http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2230/

From the article on IDW's website:

Quote:
They said it would never happen! Nearly five decades and 1500 episodes in the making! The two greatest science-fiction properties of all time cross over for the first time in history, in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION2!

When the Federation’s most terrifying enemy strikes an unholy alliance with one of the Doctor’s most hated antagonists, the result is devastation on a cosmic scale! Spanning the ends of space and time itself, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise find themselves joining forces with the Doctor and his companions, with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance!

Written by Scott and David Tipton, the authors of the critically acclaimed Star Trek: Infestaion, and featuring the beautiful painted artwork of J.K. Woodward (Fallen Angel), this is the adventure that both Trekkers and Whovians have waited for all their lives! Geronimo? Make it so!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

I might have to check this out when I'm at Atlantic books this summer. What do you guys think?
This already happened, only it was Torchwood and ST:TOS.

[edit]
That said, I guess RTD was keen to have done on screen, if the timing window had worked out. http://io9.com/5199817/the-doctor-whostar-trek-crossover-that-never-was
The biggest problem I see with a cannon connection between Dr. Who and Star Trek, is that you'd be constraining Dr. Who by forcing Star Trek's telling of future society(and all the stories, planets, and alien cultures involved) to be the future in the Dr. Who universe, as well as forcing all of Dr. Who's planets, races, stories, and technologies to exist in Star Trek. This would create massive contradictions in both cannons as well as hamper what either one could do in it's own story telling. The only way around this is to explicitly state that the Doctor, Tardis and companions are from an entirely different universe with no connection to the one the Enterprise resides in, other than this one point in time where they connect briefly.
The canon constraints would definitely make a mess of things, but the TARDIS can sometimes cross between universes, and so can a Dalek Void-ship.

Also, tifreak should weigh in on how he handled the cross-over canon issues for his Star Trek/Stargate story.
elfprince13 wrote:
The canon constraints would definitely make a mess of things, but the TARDIS can sometimes cross between universes, and so can a Dalek Void-ship.

Also, tifreak should weigh in on how he handled the cross-over canon issues for his Star Trek/Stargate story.

What think would be /really/ amusing is for a character from each show to quip about how the other universe is or was just a Television show for them. Talk about a mind freak.
They used other universes to explain The Doctor's Wife, so I don't see why they can't use it to explain the crossover.
I wonder how many alternate universes they'd need to explain this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e94e/?cpg=38448779&msg_id=38448779&et_rid=904699823&linkid=38448779_headline_e94e

Really cool, but at that price you'd need to be as high as the writers to buy it.

If someone combines this with the Star Trek one Megabloks released, I'll literally brick my pants.
DShiznit wrote:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e94e/?cpg=38448779&msg_id=38448779&et_rid=904699823&linkid=38448779_headline_e94e

Really cool, but at that price you'd need to be as high as the writers to buy it.

I'll probably buy it - if the bricks are Lego compatible anyway.

Quote:
If someone combines this with the Star Trek one Megabloks released, I'll literally brick my pants.

DW and Halo? DW and Starcraft?
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

I'll probably buy it - if the bricks are Lego compatible anyway.

Quote:

DW and Halo? DW and Starcraft?

Neither would be as epic. Those sets are still fairly common. The ONE Star Trek set they released is exceedingly rare, and goes for upwards of $200 on Amazon.
The one Starcraft set also goes for upwards of $250 on Amazon, at least until they kick into full production on Blizzard merch this summer, but it's no guarantee they'll make more of the current limited edition set.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours