I'm delaying releasing this until Friday. Why? Simply because I'm trying to make it stunningly awesome graphics-wise, and now I'm even trying to attempt to add in sound effects as well. Not only that, but background music. Probably this song:

Of course, at a lower quality, but that would be "totally f***ing rad", as Jappleack would say. The game is now technically gameplay complete, it's just not quality complete.
when will it be released???
UPDATE: very closed to being finished! Here's a "marketing" video, along with some
still screens from using the official emulator (I couldn't get it to work very fast on
the emulator though; on the calculator, it runs over 25FPS, but on the emulator I'm
lucky if it can go 3FPS -- the emulator sucks). Download coming very soon after I
work out a few kinks and add a "Sonic Rainboom" attack, for dashing through clouds in
a very colorful manner.

I'm thinking of porting it to PC platforms once I release the Prizm version, copying a decent chunk of the code over since they'll both be in C (for the most part -- the PC version wouldn't require the assembly code at all, obviously Razz), but facilitate porting using SDL.

EDIT: download probably coming today, and then I'll start the PC porting.
YAY!!!! Can't wait!
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
YAY!!!! Can't wait!

Cool Wink I'll try to get a final beta version out in a few minutes; still needs a few more features and fixes, but I'd like to hear what you all think of the advancements firsthand before I finish it entirely. I want it to be perfect by the time the Prizm version is released at 1.0, so I can have a good base to start the SDL version from.

EDIT: now in archives. http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=721
I'd get this but MLP = donotwant ):
Sarah wrote:

[This post makes me sad]

Don't worry, I'll eventually release a re-skinned version suited towards Robot Unicorn Attack. But it's low on my priority list (KermM wants me to finalize Raptor), so until some date in the future, seems like if you want to play this game, you'll have to deal with ponies Wink
Ashbad wrote:
Sarah wrote:

[This post makes me sad]

Don't worry, I'll eventually release a re-skinned version suited towards Robot Unicorn Attack. But it's low on my priority list (KermM wants me to finalize Raptor), so until some date in the future, seems like if you want to play this game, you'll have to deal with ponies Wink

You need to rethink your priorities Sad
Sarah wrote:
You need to rethink your priorities Sad

Yeah, you're right. I need to make Rainbow Dash Attack for the PC, followed by Rainbow Dash Attack 2 first before Raptor, and THEN go about with re-skinning it.
Ashbad: I'd vote that the older a project is, and the closer it is to being completed, the higher on your priority list it should be. Over time I've found that I'm most sane if I focus on keeping my pending to-do list short, even if each individual remaining item requires a fair amount of work.
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad: I'd vote that the older a project is, and the closer it is to being completed, the higher on your priority list it should be. Over time I've found that I'm most sane if I focus on keeping my pending to-do list short, even if each individual remaining item requires a fair amount of work.

I think that's a fair method, but I've found it doesn't work well for me. Usually, like in the case of RainbowDashAttack, I go after what I really want to finish first (that I've already started), and at least apply an update, if not finish the whole thing, before I move onto the next item. It ensures that the quality of all things are great, since I always put in my heart and soul while working with them Wink
Ashbad wrote:
(I couldn't get it to work very fast on
the emulator though; on the calculator, it runs over 25FPS, but on the emulator I'm
lucky if it can go 3FPS -- the emulator sucks)

Just don't use Overclock on emulator. Gravity Duck also fall to 6FPS if I change the speed (overclock and underclock give the same result on emulator).
I think we can find a way to detect emulator in addins.

And Sarah is wrong, MLP rocks Laughing
Just gave this beta a go and its preety awsome keep up the good work Ashbad.
My friend found 2 Spikes right next to each other. Haha!
PierrotLL wrote:
And Sarah is wrong, MLP rocks :0x5:

That's debatable.
seana11 wrote:
PierrotLL wrote:
And Sarah is wrong, MLP rocks 0x5

That's debatable.
And if you want to debate it, take it to the appropriate thread. Let's keep the focus of this thread on the game Ashbad made.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
My friend found 2 Spikes right next to each other. Haha!

Indeed, I noticed that too Sad they don't get generated often, but it's always possible you can have two on the screen at the same time. You could possibly even have 10 pinkies at a time, but I doubt you would ever in your lifetime. Just fixed that now; was going to yesterday, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder Wink
I really should be working on Raptor/Pover by now; but something has gotten in my way of that. I am now officially addicted to my own game. Yes, I can't get my hands off of Rainbow Dash Attack. I played it for two hours last night, and almost that much today during school. As Fluttershy would say, "I'm the world champion!" My high score, with the same build you all also received, was 65,048. Beating the supposedly "unbeatable" DSH scoreboard, which topped the highscores list at 50,000 points. The game in which I achieved this took ~15 minutes of concentration to the max.

So, I've decided to obviously raise the "unbeatable" points cap, but I've noticed from playing my own game so much, that there is so much potential to make this extremely addictive. Things definitely getting added ASAP:

:: Sonic Rainboom attack that lets you safely charge through a black cloud, but entirely depletes your energy bar
:: Slide attack that makes you slide on the ground for a 1-2 seconds, where you can pick up very low-flying apples (which currently can't be picked up... :/ ) and recharge energy twice as fast, but are defenseless for that slide time
:: Green apples appear super rarely, that give you another life
:: Green-and-red apples that give you a huge amount of points, but travel fast and generally near thunderclouds, and are very rare
:: More characters you can meet on the side of the road, such as the rest of the Mane 6, maybe some trees, more animals, and a house.
:: Compress the texture data to cut 300KB out of the add-in size
:: Improved highscore scoring and ranking, with longer input names and "bonuses" for scoring certain "achievements" while playing (collecting all possible apples, meeting all characters on the side of the road, never triggering an energy cool-down, etc.)

Don't expect all of this for at least a week. But now you know what you can look ahead to for the next release (likely the full, non-Beta version, I shall do another quality check in 2 weeks) Smile
Since you're using fairly low-fidelity sprites, consider using SourceCoder's 8-bit sprite mode, which will halve your sprite data size.
KermMartian wrote:
Since you're using fairly low-fidelity sprites, consider using SourceCoder's 8-bit sprite mode, which will halve your sprite data size.

I am actually planning on using it extensively, since pretty much everything can be palettized to that extent, and some of them possibly down to 16 colors (4 bit).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours