, the fixed point 3D engine I ported to the Prizm is slow, mainly due to shaders. Would be beneficial to find a better renderer.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours