Nearly every math student has a programmable calculator in his or her backpack. The TI 83, TI-83+ Silver Edition, TI 84+, and TI-84+ Silver Edition are more than just powerful graphing calculators: they're a great platform for learning to program and for creating your own math and science programs, practical utilities, and even games. A few months ago, I was approached my Manning Publications to write a book about graphing calculator programming. I've completed six of thirteen chapters and two of the appendices, and I'm happy to announce that the first three of the projected thirteen chapters have been released through Manning's MEAP (Early Access) program. MEAP is sort of like Book v0.3 Beta: you can read chapters as I complete them and offer critiques and feedback, and then you get the full print book or eBook when it gets released in Fall 2012. To quote the official copy:

Programming the TI 83+/84+ is an example-filled, hands-on tutorial that introduces students, teachers, and professional users to programming with the TI-83+ and TI-84+ graphing calculators. This fun and easy-to-read book immediately immerses you in your first programs, and guides you concept-by-concept, example-by-example. You'll learn to think like a programmer as you use the TI-BASIC language to design and write your own utilities, games, and math programs. You'll put each new concept into action immediately as you unlock the full potential of your calculator. Along the way, you'll discover tricks to customize, slim down, and speed up your programs, and to learn from the many free programs available on the web.

You would be doing me a great service to join in the MEAP, and I hope that if you don't choose to make the investment and join now, that you will consider buying the book when it's published in the fall! I'm sacrificing sleep and sanity to make this an authoritative book, both for TI-BASIC programmers and for anyone looking to learn to program, so I would be eternally grateful to everyone who participates in the MEAP and offers feedback.

Official webpage: Programming the TI-83+/84+ to buy and participate
Cemetech project page: Links and additional information
Very nice! Although I know ti-basic very well, I want a book! Hehe, ask if you could do a Programming book for the Prizm...
zeldaking wrote:
Very nice! Although I know ti-basic very well, I want a book! Hehe, ask if you could do a Programming book for the Prizm...
I'd love your feedback during the MEAP process, then, since you have experience. I'm certainly far from infallible about clear code and explanations, though I do put a lot of effort into it.
Hey! looks nice! I am honored to be reviewing this book.

oh, and one thing:
KermMartian wrote:
Nearly every math student has a programmable computer in his or her backpack.

calculator?
Parser, I look forward to your comments and feedback. Also, great catch on that error, and I have alerted the website person at Manning to fix that.
While you are talking to them, have them fix the cover haha. The right calculator is still about a degree or two too far rotated to the outside.

(or I may just be picky)
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
While you are talking to them, have them fix the cover haha. The right calculator is still about a degree or two too far rotated to the outside.

(or I may just be picky)
Haha, I'll bring that up closer to production. For now, I'd love for all of you to buy the MEAP and start telling me all the things you like and a few things you'd prefer to be modified in some way. Smile
Hmm, that is too expensive, unfortunately. Still, I read the first chapter, and it was great. I trust the book will be a very good and useful one. I wish very, very much that you went by "Kerm Martian" on the cover - after all, after someone with a calc reads it and is intrigued, they will mainly find you as Kerm Martian, right?
This is cool, I'll look into MEAPing when my next paycheck comes in.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Hmm, that is too expensive, unfortunately. Still, I read the first chapter, and it was great. I trust the book will be a very good and useful one. I wish very, very much that you went by "Kerm Martian" on the cover - after all, after someone with a calc reads it and is intrigued, they will mainly find you as Kerm Martian, right?
This is true, but I'll be mentioning in several places, including the author biography blurb, that I'm well-known as Kerm Martian. Smile
Fair enough. Smile
I really can't afford to purchase MEAP at this time, but I did read through the first chapter. well written! I did notice one error, though...

1. In the Section "Why Program?"
"You might find, as I do, that you enjoy programming because it challenges me to take any useful tool, fun game, or helpful piece of software I can imagine and turn it into reality"

This is grammatically wrong. Just because you interject the phrase "as I do", the subject of your sentence remains "You". Don't say "challenges me". Should be "challenges you".
You're absolutely right, good call. Sorry to hear you can't MEAP at this point, but I hope you'll at some point have a chance to get the book. Smile
ACagliano wrote:
I really can't afford to purchase MEAP at this time, but I did read through the first chapter. well written! I did notice one error, though...

1. In the Section "Why Program?"
"You might find, as I do, that you enjoy programming because it challenges me to take any useful tool, fun game, or helpful piece of software I can imagine and turn it into reality"

This is grammatically wrong. Just because you interject the phrase "as I do", the subject of your sentence remains "You". Don't say "challenges me". Should be "challenges you".

and also "you can imagine"
Indeed, that's a good point. Added to the list of things I need to deal with.

Edit: (I think for today, 3/1/2012 only, but I'm not sure) get 50% off with code TI8384 at checkout! Huzzah!
KermMartian wrote:
Indeed, that's a good point. Added to the list of things I need to deal with.

Edit: (I think for today, 3/1/2012 only, but I'm not sure) get 50% off with code TI8384 at checkout! Huzzah!

Bam! Ordered (the ship hardcopy when ready option)! Good Idea
Awesome, that's great to hear! I look forward to all your MEAPful feedback. Smile Also, the marketing person just emailed me, and the code is actually good until Tuesday, my error. Smile
I don't know about joining the MEAP, but I'll definitely see if I can pick up a copy in the fall. Any idea where the book will be distributed? Are there bookstores that you can list that will be carrying it? Or will it be online orders only? Also, any chance of a copy or two ending up in my local public Library?
Pre-ordered! Congratulations on the book, that's really a labor of love....
rfdave wrote:
Pre-ordered! Congratulations on the book, that's really a labor of love....
Thanks rfdave, I hope that you enjoy it! Yup, I'm churning my way through, trying to finish a first draft of chapter 7 tonight before I pass out from exhaustion.

DShiznit wrote:
I don't know about joining the MEAP, but I'll definitely see if I can pick up a copy in the fall. Any idea where the book will be distributed? Are there bookstores that you can list that will be carrying it? Or will it be online orders only? Also, any chance of a copy or two ending up in my local public Library?
I hope so on all counts. I'll double-check with them about their brick-and-mortar distribution channels, as I'm equally curious. I am going to try to convince the New York Public Library that they need to teach teens programming, since they have a strong teen program, and I hope that you can convince your library the same. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours